A LOOK AT JAMES BEVERLY WARD, AGENT OF THE BEALE PAPERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i havent got through the others yet, handwriting
in those files are hard to read

I have read handwriting like those for over thirty years done got use to them. I read Colonel Tarleton's book one time and it was in old English but I was so interested I read it and schemed it at over eight thousand words a minute. Really fun when you get the hang of it. John F. Kennedy could read over one thousand words a minute, I may get up to ten or twelve.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plantation of Anzoletta Saunders was 300 acres on Elk Creek. She had to sell the property in 1872 for debts owed. Seems like a lot of debt collecting in 1872 that is when James Beverly Ward sold his land for debts owed also.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
1872 was during the time of RECONSTRUCTION, when the Federal government imposed military rule upon the conquered South.
Political Carpetbaggers and Scalawags moved in and took full advantage of this situation for their own benefit.
Prior to the War of Northern Aggression and afterward, a states revenue was dependent on property taxes, and in most cases in the South, the amount was determined by the land owner, not the state.
During Reconstruction, claiming that the Southern infrastructure destroyed by the War needed rebuilding, the Federal run state governments increased taxes by 10%, which most of the large and medium landowners could not afford to pay, and their was seized as a market based system of land redistribution for the landless freedmen, but in many instances, was bought for under market value by the carpetbaggers and scalawags.
This may be why Saunders and Ward had to sell their land holdings in 1872.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read handwriting like those for over thirty years done got use to them. I read Colonel Tarleton's book one time and it was in old English but I was so interested I read it and schemed it at over eight thousand words a minute. Really fun when you get the hang of it. John F. Kennedy could read over one thousand words a minute, I may get up to ten or twelve.

Old English I have seen posted here somewhere. Just can not remember who it was that had old English in their decipherments?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
1872 was during the time of RECONSTRUCTION, when the Federal government imposed military rule upon the conquered South.
Political Carpetbaggers and Scalawags moved in and took full advantage of this situation for their own benefit.
Prior to the War of Northern Aggression and afterward, a states revenue was dependent on property taxes, and in most cases in the South, the amount was determined by the land owner, not the state.
During Reconstruction, claiming that the Southern infrastructure destroyed by the War needed rebuilding, the Federal run state governments increased taxes by 10%, which most of the large and medium landowners could not afford to pay, and their was seized as a market based system of land redistribution for the landless freedmen, but in many instances, was bought for under market value by the carpetbaggers and scalawags.
This may be why Saunders and Ward had to sell their land holdings in 1872.
What was James Beverly Ward's financial condition after Reconstruction ended in 1877?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the Court Case cw0909 posted they owed over $8 thousand dollars. The three tracts of land, the slaves, the furniture and farm tools did not amount to less than $3 thousand dollars. All was sold in 1872.
Also the two saw mills.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"I have been reduced from comparative affluence to absolute penury"- The Beale Papers
Would this quote describe the financial condition of James Beverly Ward was in after the 1872 sale of property during Reconstruction and at the time he applied for copyright of the Beale Papers on a borrowed ADAMS BROS & PAYNE letterhead, then having his cousin, John William Sherman, who worked at the VIRGINIA PRINT SHOP and LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper, print the manuscript for publication and sale, which was advertised for sale in that newspaper?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
During the Court Case cw0909 posted they owed over $8 thousand dollars. The three tracts of land, the slaves, the furniture and farm tools did not amount to less than $3 thousand dollars. All was sold in 1872.
Also the two saw mills.
If Ward's financial situation continued to deteriorate into the 1880's, it may have served as the motivation for the creation and publication for sale of the Beale Papers.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have, JBW was living with his daughter when he passed away ------- Mrs. McVeigh

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If you ran a boarding house and a few gentlemen stayed with you for a few days would you remember them after fifty or sixty years? I don't think so. If it was something out of the ordinary, yes...
"His character soon became universally known"- The Beale Papers
Enough to provide the "unknown author" a detailed description of Thomas J Beale while telling the story at his niece's, Anzoletta Saunders, home. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"He was a model of manly beauty favored by the ladies and envied by men..." The Beale Papers
Ward's grandfather, James Beverly Risqué, was wounded in a duel with Thomas Beale over Risque's niece, Julia Hancock, at the when Beale had a son with Chloe Delancy of Botetourt county.
Is this a sly reference to the real Thomas Beale being a womanizer?
Remember, in the job print pamphlet, the name is Thomas J Beale with the added "J", and Julia married William Clark who was a co-captain of a perilous adventure of discovery in the West.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"we determined to raise a party of not less than thirty individuals... (and) a guide and two or three servants"
"we were advised...to form a regular military organization, with a captain...the election was held, and resulted in choosing me as their leader" - Quotes from The Beale Papers

Lewis & Clark Corp of Discovery Permanent Party were composed of 31 individuals in addition to Lewis and Clark, and was conducted as a military organization.
William Clark held the rank as 2nd Lieutenant , but was "elected" by Captain Merriweather Lewis to co- Captain rank to equal command authority during their perilous adventure.
William Clark's wife, Julia Hancock relation to Risqué and James Beverly Ward has been noted.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It could have, JBW was living with his daughter when he passed away ------- Mrs. McVeigh
Was that the house at 105 Harrison Street address in Garland Hill that was built in 1887?

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"we determined to raise a party of not less than thirty individuals... (and) a guide and two or three servants"
"we were advised...to form a regular military organization, with a captain...the election was held, and resulted in choosing me as their leader" - Quotes from The Beale Papers

Lewis & Clark Corp of Discovery Permanent Party were composed of 31 individuals in addition to Lewis and Clark, and was conducted as a military organization.
William Clark held the rank as 2nd Lieutenant , but was "elected" by Captain Merriweather Lewis to co- Captain rank to equal command authority during their perilous adventure.
William Clark's wife, Julia Hancock relation to Risqué and James Beverly Ward has been noted.
I read somewhere that Thomas Jefferson sent one of his slaves (Beverly, TJ's son with Sally Hemings; Lt. skin "black" & passed as WHITE) as a SERVANT on that L & C Expedition; 1822, Beverly left TJ's Monticello Plantation, & later fought in the CONFEDERATE WAR in an "ALL White YANK UNIT! Beverly was listed as "TOM" in TJ's Farm Book.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
UP-DATE on Poplar Forest, TJ's "RETREAT" near Lynchburg, Va.; foundation of a "MYSTERY HOUSE" being excavated near "Slaves Quarters". "Arkies" are intrigued; do you reckon...? Nah...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! I just noticed... BEVERLY Hemings, James BEVERLY Ward... LOL! And the HUTTERS once owned Poplar Forest... JEEPERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread