Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about this thread wondering how things were going.
Hopefully you can get your hands on a camera that you can lower into it.

We have had a lot of rain/snow, the mound may be unstable when it thaws if it's base is dirt and rocks, please be careful.
Hopefully you can also check the area out with a detector.
We all appreciate some excitement after this winter! GL HH

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Wow, this thread started November the 23rd and it's still going on, open that sucker up already, if the lid breaks put all the pieces in the hole (after you check it out of course) with a bunch of other debris and call it a day bro!!!!!

I agree. Not saying this is a waste of data or anything but crack that sucker open. Bring a sledge and if there is nothing there, fill in the hole with the broken pieces. Have you dropped a stone in to see how deep it goes? This is turning out to be the same kind of post as the plantation strongbox.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, this thread started November the 23rd and it's still going on, open that sucker up already, if the lid breaks put all the pieces in the hole (after you check it out of course) with a bunch of other debris and call it a day bro!!!!!

I'm not going to leave an open hole out in the woods if I can help it. It's gotta be 10 feet deep.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Not saying this is a waste of data or anything but crack that sucker open. Bring a sledge and if there is nothing there, fill in the hole with the broken pieces. Have you dropped a stone in to see how deep it goes? This is turning out to be the same kind of post as the plantation strongbox.

Snow.
Snow, Ice and Snow.
And I'm old and not in a hurry.
I think you dudes just like me for my mound. haha.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snow.
Snow, Ice and Snow.
And I'm old and not in a hurry.
I think you dudes just like me for my mound. haha.

The lid is cement and 3 feet across. I lifted it a couple inches during the January thaw, but it has to be lifted and slid over to get a look inside.
I've got a buddy lined up to help me.

I don't want to break the lid. Animals or people could fall 10 feet if they found it with an open lid.

I mentioned this earlier (way back) but let me ask this.... Does the lid seem like it overlaps the opening enough to just use a lever and then block it up say 12" to get a look inside? This way you won't have to move it off the opening it's covering. But maybe with 2 guys it won't be that heavy. If you do decide to lever and block surely a 3 point stance would be adequate with small blocks. 2 would work fine if the blocks were say 12" long....? Just a reminder: Don't forget the string and weight.

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be an old septic tank.

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Jeopardy theme*

Aw dang, nothin yet...will check back every so often...do you have a GoPro or similar small videocam to lower inside (with a lightsource of some kind, LED probably safest as you don't know what's in there and wouldn't want to risk igniting anything) once you and buddy push the lid open?

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned this earlier (way back) but let me ask this.... Does the lid seem like it overlaps the opening enough to just use a lever and then block it up say 12" to get a look inside? This way you won't have to move it off the opening it's covering. But maybe with 2 guys it won't be that heavy. If you do decide to lever and block surely a 3 point stance would be adequate with small blocks. 2 would work fine if the blocks were say 12" long....? Just a reminder: Don't forget the string and weight.

Good point. Yes it does have a good overlap. At least 6" as far as I can tell. Thanks Limit.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Jeopardy theme* Aw dang, nothin yet...will check back every so often...do you have a GoPro or similar small videocam to lower inside (with a lightsource of some kind, LED probably safest as you don't know what's in there and wouldn't want to risk igniting anything) once you and buddy push the lid open?
The dude who's going to join me just bought a GoPro for a trip he's taking, so we'll have one!

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Or the one with tons of gold bars and black helicopters in Arizona's Superstition Mountains.... :censored:

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or the one with tons of gold bars and black helicopters in Arizona's Superstition Mountains.... :censored:
Are you saying I’m making this up? Maybe I’m getting a little thin-skinned. A family, a full-time job, an hour round-trip hike to get out there, plus the drive, and 2 feet of frozen snow covering it all. All that comes first. Busting something open with a sledge hammer – something that’s probably been there a hundred or more years, and leaving a dangerous open hole in the woods – that’s not gonna happen. :censored:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not making it up, but it certainly has been going on for a while. I watched the video where you cracked the top open. It seemed like a tease. That's what it felt like to me. I know I would have found some way to get a peek inside. Good luck to you! Be safe.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing yet?

hostagedk