A little different, but interesting and I found it today

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, i think it may be a cistern or an old well heaped up with refuse cement. Did you say it was on a slope or elevated in relation to the field it was in? If so, maybe that would have facilitated irrigation...maybe there was a large mechanical pump sucking water out and driving it out into the field? Wasn't it an old orchard? I don't remember now, too many posts to read...:P Were there any other structures that were poured anywhere in relation to this site? Sidewalks, foundations? Maybe consider the watershed in the area too...is it shallow, or is the ground over saturated? Maybe the well keep drowning the field?? I don't understand why anyone would heap up something like a well or cistern with that much cement anyway, but...unless it was simply refuse...there has to be a reason someone would haul a massive blob into the midst of a field or orchard or whatever. My inclinations are not leaning toward treasures though, but, you never know. I don't think anyone would leave an eyesore of a mound to mark 'hidden' treasure...unless they thought that only they themselves would be the ones to retrieve it. Maybe it's a plug for a crude geyser? I can't move any further on my chair...I'm about to hit the floor!!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In one of the photos is a piece of rail...if i am not mistaken. If an orchard, of apples or whatever, maybe there was a rail system for a loading bucket/car...but where would it have gone to or from?? Is there a reasonable route? What would have powered it? Maybe there was a smaller anchor/stop for the end of the rail, then in later years...they used the car to dump unused foundation material there. There has to be some thing else around there indicative or related to the material. Then again, assuming this is very old, not sure why they would waste that much building material.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone said windmill, that seems really plausible to me too, considering the context of the topographical map you provided. Some additional context, location or historical might be of great service too.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will warm up one day till the I just read what the guys in warm climates are finding.

Cool stuff! Many antique can opening devices....strange coins made from laminating different metals...very small thin gold and silver pieces ( maybe hammered jewelry)?
Sure sorry you guys are missing out, I will post pics if you want ...;)

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone said windmill, that seems really plausible to me too, considering the context of the topographical map you provided. Some additional context, location or historical might be of great service too.

I believe the OP already looked into windmills as a possibility, couldn't find any indication of such. Still a good idea considering location.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff! Many antique can opening devices....strange coins made from laminating different metals...very small thin gold and silver pieces ( maybe hammered jewelry)? Sure sorry you guys are missing out, I will post pics if you want ...;)
gee thanks lol pics always help.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In one of the photos is a piece of rail...if i am not mistaken. If an orchard, of apples or whatever, maybe there was a rail system for a loading bucket/car...but where would it have gone to or from?? Is there a reasonable route? What would have powered it? Maybe there was a smaller anchor/stop for the end of the rail, then in later years...they used the car to dump unused foundation material there. There has to be some thing else around there indicative or related to the material. Then again, assuming this is very old, not sure why they would waste that much building material.

Yes, there is a piece of rail which I think is used to support the top of this thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Windmill stands out to me, too.
It's on the highest point of what looks like an orchard in the 1930s.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anybody knows a cement expert, it would help date the thing and help identify it's purpose.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pictures of the lower section of cement, it looks as no forms were used, hand mixed with a couple variations of aggregate, along the line of 3/8-3/4 gravel. Doesn't take long for moss to grow on concrete especially in remote areas, but your moss looks pretty thick with a few layers of build up. The rail isn't modern, scrap piece someone picked up. New rails are wider and more of a wider rounded rectangle shape. If you chip of some concrete the aggregate will be consistent throughout with a modern truck pour, wide spread with a hand pour, if no aggregate present could just be a sand Portland slurry mix, more of a thin set consistency. Tough to say without being able to visual inspect. Looks intentional more so then emptying out the wheel barrow of waste from a project.

sweetrelease

Sep 26, 2013
new jersey
Detector(s) used
at pro and ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look at the site ,the trees in the area are very young?? was this site done in the last 10 years? look at the trees growing near and on the mound. they are newer trees. so at some point this site was dug or used at some point with in the last 10 or so years. just what I see.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will pop the cap and you will let out an evil spirit or a dangerous alien!
I've seen it before in the movies!
It's true, Ive seen it on you tube too.

Why don't you get a hard leaf rake and start at the top and rake it all off so we can really see the whole thing.
Also a GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) from a local college might answer all your questions without ever opening it.
Find a grad student who knows how to operate one and you could probably get it investigated for free.

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look at the site ,the trees in the area are very young?? was this site done in the last 10 years? look at the trees growing near and on the mound. they are newer trees. so at some point this site was dug or used at some point with in the last 10 or so years. just what I see.

I noticed that too, those woods look quite young. Junk trees like box elder (aka Manitoba maple) loves to shoot up like crazy just about anywhere - I'm constantly thinning my sugarbush to try and get rid of them! (And by *sugarbush*, I mean the bunch of maples I tap each year for maple syrup...just sayin)

Anthony

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you know the area better than I do but before you start working on it when the weather improves I'd do some research into mining activity in the area. I know that they mined all over the region and if this is a sealed up mine the last thing you want to do is cause it to cave in and fall to your death never to be seen again.

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i give up!Does any one sniff perhaps a bit of Blarney???

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pictures of the lower section of cement, it looks as no forms were used, hand mixed with a couple variations of aggregate, along the line of 3/8-3/4 gravel. Doesn't take long for moss to grow on concrete especially in remote areas, but your moss looks pretty thick with a few layers of build up. The rail isn't modern, scrap piece someone picked up. New rails are wider and more of a wider rounded rectangle shape. If you chip of some concrete the aggregate will be consistent throughout with a modern truck pour, wide spread with a hand pour, if no aggregate present could just be a sand Portland slurry mix, more of a thin set consistency. Tough to say without being able to visual inspect. Looks intentional more so then emptying out the wheel barrow of waste from a project.

There are a lot of tiny stones in the concrete.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trees aren't very large, but there also isn't a lot of soil for a tree to grow on.
I also posted an aerial photo from the 1930s which seems to show the mound.

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you know the area better than I do but before you start working on it when the weather improves I'd do some research into mining activity in the area. I know that they mined all over the region and if this is a sealed up mine the last thing you want to do is cause it to cave in and fall to your death never to be seen again.
I'm old and careful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread