What's new

A little silver, bit of copper, cool brooch, and 62nd Regt. on the Copper Trail

Iron Patch

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
19,276
Reaction score
8,953
Golden Thread
3
Location
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great day to be out digging! I knew this was going to be a tough one for me figuring I used up all my luck last time out on the 71st button, and it was sure looking like that was going to be the case. I did pop a few coins early, and the places we were weren't great, so I figured .... hey, my coil is still hot, let's get the heck out of here and to the old stuff! Of course once we get to the first old site for the day things change and I only find junk, but not like it mattered anyway because IH had the interesting coin and marked button out in about 5 minutes! On the way home I told him from now on I plan to sprint from the car to the site to have a chance. :)

From there it was just a 9 iron shot to a field we had done in the past with some good success. I immediately headed for the small site at the bottom of the field which was a Rev War pewter button bonanza about a dozen years ago -- it's a pretty quiet little spot now, but I seem to always find a military button.... except for today! :unhappysmiley: Damn you 71st button! (Just kidding, I still love you) :laughing7: Anyway, so after about 30 minutes and one tombac button to show for my effort, I figure I better boogie back up to the center of the field and actually dig some targets. So I get there and looks like ironhorse made the tracks and dug the holes of 10 men. :laughing7: Like the previous site he already had a couple keepers and for the next 20 minutes all I did was dig little pieces of scrap copper or brass. By this time I was starting to get pretty frustrated and feeling the pressure because i didn't feel like I had enough to post, and then finally I dig a target and seen what I wanted, an early military button! :headbang: Unfortunately it had a hard clump of rust on the face so I had to work on it, and this is the best she is going to be, but that's cool and I am relatively confident it's 62nd Reg..... and all I wanted was to know what regiment. Anyway, that's my tale from today.


I'm really diggin' the brooch/pin thing!
 

Attachments

  • s1.webp
    s1.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 129
  • b3.webp
    b3.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 139
  • b4.webp
    b4.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 62nd.webp
    62nd.webp
    261.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 20
Nice way to save the day.
I would take that button over the seated half I dug today any day..
 
Last edited:
Nice ones IP i guess your wrap up wasn't really a wrap up yet..
Did that make sense hey pass me that..

~Blaze~
 

Attachments

  • smokin_kirk4.webp
    smokin_kirk4.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 247
A few pictures I took today. I am only able to do it when the finds are not old.... once I'm in a good area forget about it. :) We were on a pretty interesting trail through the woods, and someone made one heck of an effort to create this. At one point we were walking and I said to IH, jeeze this green path looks almost like carpet.... and he points down to one spot that still shows the original grey color and says it is! (no pic of the carpet path) Someone actually laid a path of carpet through the woods. Plus there's various stuffed animals, cans and bottles, and even a pair of rubber boots in trees as you walk through. It's quite a spot! Sadly as neat a place as it is, we did not find the early sites we were looking for.


PS: We just happened to see the cellar hole while driving out the dirt road. We only stopped for 20 minutes, but was worth it because it's where I found the neat brooch.
 

Attachments

  • z101.webp
    z101.webp
    612.4 KB · Views: 131
  • z102.webp
    z102.webp
    438.4 KB · Views: 141
  • z100.webp
    z100.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • z104.webp
    z104.webp
    514.1 KB · Views: 147
  • z105.webp
    z105.webp
    575.2 KB · Views: 124
I thought that first site would've panned out for you.. Did you try higher up on my ancestors field like you mentioned? Maybe its staying quiet until i hunt it in the Spring....
Great for you getting an early button and not so much for me... I may owe you that dollar yet...time will tell
 
Great hunt, that brooch is really nice condition, Congrats
 
I thought that first site would've panned out for you.. Did you try higher up on my ancestors field like you mentioned? Maybe its staying quiet until i hunt it in the Spring....
Great for you getting an early button and not so much for me... I may owe you that dollar yet...time will tell


It's where I got the button. Still targets to find there, quite a few actually.
 
Nice to see you got a solid number off the button , a nice one to add to your collection!

Sorry to say the penny token wasn't what I thought it might be. It was just an 1812 one ; however, a few surprises in my pouch! Stay tuned!
 
Nice one, (or two).
Great season weather wise for sure.
I like Elmo in the tree pic. a lot.
 
I love that brooch...it's always a good hunt when you dig something different...At least you got a regiment number on that button..I'd be happy with that too..Congrats
 
Man you dig early military buttons like merc dimes. I'm always amazed at the volume of buttons you guys dig. Very nice and too bad about the rust spot. We can only dig what's under us brother. Keep swinging that hot coil brother. Don't think you're done yet
 
Man you dig early military buttons like merc dimes. I'm always amazed at the volume of buttons you guys dig. Very nice and too bad about the rust spot. We can only dig what's under us brother. Keep swinging that hot coil brother. Don't think you're done yet


Yeah it's too bad about the rust, but as struggling as much as I was at the time I sude was glad to see it.


Here's a picture of what it looked like out of the ground.
 

Attachments

  • 20151210_151936.webp
    20151210_151936.webp
    214.1 KB · Views: 131
I see where you're continuing to take advantage of this crazy weather to get out, and you're definitely making the most of your opportunities. Nice assortment of stuff from the copper trail as usual, and that button is killer. Congrats!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom