A good way to clean coins

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
To all

What you need is an electrolysis system. You can make your own and here is how.

1. Find in your house a transformer says 6 watt or so. This is the type of thing that we use on plug-ins for calculators. I use a T.I. CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER. The output is DC 6V and Input is AC 120V 60Hz 6W. They are common and are DC units so no 110 volt stuff.
2. Get a small plastic or glass container like a cooking cup.
3. Baking soda.
4. Take the transformer, cut the wires at the end, and strip the wire back.
5. Note that one end will be positive and the other negative. The one with the stripe should be the positive end. But you will want to check it to be sure.
6. Mix two teaspoons of baking soda in a cup of water, (This is non corrosive un-like salt). This is your conductor.
7. Place a stainless steel spoon or knife in the solution with the negative wire clipped to it. I use a steel clip for papers like you get at the office.
8. Place the object you like on the positive clip. This will clean the object by way of an ionic method. Keep the object in the solution and not the clip holding it. You must have a metal to metal connection to the wire
9. Watch the object closely, after a time go to the sink, and brush it with a toothbrush. This will lift off the scum.
10. Start with an item you can stand to damage to verify you have the polarity correct (copper penny). The positive end should be the one that bubbles. The gas is CO2.

You will find that this work very well with scum and actually re-builds the object back by forcing the separated atoms back onto the object that has corroded off. The system acts like a car battery in reverse. It is safe and will not scare the object.

You will learn how to do it better when you work at it. It turns the solution black so do not get it on the carpet or the wife will beat you for it.

After a hunt I look forward to the cleaning 8) to see what I really have.

Let me know how it works. Or if you have questions.

Later

SWalker

clhall87

Oct 13, 2004
thanks spwalker
my spoon and penny both bubble. my water turns green instead of black ok?
clhall87

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:)Thanks for the Info,Printed and and will have to try.Must have about ten of the transformers laying around.HH

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not put coins you feel maybe rare or valuable in this system! I use electrolysis and the results vary greatly. I have really messed up some decent coins using this, so beware. This will turn copper coins black and really does a number on old nickels. Turned my first buffalo nickel purple using this method, but seems to work well on silver provided you monitor the procedure closely and keep the session short. Do not use baking soda! I built mine according to the above directions months ago and used baking soda and thats what screwed my coins up! Common table salt is the best conductor i have tried so far. Good luck 8)

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used this method. only use salt and when done rinse coin with water then rub with baking soda to stop the process. also if you have high iron content in your water it will make quarters,nickels,dimes look like a penny. so i have to use bottled water.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just learned something new " HIGH IRON CONTENT " I thought the process was taking the silver colored coating off :) was too long of a process for me, cleaning clad anyway. I just use them in machines, & slip 1 or 2 in with other change when I buy something at the stores now.

D

Dew

I agree with Michigan Badger, Distilled water or RO(resverse osmosis) water would be the safest. When minerals are taken out of the water through reverse osmosis or distilled, water will always try to find its balance and will leach what it needs to try and get back what was lost.
Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread