OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUESTION: Is there a road or an old road leading to this spot that would allow a large truck to pour this mass of cement or mortar on top of this mound? Seems a little remote but if there was an orchard there in the past vehicles probably had access...??? Windmill idea / comment does make sense at moment. But that domed cement top is just weird.

You might be able to get a truck or wagon in there if you came around fromt the northwest.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a closeup of the 'cap'.
It looks like it is made of 2 kinds of cement.

View attachment 914282

Good Pic.... I realize you have a much better grasp of what this "thing" looks like overall but how about this. And if I remember right it's a good hike back there (right?). Got an ATV or a friend with one? Ok... how about if you dug a little under this "cap" and made yourself a lever. You said there's other rocks around. If not and you had an ATV take some cement blocks with you along with the lever. What would you use for lever I don't know but you could figure that part out. Longer is better. At least you could see if it's attached or loose. And if it does actually move and its covering something you'll be able to see then. Now this would require 2 people though... 1 lifting and the other blocking the "cap". Sure wish you had a good MD to run around area. Ok... just another simple idea except the trip back with the hardware. Later.... Brad

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
You might be able to get a truck or wagon in there if you came around fromt the northwest.
Been following this for awhile,from the photos it looks like old concrete with motor used to seal around the top.cement was invented by the Romans but the formula was lost.in the 18th century an Englishman in Portland England reinvented it thats why it is called portland cement ,so to make concrete you mix portland cement, sand an stone with water.In the old days portland cement was very expensive so this may give you some idea of the age of this structure.as far as what it was used for hear are couple of ideas. if an old cemetery is in the area could have been used to store the deceased during winter. If it was a cistern could have provided water at pressure to a building at a lower elevation.or it was just used to store fruit from orchard.Most cities and towns in taxachusetts have a historical society check with them would might be info on it . keep at this something for us in the frozen north to follow

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally agree with Rhode Hog.... "Keep at this (it's) something for us in the frozen north to follow". Though some of us are not in the "frozen north" at present time, still... KEEP AT THIS!!! I've lived in Tennessee the past 20 years now but I lived 38 years in Michigan before moving. I realize its hard to deal with this project at this time... but best of luck guy.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been following this for awhile,from the photos it looks like old concrete with motor used to seal around the top.cement was invented by the Romans but the formula was lost.in the 18th century an Englishman in Portland England reinvented it thats why it is called portland cement ,so to make concrete you mix portland cement, sand an stone with water.In the old days portland cement was very expensive so this may give you some idea of the age of this structure.as far as what it was used for hear are couple of ideas. if an old cemetery is in the area could have been used to store the deceased during winter. If it was a cistern could have provided water at pressure to a building at a lower elevation.or it was just used to store fruit from orchard.Most cities and towns in taxachusetts have a historical society check with them would might be info on it . keep at this something for us in the frozen north to follow

There may have been family cemeteries in the area, but the closest 'official' 'colonial' cemetery is about 3 miles away.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with Rhode Hog.... "Keep at this (it's) something for us in the frozen north to follow". Though some of us are not in the "frozen north" at present time, still... KEEP AT THIS!!! I've lived in Tennessee the past 20 years now but I lived 38 years in Michigan before moving. I realize its hard to deal with this project at this time... but best of luck guy.

I appreciate that.
I also don't want to be leaving tracks in the snow going off the trail.
Maybe I'll walk backwards like they used to do on Gunsmoke!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate that. I also don't want to be leaving tracks in the snow going off the trail. Maybe I'll walk backwards like they used to do on Gunsmoke!
lol it might work.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without having to read every response Im going to have to give my answer as to what I believe it is. I know around here if there is a cave or mine shaft people will cover it up to keep people from falling into it. Whatever means it takes to do so. I believe that is the answer to your question IMO. So if you intend on breaking the seal I would be careful cause the ground might give way when you do. Probably best just to leave it as is, rock

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm beginning to feel like a fish! Been about a month and nothing.

It's in a remote spot... the weather there is cold and bad now. And it may be hard to do all by himself also. It might be spring till we know for sure... and I'll understand. But as far as post #108 above he might have a point but until I KNEW what this thing is for sure I'd have to go forward carefully.

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
I appreciate that.
I also don't want to be leaving tracks in the snow going off the trail.
Maybe I'll walk backwards like they used to do on Gunsmoke!
Good idea about the foot prints,but i would wait and see how much snow melts this weekend.Even with my limited computed skills i think know where this site is, i am not planning to go there but others may

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snow and ice keep me from doing anything at this mound other than thinking about it 24x7.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will warm up one day till the I just read what the guys in warm climates are finding.

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snow and ice keep me from doing anything at this mound other than thinking about it 24x7.

Online this afternoon I watched a History Channel thing about Oak Island and "Sinclair’s treasure".

There’s a place known as Sinclair’s Rock about a half day’s walk from this mound.
Link: Westford Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure it's not related at all, but in the winter I could make a case for connecting the dots!

We all can't wait to see and hear what's in or around the mound. As I am also in snow and ice, remember patience, all good things are worth waiting for! We are all anxious to see what you discover just keep us posted when that warm day comes!!

forthillbillies

Greenie
Jun 27, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett GTAx 750, Garrett Pro Pointer
I just have to post so I see what it is in the spring! Great find!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those of us in Florida are waiting on your mound find as well...until then we are working on our tans...:hello:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see what it is!

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw dang, we have to wait to learn what it is...whatever it is, beit something mundane like a cistern, or something cool like a minecap or munitions bunker - please be careful!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread