What's new

A Great example of why you need to dig everything

TommyB

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2013
Messages
579
Reaction score
863
Golden Thread
0
Location
OC, Calif
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Specifically, BEACH detecting. I ran across this recent video on youtube, Tony has a Nox and decided to graph his finds based on how they ring up on the VDI, Check out his Video and how varied the finds ring up.
 
Last edited:
You are correct. Dig it all.
 
Well ... yes and no. For relicky situations, beach hunting , etc... Sure. But there are other locations where cherry-picking is in order. Where "digging all" could make someone go psycho.

I recall one gigantic Rodeo grandstands bleachers demolition, where the entire under-belly, beneath the slat seating, had been hard-pan terra-firma. When they were finally demolished, we had only a few days before fill-dirt was added.It was an ocean of foil and tabs (from 70 yrs. of spectator spoils raining down from above).

If we had tried to "be heroic" and angle for nickels and jewelry, we'd have been forever glued to a single fraction of the real estate. Instead, we knocked out everything below square tab, and went for silver. Yup, kiss nickels and gold rings good-bye. There simply wasn't any choice.

So the admonition of "dig all" needs some qualifiers sometimes :)
 
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:
 
I think most people who have been detecting awhile, know that the higher pitched tones and numbers may possibly be silver. They also know that certain targets like pulltabs, foil, and nickels, share the same VDI range as gold. When working a sandy surface that is usually what is found at a beach, it is much easier to dig. So,, at the BEACH,, there is no reason not to dig everything.
 
With my Deus, I can tell the small lightweight trash aluminum. I dug it for a long time, but no longer, now the higher reading aluminum I dig, as some of it is actually gold. I haven't guess wrong yet.
 
I can tell pull tabs by the vdi bounce gold stays within 1 or 2 of solid signal
 
Very informative. Thanks for sharing!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom