What's new

A Mystery in Leather

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this for a friend who would like to find out exactly what he has. It's been in his family for a few generations so it does have some age to it. It is marked but not all of the words are clear. What can be read is as follows:

PEAT
??ADD?ER
OLD BOND STREET
LONDON

Anyone have any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • mystery 001.webp
    mystery 001.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 455
  • mystery 003.webp
    mystery 003.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 426
  • mystery 004.webp
    mystery 004.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 443
My first thought is arrow quiver.
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
My first thought is arrow quiver.

That would be cool but I think that it is too shallow for that. I'm thinking horse related but not sure...
 
Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
I'm thinking horse related but not sure...

Agreed. The incomplete word is very likely Saddler. I found a number of references to an "H. Peat, Saddler" and
"Peat's, Old Bond Street, London (Saddler to Her Majesty's Cavalry)."
 
Upvote 0
It looks like it was to protect something fragile that stayed in contact with you, maybe a hot water bottle or flask?
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
romeo-1 said:
I'm thinking horse related but not sure...

Agreed. The incomplete word is very likely Saddler. I found a number of references to an "H. Peat, Saddler."

That's what I thought as well but did not want to taint the jury. Now to just figure out what it was used for...
 
Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
PBK said:
romeo-1 said:
I'm thinking horse related but not sure...

Agreed. The incomplete word is very likely Saddler. I found a number of references to an "H. Peat, Saddler."

That's what I thought as well but did not want to taint the jury. Now to just figure out what it was used for...

A form of saddle bag used for gloves and the like (bottles of booze).
 
Upvote 0
If it had been French I would have guessed bread bag :D Would the bag have had a cover?
 
Upvote 0
I started Googling in earnest and came across "pommel wallets". There would be two of them connected by leather cording and would hang over the pommel. My impression is that this item once had a cover...Similar to these...
 

Attachments

  • wallets.webp
    wallets.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 413
Upvote 0
I'm guessing its a pouch that carries a Hoof Pick and a few other tools on a carriage or wagon.
TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
Just a Thought...Mount to place a flag staff or other ceremonial shafted item? hh blue
 
Upvote 0
Romeo, that is a very nice piece. I'm guessing that the painting was done after the original manufacturing.
 
Upvote 0
Cobalt*Blue said:
Just a Thought...Mount to place a flag staff or other ceremonial shafted item? hh blue

You may be correct, we used something like that during trail rides and parades to carry the flag.
 
Upvote 0
That is a pommel bag. That particular model was made by H. Peat of London, very popular in the late 1800's to early 1900's.

The Confederacy often used them as they came with british saddles ordered from overseas. The pommel bags were usually used to hold food, shooting equipment, or even their guns. This was later refined with the creation of the pommel holster.

Here are a couple of photos of two different types. You will notice the difference in shape between the two. The one with the conical shape was designed more as a holster than a bag.
 

Attachments

  • saddle.webp
    saddle.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 224
  • saddle2.webp
    saddle2.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom