a gun and trunk handle

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these two iron relics and had to spend some time decrusting them. I know for some, the cleaning of iron artifacts can be a real pain, but I have always liked giving them a go. You just never know what's hiding under it all till you peel off the extra baggage. The little pocket pistol had me excited as the shape seemed right, but then the cylinder showed its face and it was a stationary chamber....Noooooo, a cap gun. It was still a fun one to dig.... and uncover once it was uncovered. Not really sure what kind of caps it fired, it looks like a .22 casing would fit in the barrel.Seema a bit dangerous for a kid to have had if that's the case. Not one marking on it which I thought strange, but I know it is a Smith and Wesson grip design. Have seen several of these handles on here lately, probably from a steamer trunk ...or a strong box:laughing7:

DSC00039.JPG DSC00041.JPG DSC00044.JPG DSC00022.JPG DSC00037.JPG DSC09999.JPG

Upvote 9

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example... cool find.

old%20chest%20end%20view.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I admire your cleaning ability!

With my luck I will find not an old rusty gun but a full functioning loaded one that I will then get to answer a lot of questions about to the police.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That cap gun cleaned up really well. Did you just knock off the rust or use electrolysis?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job cleaning them. You know what your doing, may hat;s off to ya

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my electrolysis setup which is best on heavier encrusted artifacts. It took about two weeks and a few water changes and several picking sessions where the chunks of rust fall off with little persuasion. I am now leaving them in distilled water for a leaching period, which will help remove the death dealing chlorides which has been absorbed into the iron. When I am satisfied with this step, I will coat with a protective concoction.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow don't think I would have been able to clean those up, thats some really bad encrustation. Was the cap gun actually made out of iron or some kind of pot metal ?

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow don't think I would have been able to clean those up, thats some really bad encrustation. Was the cap gun actually made out of iron or some kind of pot metal ?

Without doing some metallurgical test, I wouldn't know for certain. This could have been made with either type metal, but usually pot metal objects that I find do not clean well after this long in the ground, usually they deteriorate on their own. This little gun is highly magnetic, so it is doubtful that it is made up of alloys of different types. It is heavy and well built without a seam along the barrel leading me to think a cast iron piece...but then again these have been made using both metal types.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and love how it cleaned up

Top Member Reactions