Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
menotomymaps.... The one suggestion about raking down the entire mounds area does seem like a good one. But then I'd do one more step. After "cleaning" up mound take a video of it while walking around it. Maybe 10-15 ft. away from it and post it for us to review. Have you made a probe yet I suggested awhile back or still thinking about it? I know it won't start to thaw there for another 4 months but whenever the snow melts you could clean it up and post a video long before thawing time. But it will then really "stick out" I guess.... right? Throw the leaves back on maybe????? Get that MD guy or someone who has a good one and see what you get also. Wishin' ya the best.....

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
menotomymaps.... The one suggestion about raking down the entire mounds area does seem like a good one. But then I'd do one more step. After "cleaning" up mound take a video of it while walking around it. Maybe 10-15 ft. away from it and post it for us to review. Have you made a probe yet I suggested awhile back or still thinking about it? I know it won't start to thaw there for another 4 months but whenever the snow melts you could clean it up and post a video long before thawing time. But it will then really "stick out" I guess.... right? Throw the leaves back on maybe????? Get that MD guy or someone who has a good one and see what you get also. Wishin' ya the best.....

Thanks Limit. I haven't made the tool yet because I figured it'd be a while before I'd need it. But after posting this morning I decided to go out there and see how much snow is on the mound. For some reason there isn't ANY snow on it, and the ground is not frozen.
I grabbed a stick and did some poking (second photo).
I'm going to try to get out there tomorrow (Monday) and I'll bring a pry bar and take some video.
Also your point about throwing leaves back on is a good idea. I'm trying to not leave tracks on the snow by stepping on branches etc near the trail. Since the snow has fallen I do see human tracks on a trail which is pretty close to the mound.

Attachments

• mounda_1.JPG
    mounda_1.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 193
  • mounda_2.JPG
    mounda_2.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 215

Sam16

Greenie
Aug 15, 2013
Fargo, ND
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Menotomymaps, I quite appreciate the updates during this incredible find. I suggest looking at railway maps in your area from the estimated time period.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out there this morning without a lot of extra time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to try the cap area as I was getting ready to leave and I was able to get it loose!

Last edited:
OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to leave, but next time I go out there I'll bring a flashlight because I think I can move this lid enough to look down in.

I left with an odd feeling. The success was great, but:
- what if I break the lid, animal or kid could fall in.
- what if I fall in?

Odd mixed feelings now.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had to leave, but next time I go out there I'll bring a flashlight because I think I can move this lid enough to look down in.

I left with an odd feeling. The success was great, but:
- what if I break the lid, animal or kid could fall in.
- what if I fall in?

Odd mixed feelings now.

Just for safety's sake... take a rope and tie yourself off to nearest tree (short). Take new ball of string along also with weight tied on. You'll know depth then in case it's hollow and/or partially filled with water. Tie hand held flashlight off also to yourself or nearest tree. Maybe move cap NO MORE then it takes to get a flashlight in to visually see. You'll see better also without natural light shining in along with flashlight. Maybe hold your breath upon first look around...?????

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for safety's sake... take a rope and tie yourself off to nearest tree (short). Take new ball of string along also with weight tied on. You'll know depth then in case it's hollow and/or partially filled with water. Tie hand held flashlight off also to yourself or nearest tree. Maybe move cap NO MORE then it takes to get a flashlight in to visually see. You'll see better also without natural light shining in along with flashlight. Maybe hold your breath upon first look around...?????

Great ideas, thanks Limit.

Last edited:

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow awesome video, i can't wait to see what's under that lid. But yeah definitely take safety precautions, don't want to fall in. That mound looks like it's quiet large and if it is hollow underneath it could be quiet deep. I can't wait to see what happens next! Thanks for posting!

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
I would add: Take a friend along.

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tagging this story has got me wanting to explore

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have a chance to get out there for a few minutes today, I'll get a better look at the cap.

Any suggestions on how to avoid breaking it? I believe it is made of cement, and if it broke it would leave a dangerous situation for animals or people if someone found the mound.

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it easy and work slow work a lil at a time im soo waiting to see what this is lol

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do get it open far enough to peer in make sure to let it breathe for a while. There could be a buildup of methane or other toxic gas that could knock you out or worse immediately.

If you cannot recover the hole you may want to bring some planks to lay over it covered by some stones as a temp solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, thanks for the videos and allowing us all to come on the hunt with you, very cool!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've probably already left to explore your mound today but I'm betting it will not break by moving it. I'm TOTALLY guessing here... but if the cap is loose as you showed us in the video then someone had to put it in place. This means that they must have just poured some concrete on the ground nearby to harden and then moved the cap into place to seal the opening (if there is one)....? IF THIS IS RIGHT then I bet the cap won't break. Can't wait to see/hear what you found out.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most likely its an emplacement from the orchard that was filled over with concrete 100 years later in the 1950s to keep kids from playing in it. I hope you find something good though!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I'm getting the cart ahead of the horse here menotomymaps but.... if this mound is hollow and you can get the cap away to see within with flashlight and it appears safe for you to be on top maybe you could turn on a video camera and lower down within cavity to better see "something" if anything is there???? I know one step at a time.... But best of luck with cap and flashlight first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions