What's new

A great tip

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
1,053
Reaction score
1,565
Golden Thread
0
Location
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Im a contractor and do alot of building and remodeling. Ocassionally homeowners will give me a tip, or buy lunch for the guys and I. Cool.
Last week I did a job for a friend, I was grateful for the work because it was inside, and the temps outside were below freezing. Heck they were below 0. So because of that, and being a friend, I cut him a little slack on the labor cost.
So when we were done with the job, he wanted to show me something. He knows that I like coins and do lots of metal detecting. He opened his safe and pulled out a stack of large notes, two inches thick. He went thru them and picked out six, and gave them to me. Wow!!!
He then showed me a box that had twenty, or thirty, or more assorted gold coins in it. Jokingly, I said he could pay the bill with those. He said "I can". But I couldn't do that, because I need to pay the help, for materials, and my bills. Winter in the north is a lean time for contractors. He wants me back next week for another project, I may rethink this. I might have to take at least a $1- gold coin. But those beautiful St Gaudens will have to stay with him.
IMG_20150220_104022.webp
 
You were paid well :)
 
Very nice pay day indeed!
 
Funny you brought that up. I'm a builder here in Maine and work for a very wealthy client quite often. He was a life saver this winter and had me work at his house all winter long. I built custom walk in closets and I built him a huge custom shower room with a bench. Then I did a ton of drywall work and painting and several other things. Anyway he knows that I metal detect and that I love old coins. So one day he shows me a stack of gold Krugerrands. I'm talking hundreds of them. So I've decided that I'm definitely going to take a few of them as payment this spring when things wind up again and I can justify being paid in gold coins that will just sit in my safe or safe deposit box. These coins are beautiful and are one Troy ounce of fine gold. I probably don't really need them but gosh darnit I like them and I'm gonna have me some
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom