A new member of "I found a seated before a Barber", club...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have been looking high and low for a Barber in earnest for nigh on two years now, from the day I got my F70 and depth was no longer an issue.
Living in Kansas I spent time looking in areas where they might be found from time to time, but so far no Barber showed up at all.
I moved to another state and since mid July I have been living in an older part of town in the south, Birmingham Ala, and usually hunt a park dedicated in the mid 20's 95% of the time because it is so close to me...1/2 block away.
There is good and bad about hunting the same park all the time.

It is huge, over 100 acres, but still even though I wander all over the place it can get boring at times and it is challenging because it is so loaded with iron, infused with iron in the soil, slag mixed in with most soil used to develop all the commercial, residential and public areas as the city built up from large iron and steel foundries plus bits of pieces large and small from earlier and old neighborhoods knocked down in these areas.
Plus it was built on an old landfill...you would not believe the amount of junk down there in certain areas and how shallow it is.
We also have heavy mineralization but that is not the worse problem I have to deal with around here, all that iron and about 100 years of common park trash is.
It is my private laboratory and I have vowed to use it to sharpen my skills used in hunting iron and have made great strides.
Now I am starting to dig the way more iffy signals I passed by before, the ones that seem like iron all the way but maybe just a hint of a good tone or fleeting stable numbers or something else that triggers my digging instinct.
This heavily masked target was almost a classic iron target but I was in 4H on the F70 and sniper coil and there was something in that high tone I kept hearing, fleeting as it was.
So glad I did...more digging of these mostly iron iffy targets in my future coming up for me I guess.
Before I dug this thing I also dug the back of an old pocket watch and a decent sized sterling Saint Christopher pendant, both would have made this a great hunt by themselves but the star of this hunt was my first freakin' seated dime and the fact that I am starting to not only figure out and dig the really difficult good targets that most missed for decades fairly easily now but also making progress in the area of recognizing the most heavily masked targets of all.
Not an inkling of hint of a clue this park held treasure like this 140 year old dime, I am looking at this old park with new eyes now.
Bodes well for me in the future...I hope.

Attachments

• user10659_pic69217_1450307769_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic69217_1450307769_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 371
  • user10659_pic69216_1450307769_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg
    user10659_pic69216_1450307769_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 20

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! I'd welcome you to the Seated Club, but I'm not in it!!! I hope you find many more!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post digger27, I love details..
Sounds like "Most" Atlanta Parks.. (i'd swear they scrape the Expressways & use it as fill in the City's Parks.).
Barbers are Rare as Heck Here in the Dirty South.
Nice Seated For Sure.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the club. Rosies and mercs are always fun to dig but there's something special about Barber and seated coins. Like all your hard work has finally paid off. To me finding a Barber is just as special as a seated and not really many more Barbers posted over seated. Good job

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From everyone in the seated club (I am not a member) I wish you welcome and congrats on that little beauty!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seems like a great (Yet tedious) are to hone in ones skills, patience and dedication. I bet you will find a TON more there - just gotta dig all the iffy's and see if they pay off like they have already =)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling your 1st seated. :occasion14: I started MDing in May 2014 and in June 2014 I dug my 1st silver. It was an 1875 seated dime. Welcome to the seated club, now knuckle down and get that elusive Barber.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
That seems like a great (Yet tedious) are to hone in ones skills, patience and dedication. I bet you will find a TON more there - just gotta dig all the iffy's and see if they pay off like they have already =)

Let me tell you about this park.
Built on a landfill, loaded with extra helpings of iron targets and infused with a crazy amount of tiny iron modules in the soil.
On top of that close to 100 years of trash built up from shallow to deep.
It is like there have been trashcans in this park all along but nobody ever figured out how to use them.
It is like a curtain exists at 5" that either stops or scrambles all signals from everything except PI units, I assume.
Despite this the park has been open to hunt forever and according to the guys in the local club it has been.
All the easy to find and shallow silver and older coins were scooped up long ago, all that is left is the really masked and hidden stuff and most if that is at the 6" or deeper levels, an area where most never dig to because signals from that deep rarely make sense.
I figure if you need to learn new things the most difficult sites to do it might be frustrating and confusing at first but you will learn faster and better overall.
With practice I learned to make sense of those deeper signals, somewhat, and in the last few months have pulled out some surprising coin targets that were all overlooked.
A few IH's, a buff and an 1800's V nickel, several old wheaties going back to 1910, a few silver dimes both rosey's and merc's, and let's not forget a 1922 Peace Dollar which shocked me.
As much as that dollar stunned me this seated dime might have shocked me even more.
Not an inkling of a hint of a clue something like this would even be around here let alone shallow enough for me to find it.
Love this hobby and all the surprises it holds for us all.

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find! It really is odd how the order of our finds come about. I found a very early 1700's colonial coin before I found an 1800's coin. I found a 3 cent nickel, a shield nickel, V nickels and buffs before I ever found my first silver nickel. I have unfortunately not found any seated coins yet ( but got Barber quarter and dime on same hunt ), so I guess a seated will be number 1 on my wanted list now. Having a " most wanted " find keeps us looking, doesn't it?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel. When I started detecting, I found Seated's, Morgan's, & many Barber Dimes. Do you think I could find a Barber Quarter ? It was years before I finally dug one. That was just my elusive coin. Hope yours comes a little sooner. Congrats on the Seated.

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to be persistent... I used to live at 5 Points South for almost 2 years, 1986 & 87, I could look up and see the Vulcan from where I lived. At the time I was into metal detecting but I was so busy just trying to survive financially I never put a coil to the soil. I was having some health issues also. I regret that I wasn't able to detect while there. I am glad to see you are taking advantage of it. I have found some Barber dimes here in Columbus, Miss. but the only seated I have found was while bottle digging. Keep hitting that park.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find.
The Barbers are more plentiful than seated coins. With your persistence, , it's just a matter of time before a Barber shows up.
Congrats again on a great find.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I've found three Barber dimes, but never found a seated. What's really weird is that I've found three Barber quarters, but still haven't found a silver Washington! I guess you never know the order you're going to find coins in or what's hiding in a certain spot.

Keep hunting that area. There's got to be a few Barbers in there!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice seated digger27! I have also found seated before Barber. In fact I have never found a Barber in 35 years [emoji20]

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw the title and thought "this happened to me". I had also found Barber quarters and 2 SQLs before I found a silver Washington. Took me over a year to find a silver Washington quarter.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Here something new...
On this same hunt I also found a black back piece to an old pocket watch...I thought.
Covered in a thick, tar like solid layer but that is normal because I found it in the mud and muck next to a small creek.
Probably been submerged in that wet gunk for 60 years or more.
I threw it in my tumbler to see if I could get some numbers to emerge and track the age but no numbers or any other mark appeared.
A little bit thin to be a watch part, I think, it might be a lid off an old compact instead.
Whatever it is it ain't steel, it isn't copper and it's not just dirty junk metal.
Its yellow metal and I cut through it, its not plated either because that yellow color goes all the way through.
I think maybe gold, man I gotta get a test kit for Christmas.

If it is gold this turned out to be a better hunt than I believed at first.
I will update when I test the thing.

Attachments

• user10659_pic69235_1450473781.jpg
    user10659_pic69235_1450473781.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread