Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm on the edge of my cistern waiting for the results!
Be safe and think about every step!
Good luck!

Remerick

Aug 23, 2006
Manassas, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT/Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just got another 1/2 foot of snow, plus more snow tomorrow, so I don't know when I'll be going out there again.
I'm not afraid to open it, but I'm leery of a few things:

- I break the cap and leave a dangerous hole for people and animals
- I get too curious and drop my camera (phone) down the hole and then try to retrieve it
- stuff like that.

I've mentioned it to a couple friends and I'll have no problem getting someone to help me move the cap.

Have you taken a look at minedat.org? There is a remote possibility that this could be an old mine which has been sealed to prevent anyone from falling in and injuring themselves. Minedat has locations of mining activity in a given area. You should be able to search by locality and see if there has been any mining activity in the area. This will give you GPS coordinates of mines in the area and types of minerals mined.

Keep us posted, this is very intriguing.

Rob

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing at minedat.org
Actually I can only get to that site if I put the 'www.' in front of it.

Nothing else to report. I got out there yesterday for the first time in at least a week. It's still there...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless there's something I don't understand I still suggest just raising the cap with a lever and blocking it up to have a look inside.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Covered with snow right now.
I have a buddy lined up to go out there when it melts.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That there be ye old DevilsThroat :piratehand:"could be anything under or down there!Good luck man!Hope you get into somthing good!

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
It very well could be a stream. And years ago that stream could have been on the surface. Hard to say what it was like then.
Wh

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could be a stream. And years ago that stream could have been on the surface. Hard to say what it was like then.
Wh

It could also be older than I originally thought. I believed cement was used with stone in the US beginning around 1820.
But recently I was researching an old windmill of similar construction about miles from here which dates back to before 1710.
It began as a windmill and then was used as a powder house during the Revolutionary war.

Last edited:

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a hard read, kinda like watching a 4 year old trying to get into a locked car. Probe for an opening, dig it out, tell us what is inside!!!! Or pop the top for crying out loud and have a look.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a hard read, kinda like watching a 4 year old trying to get into a locked car. Probe for an opening, dig it out, tell us what is inside!!!! Or pop the top for crying out loud and have a look.

It's covered with snow and ice a couple feet deep right now.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But in the name of 'research' I shirked my responsibilities and went out there for a quick look this afternoon - it's a toasty 40 degrees today.

The main trails are good due to people snowshoeing and packing them down.
The side trails are worse - it's like walking in deep sand.
I didn't get real close to the mound because I don't want to leave tracks too close, but it's still there!

snow1.JPG snow4.JPG snow3.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions