A little more Scott Valley gold

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice warm rain here in N.California. I geared up and hit my spot for 4 hrs today. I cleaned up the area well last time so jumped up river another ten ft or so and rolled afew boulders from another good looking little shelf. Ooo, a little picker just peaking out,if i only had a camera (i use my wifes cellphone cam for the pics i post). Click on the GB Pro and no signal on the little nug not even if i nearly touch it. Pick it up and it hits in the air loud upto about a half an inch. I'm not surprised though its what i expected. I have seen this a few times lately while detecting areas like this banded with very heavy clays and hot bedrock. I even tried a setting a friend uses and it wouldnt get it. I detected around a little more without any hits and then proceeded to cleanup were i saw the picker.
The two pickers on the left of the dime are the above mentioned. They are very small, together weigh .3 g, while all the gold totaled 1.7 dwt. I'am not at all disappointed with the GB Pro because this can happen to any detector and the golds pretty small any way. It just shows why we all need to keep a keen eye out and also experiment with our machines constantly, along with cleaning up around were we find our nuggets.
I'm hoping that when my SDC arrives it will handle the mineralization better when detecting such small pieces of gold.
Happy Hunting!
AjR

Attachments

• 3goldhome2015.jpg
    3goldhome2015.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should have got those easy with the gb pro, especially with nel sharpshooter. My female partner gets pieces smaller then that alot. Are you sure you turned on the detector. Lol

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice course chunks! Would make my V/SAT scream!

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May have forgot that part, do these things take batteries. HA HA.
I have also hit pieces this small before but not here. I think its because the bedrock rides at 87, while three different types of clay runners along with mineral stringers run in different directions and range in gb from 68 on one type of clay to 74 on another and minerals in 80's. Not sure but couldnt hear it. I tried in all metal and also in disc as we discussed but it didnt hit any repeatable signal, just popped and buzzed from minerals but no vdi - definitely would have kept on going if i hadn't seen the piece. By the way isnt your female friend a figment of your imagination? LOL
AjR

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i threw a peice of lead in a crack today to test my detector and was surprised when i could not get a repeatable signal unless i shoved the nose into the crack. it had to be nearly touching the lead before it would respond. they should make a sniping wand for detectors, a thin long coil that would sound off even with no movement. excellent haul of gold by the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Idea. I have also done the same thing. A while back i detected a crevasse and had no signals, the machine was humming along and i detected away without anything for a few hours. I kept thinking of that crevasse and how i should have busted it open. I usually destroy crevasses that give me the right indications and this one had but i hadnt done so. I hiked bake and busted it open and wha la a little 1 gramer. Hmm, i knew my machine would hit it for it had in other locations. Upon testing, it did when it was on the surface of the serpentine but not if i put a 2" serpentine rock on it. I'm curious to see how the SDC deals with these situations. If the bedrock is schistos im sure it would detect it easy, i'm wondering more in the extreme serpentines, green stones and magnetites.
possibly CalGold or another old pro has an idea.
AjR

Also some of the gold from last year i'm getn red of to payoff the SDC.

Attachments

• Profilegold2015.jpg
    Profilegold2015.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 89

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its probably beingmasked by the overwhelming hot bedrock. I can ask my imaginary female partner. I still think u forgot the battery in your detector. Lol I know my goldbug didnt like serpentine either. Good thing you got good eyes. Hey i might have to take you huntin. You can spot all the game we shoot. Lol

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, batteries were in backwards? Dammit man! LOL
Definitely masked by the serp. i have conducted many tests with it since nearly all of my detecting is in hot serpentine environs. That and being waterproof is why i got the SDC. My eyes were ment for seeing gold, insects and tinny fish. i wear glasses to see far but have better than average sight upclose - whod a thought.
Your imaginary partner sounds pretty damn good on her GB Pro - she may be able to hear through the serpentine. Oooo! Triky. LOL
AjR

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CalGolds' partner is ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING except imaginary as one heck of a woman gifted in innumerable ways. She'll out detect, out shoot, outwork and out cook just about anyone ---her sex don't matter as she's a doer and not much talkn', just performance and tenacity--sooo cool a lady. RESPECT to a great couple-John

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We were just joking around uncle hoser. I like to make fun of my partner as she does to me aswell. Now you cant make fun of my imaginary friends. They are kinda sensitive. Anyway i gotta go, going gold huntin today. Same place , same imaginary friends. Cant let ajr get ahead of us. That son of a scott valley. Lol hope he puts batteries in gb pro today

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No eye poken kiddys -
All i have is RESOECT for Calgold and his partner Hoser, sorry if i came off as disrespectful - I only hope to be as good as a detector as the both of them someday. We share a mutual friend so ask him about me John.
Happy Hunting!
AjR

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great descriptive posts AjR... equally great sense of humor... yep its the serpentine. From the accounts I've read, the SDC should work just fine in hot conditions. It'll be interesting to see your comments about it later on. Thanks for sharing your outing... another informative thread / read... and continued good luck. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your gold up there is nice and chunky. If it wasn't such a long drive I might be tempted to head up that way some weekend.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know FF as I like to josh a bit too. Just wait till ya meet her as 1 amazing lady and CG have been GREAT friends for years. You just don't want to meet her in any contest enviroment as hunting,fishing,detecting or cooking as she'll whip almost all men and some a us don't like being beaten by a woman...not me though as nuttn' but respect to'm both-John

OP
OP
Featherdfishead

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not that much on competition myself, miner dad and a hippy mom raised me free of sexual insecurities I guess. My partner at work is a chick and shes a tough one, she can out do many men we encounter in the field and she's won afew of the last Turkey shoots up here and pissed off some of the hardcore rednecks. LOL. She's actually supposed to be in the NRA mag sometime soon. Much respect! And thanks for the advice through the grapevine its much appreciated.
AjR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread