Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sledge hammer, hand maul, couple good chisels, 30 minutes later and I'd been in there weeks ago. What are you waiting for Christmas? LOL
lol

VonPalm

Greenie
Dec 4, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's something else, Hopefully not a grave.. I always have that thought in the back of my mind when i'm digging lol, pull up an old watch still attached to some sorry *******s wrist.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting this past weekend I was at a very old site and there was a humped up spot on the edge of the field. As I got up to it there was a stone and sure enough it was an 18th century tomb. The entrance was on the back side and was cut into the side of the bank off the edge of the field. Certainly looked much different than your case but you just never know. I'm glad this one was marked because I would have had a clue and would have been detecting a burial site. Bad karma right there my friend

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I most certainly don't have a clue. But the domed top on it does appear to be a fitted top. Can you tell if it's vented at all? It must not be a loose fitting top or you'd have lifted it off and looked. Is it just heavy or does it have fasteners or attached with cement? When I used to dig up privy pits in MI. I'd used a 3/8" steel rod with a tee handle and probed. Can the soil around it possibly be probed before digging maybe hitting a wall. You'd get an idea how much work was ahead digging and the size. Now the idea above of a chisel and hammer would work but I believe you'd hate to "bust in" maybe later? I just hope you don't find a "Jimmy Hoffa" in there. And if you excavate the thing and no entrance is found then your back to the chisel and hammer bust in mode. Anyway.... let's get a move on partner. Get digging, probing or chiseling because we ALL WANT TO KNOW ..... NOW (maybe even yesterday). Easy for me to say sitting here with a hot cup of coffee in my warm office. But I would help if I could and probably many others would also .... best of luck to you.... (don't wait till Christmas) ... Brad

ERobertson

Dec 9, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM V

GARRETT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.

Looking forward to your next posts.

Good luck !

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is interesting and can't wait to hear what it is. My uncle owns some land and it has an area that is raised about 10 feet and you can tell it's not natural. Ariel views show it might be a turtle mound but not sure. I've always wanted to run detector in that area maybe I'll do it this spring. If it is a mound then it would have been built by the Indians who inhabited this area. I doubt that their is any metal to be found if this is a turtle mound and don't know if I would want to dig it anyway due to it possibly being a burial mound.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I think more clues are needed at this point. Even if you can get your hands on a used bounty hunter ($50 bucks, maybe) and go around it you may find some metal artifacts of some sort that might take some of the guessing out of this. I don't think anyone is going to figure it out just by looking at it at this point.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's something else, Hopefully not a grave.. I always have that thought in the back of my mind when i'm digging lol, pull up an old watch still attached to some sorry *******s wrist.

I have the same thought but the scenario is a ring at the beach, I dig it up and it's not ...alone! Lol!

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting this past weekend I was at a very old site and there was a humped up spot on the edge of the field. As I got up to it there was a stone and sure enough it was an 18th century tomb. The entrance was on the back side and was cut into the side of the bank off the edge of the field. Certainly looked much different than your case but you just never know. I'm glad this one was marked because I would have had a clue and would have been detecting a burial site. Bad karma right there my friend

Very cool.
I've seen those around here on old family farms. They usually have a vertical door. I haven't found a door here, at least not yet.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t see any vents, but 90% of this thing is covered with roots, dirt, leaves and branches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can see how it's on top of a small ridge.
It looks like there's an indentation on the east side. Maybe that's where an entrance is.
I don't see it when I'm out there, but I see it on this contour map.

Last edited:

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Geez, you've got my full attention. Please keep us updated, and get in there lol !

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t see any vents, but 90% of this thing is covered with roots, dirt, leaves and branches.
The cap is sealed and must weigh way too much for a couple people to lift off and it looks to be cemented in place.

I could put a chisel and a 2.5 pound sledge in a backpack and leave them out there.

Probing around with a steel rod is the best idea yet!!

The sun goes down at 4:15pm this time of year, we have an inch of ice over everything and are getting heavy snow tonight. Does it sound like I’m making excuses?

There are Native People burials throughout these woods, as well as large grinding stones and rock arrangements with solstice alignments. This mound is post colonial (judging by the cement).
The rail, which looks like a support beam, can’t be more than maybe 175 years old if it is original to the structure.

Yea I think the rod idea might be a good way to start. As long as your soil is soft enough (I don't mean frozen or the frost line)... I mean soft enough. In MI. you could push a shovel into the soil and pull out a full shovel full so probing was easy. But here in TN. I'd bend the rod in two after the first 1/2" (there's no such thing as shoveling here). If the soil is soft... maybe make the probe 4-5 ft. because you'll be pushing it a lot it appears horizontally. Grind tip to point and spot weld a handle to other end. Shouldn't cost much at all (so I say). Maybe mark the rod at 6" increments with magic marker or paint with each foot its own color or just count and map.

Ok.... gotta go get more coffee and fix breakfast now. You take day off work and get to probing... WE ALL WANNA KNOW!!!!!!!!! That's all we want for Christmas... well some of us... maybe? Later, Brad

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you are making excuses I would be thinking about that site all day and wanting to get out the but the reality is it's not like we all live in a warm climate this time of year. We got another 6 inches of snow here overnight and from what I've read here it isn't easy to get to and you can't take a 4x4 to the site to haul gear you are going to need as well as warm up in and this thread is nothing like those other threads where someone starts one and we never hear anything again you have been keeping us updated. Hey you never know you might find a jar full of 2 dollar bills in there and only show us one of them lol ( some people might remember that thread form earlier this year). If it warms up and you can pack all the stuff ya need to to the site then you can let us all know what's in there. Keep us updated and here is to hoping you find something amazing in whatever that thing is.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread