A good deed and $20,000 Cache : Update

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to detect an old farm house last summer. When I showed up to do it the old man and several of his family members were there at the home, they asked the usual questions about detecting and the detector and such and I went on and searched the yard and made some decent finds. Also got permission to return anytime which I haven't yet. Anyway that was last fall, fast forward to about a week ago. I get a call from my parents that the people that own the house called for their son-in-law to see if I was available to look for a lost wallet. I told them that I would and we made plans to meet the next day. The man had been plowing a garden with his tractor when he noticed his wallet was gone, I had asked on the telephone if the wallet had any metal in it and he had told me it had a zipper inside and two metal snaps on the outside. It had a place for a chain to attach also but there was no chain on it. So we met at the plowed field and I searched it in a grid north to south then east to west, disc. then all-metal, only finding the occasional piece of rusty farm impement or a nail, 1 modern .22 bullet, then finally get a faint nickel tone and low and behold I pulled out his wallet. He was ecstatic. He tried to give me a cash reward but I declined and instead asked if I could have permission to hunt the farm that this was on. He told me anytime and after a few minutes of telling me where structures used to be and what not he told me about how this was his dad's place and how his dad had him to retreive the entire contents of a safe deposit box and $20,000 cash from the bank shortly before he passed. He had told his son on his death bed that he had hidden the money and the contents from the safe depost box which included the deed to the property in a gallon size glass pickel jar and buried it "on the hill" behind the property. We talked a few minutes about the possible location and the what-if's if I were to find it. So I am in the process of drawing up an agreement for an attourney to look at and then I guess this will be my spring/summer project. The area is not ridicously large but will take some time to search thouroughly. This is the first time I have ever been given 1st hand information of a cache and probably the best lead I ever got. I know also that I may not find it, the man was sick and maybe he just thought he buried it but the son did say that they had searched the entire house and never found the money or the deed. I don't know what else if anything was in the safe deposit box, I didn't ask and he didn't say. I will update when I get to start searching. Going to get my ducks in a row before I ever even go look for it though. HH

UDATE 5-5-2009: Thanks for all the comments and interest in this post. I thought I owed it to everyone interested to give an update. I finally got the agreement written up and signed. The owner agreed to 50/50. I know that some of you seemed to think I am asking too much for this amount but you have to understand that to get to the area to search for this cache is a 45 minute drive one way from my house. It will be my gas and my time expended and I will be giving up valuable hunting time that I could be searching some other spots that I have found. I think 50/50 is reasonable given all the factors involved and the owner agreed. Right now he has 0/0 so 50/50 is a great improvement. My first hunt on the property will be this Thursday 5-7-09. As far as the property deed it obviously belongs to the son and I am looking for that for free. I may not find anything and it's not like I will be charging for my time and effort if I don't. Anyway wish me luck and I will of course update this post from time to time and definetly if the cache is found. Thanks and HH.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Re: A good deed and $20,000 Cache

Good luck!! You might be able to narrow the area if you check on the hill portion visible from a BR window or some place he spent a lot of time sitting.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

How exciting! Sure glad you found his wallet for him and sounds like you might have quite an adventure planned out for the summer! Good luck!

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a cool story. I'll be anxious to follow this as it progresses. Please keep us posted.

What sort of agreement have you drawn up with regard to how the money would be split?

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

davidtn said:
What a cool story. I'll be anxious to follow this as it progresses. Please keep us posted.

What sort of agreement have you drawn up with regard to how the money would be split?

Thanks, I am going for 50/50, in our initial conversation this seemed to be the proposition however he was elated over the recovery of the wallet. Now maybe he will still be o.k. with this but I am giving time for that euphoria to fade and still see if he is o.k. with it. I think that would be fair as it is my time and equipment and sweat and up to this point he has 0% of the money. It's not like I'm going to charge him if I don't find it. Thoughts?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captain Loosechange said:
davidtn said:

Thanks, I am going for 50/50, in our initial conversation this seemed to be the proposition however he was elated over the recovery of the wallet. Now maybe he will still be o.k. with this but I am giving time for that euphoria to fade and still see if he is o.k. with it. I think that would be fair as it is my time and equipment and sweat and up to this point he has 0% of the money. It's not like I'm going to charge him if I don't find it. Thoughts?

Treat this guy right and you will develope a great relationship and a good name for MD'ers. Best of luck on this.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Don't be surprised if landlord pulls a DIY project instead of forking
over half. Luck to ya . . . . lastleg

K

Kentucky Kache

This is my kind of story...great feelin', ain't it.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

wish you the best, no telling what you might find on that place,

maybe something worth more then $10,000

a dear friend

good luck

CDMakaKvM

Greenie
Dec 24, 2006

Do you know how lucky you are to get a first hand lead with permission to search? I've been detecting on & off for about 20 years and never had a lead handed to me like that. It's a great story. I hope you find it!

oldcoyote

Greenie
Dec 25, 2005

Well, this is just me, mind you, but I THINK I would look on a situation like this a little differently. There doesn't seem to be any question of who hid the stash, or whose land it's on, or who brought the subject up or who the rightful owner is. OK, so I'm too old to be very mercenary about such stuff I guess. I'd probly be inclined to look on it as doing a favor for a neighbor while having a lot of fun in the process. This would put me more in a position of an agent on behalf of the owner, with every intention of delivering the stash to him with the lid still rusted on it. I'd get a big boot out of that, and a good deal of satisfaction. Chances are, he'd give me a few souvenirs out of there and let me write up the yarn (no names, etc.) for WET or somebody so I could brag a little. :thumbsup:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Captain: Sometimes we read posts about possible windfalls and in our glee we
overlook key details so I ask you explain the part about "buried it on 'the hill'
BEHIND the property."

Why would someone in their right mind take a pickle jar with the deed to the land
and 20K to a hill behind his property and bury it?

I admit I missed it on first reading. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks, lastleg

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

I have to agree with oldcoyote on this. I think a 50/50 split is probably way too much to expect. As someone else pointed out, he could easily do a DIY and cut you completely out of the loop. I'd be inclined to tell him that you'd be happy to help him find it and all that you'd expect in return is a small reward. The amount of the reward can be specified up front or left up to his discretion. It's up to you. I would think that if he gave you $1000 bucks that would be pretty darn generous considering the circumstances.

But hey... what do I know?!?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

know this-- often with hoarders -- the cache sites most likely was within line of sight / gun range of where they lived at -- so he could look out the windows of where he lived and see it and if anyone was messing about --- ( by seeing it he could protect it from theft ) --or esle it was hidden at a favorite "spot " say a --sitting and thinking spot he liked --say at the bottom of the tree that was his favorite deer hunting stand / fishing spot ---or along the old fenceline posthole --or hidden buried in the corner post of the barn / chicken coop --if anyone was mucking about at night looking for it the animals act as a "free" alarm system ---- since he was sick most likely it wasn't too far -- note old hoarders like that might have more than just 1 cache :wink:

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is there an update to this story? I'm not that far from you if you need any assistance...I'd do it just for the fun of it.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Yep....I can't wait to hear the rest of the story either. It's Spring/Summer now. Hop to it and good luck!

HH,
Moon

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What an exciting opportunity :thumbsup:
I hope you will keep us informed on your progress and any other finds you make at the site.

Personally, I would tell the guy to decide for himself how much of the cache he hands over to you.

Best of luck with the Hunt.
Mike

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

One thing I don't think anyone is considering. The value of the deed will probably far outweigh the small change of $20.000. Most farms are 25 acres or more and with associated buildings run into the $100,000 + area. The farm has a recorded deed that can be duplicated, but a original floating around out there could lead to legal challenges as to who owns what. Nothing is ever cut and dried anymore. Just wanted you to consider all the possible ramifications that are possible with such an endeavor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread