A Gudlukk kind of day

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited by dfallis1 to go on an adventure in Bel Air, MD. The day was cold, the wind was blowing, and it was my first time out in about a year! I think this trip reeled me in and now I want to join our local club! The site used to be farmland and I started the day off finding only a couple of pennies. After finding 16 cents (1 dime and 6 pennies), I decided it was time to try and change my gameplan. I met up with dfallis1 and told him where I wanted to go and as we were walking in the general direction we noticed some old (very old) fence posts standing in a line among some trees. We started detecting and the first tree I walked up to was holding this guy right near its roots.
It seems to be a Rexall's Drug Store coin. Odd find, but odd is what I like! Can anyone put a date on it?
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
After finding a bunch of iron and cans, I approached an uprooted tree and noticed something laying up against the roots. It's part of a plow, but I can't figure out the date on it.
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG

After finding this relic, the hunt ended in dfallis1 and I leaving for the day. Can't wait to head back and hit up some more spots! Dfallis1 had some neat finds, hopefully sharing his finds soon!

Until next time, cheers!

Upvote 8
OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Trapperart!

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks nhbenz!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice token recovery, congratulations! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The company started in 1898 but operated under other various names and was based in various cities. It became Rexall in 1943 and was based in Boston up until this particular year and then moved to L.A. I would base the token starting in 1943 unless there is other info out there stating its earlier.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Professor!

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The company started in 1898 but operated under other various names and was based in various cities. It became Rexall in 1943 and was based in Boston up until this particular year and then moved to L.A. I would base the token starting in 1943 unless there is other info out there stating its earlier.
Thanks for that info Trezure! It's nice to be able to put a date on it! Just one question, did the U.S. still use the swastika as a symbol at that time?

About the plow point, I've done a little research and seems to be an Oliver plow point. I can faintly see where numbers/letters are but there is a great deal of rust on it so I can't really make anything out.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
No, 1943 wasn't the start of Rexall. It was in that year that United Drug, which owned the Rexall chain and others rebranded the others to Rexall, so Those became Rexall. But Rexall started as mentioned in 1920. And no, a US based company would not have used the swastika in 1943.
Reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexall
added: their line of pharmacy items was even earlier, but stores weren't branded as such.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotchya! Thank you! I'll keep this token and hope it brings me some Gud Lukk! :icon_thumleft:

Tim8758

Mar 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotchya! Thank you! I'll keep this token and hope it brings me some Gud Lukk! :icon_thumleft:

I found that same coin in a wall. I was remodeling a house. After research I found the coin to be valued at between $16 and $29 dollars. It was minted in the 1920's and the Swastika was supposed to be a good luck symbol.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLD SIDEBOARD PLOW SHARE ?? NICE FINDS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread