What's new

A little gold, a little silver

KyDigNQueen

Sr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2016
Messages
353
Reaction score
884
Golden Thread
0
Location
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been tied up with work and chores lately. Wanted to go metal detect today but had things to do. Finished my to do list and still had about 2 hours of daylight left. I decided to hit an area of our yard that I haven't hunted before. I decided to grid it. I dug quite a bit of junk and decided that the row I was on would be my last once I made it back swinging to the 4 wheeler. Literally the last swing I made 3 feet from my 4 wheeler, I got a strong 69-70 signal about 8 inches deep. I figured it was probably more junk but dug it anyway because the signal was so clear. I dug and about 6 inches my pinpointer was right on top of it. I made a final scoop and saw the top of a coin staring at me. I was stoked as soon as I picked it up I just knew it was not an ordinary nickel. I raced to get KYWONDER to come look at it. He told me it was a War Nickel :) It's my first1943 S war nickel and my first silver coin! Well, the most silver I have found to date! To sweeten the deal, yesterday I went out to our old homestead site and literally found a ring just under the dirt. I didn't have my metal detector with me, just a surface find. The ring looked like a slight circle in the dirt. I thought it was some kind of washer and I reached down for it and saw it was a ring. It is gold inside. It's corroded on the outside but inside the ring it says 14k. Guess maybe it was plated? Anyway, it was nice to have some decent finds and something besides pennies! Thanks for looking and HH! (The ring on the left is my wedding band..for size comparison only) 20161003_180652.webp20161003_180839.webp20161003_204116.webp20161003_212417-1.webp2016-10-03 20.49.50.webp20161002_153428.webp
 

Attachments

  • 20161003_180700.webp
    20161003_180700.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Upvote 24
WOW what a find and a story. After reading your post I could feel your excitment because it's been only a couple months since I found my first war nickle. It seems were both in the same boat as to not finding a silver coin yet. I guess we keep knocking out our chores and swing our detectors until we do make the silver find. HH
 
Silver Coin - Tick.
 
Congratulations on the keepers! :occasion14:
 
WTG KYDQ! Those war nickels are fun to find...like other silvers, they pop out shiny, or at least not all corroded..great find! Now go get some more! Ddf
 
Good going on the war nickel....if your soil has lots of minerals in it the possible copper alloy in the ring could have picked up some verdigris.

I clicked on the picture of your gold ring and you can see where the heavy plating appears to be peeling off still a neat find.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Last edited:
War Nickel = 35% Silver, sweet
Put that bad boy into a coin folder.
The bucket list gets shorter. lol
Congratulations
 
WTG KYDQ! Those war nickels are fun to find...like other silvers, they pop out shiny, or at least not all corroded..great find! Now go get some more! Ddf
Thanks DDF. I knew something was different when I saw it was still shiny. It got me excited for sure!
 
War Nickel = 35% Silver, sweet
Put that bad boy into a coin folder.
The bucket list gets shorter. lol
Congratulations
Yes, silver! Thanks, ATW. It has eluded me for too long. Love how it cleaned up better than a regular nickel. I used a baking soda paste to get most of the crud off. I put that sucker in a coin folder right after my post. Haha. Glad to finally check something off the bucket list :)
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom