A new site and some nice finds OHAPPYDAY!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
With high winds and rain ,the boss sent me home early today.After the 70 mile drive home I was anxious to get out and do some swingin.I grabbed my Whites and headed out for where I did not know.Ended up in the innards of Flint behind an old school with a monument date of 1929.The school was fenced off but behind it was an area I guess you would call a park??The road going in was barricaded off to vehicles.There were a few houses along the road in but they were boarded up or burned down.Real creepy area...trash everywhere and an unpleasant odor in the air.Anyway,I made my way into this "park" area and started swingin.My first dig was a memorial penny but my next was a 1919wheat...cool! I had to notch my disc up a little as the trash was mind boggling,but I knew there were goodies mixed in.Memorials were popping up like dandylions everywhere I went with better targets every so often.Spent about 3 hours looking here and there just getting a feel for the area.Ended up with a couple neat relics,3 silvers and four wheats(1912, 17, 19, 25) Oh yeah , and that big chunk-o-gold!! Mans 14k lawnmower droppings...I dont know what made me dig it.It hit just above a nickle on my IDX.Id passed up a thousand of the same signal today??...Intuition?? Anyway, Im very happy.This is one of the best days Ive had in awhile.This park obviously has not been hunted and I havent even scratched the surface, not to mention the accessable areas,including a sports field at the 1929 school.Definitely looking forward to spending some more time at this site.Thanks for looking and H.H.....Joe

Oh yeah, The button...I dont know anything about old buttons.Does the one in the pic look like anything??(no script on it)....thanks

Attachments

• PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 714
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 713
  • PICT0006_0001.JPG
    PICT0006_0001.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 704
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Deerhunter24 said:
Wow. Great finds. How deep was that silver? Must have gotten decent discrimination if you pulled that Barber out. Again...great finds.

DH....Where I was hunting there was about three inches of soft black soil and under that was hard sandy clay.Everything was pretty much sitting on that hard pan.One of those sites where you cut your plug, pull it up, and the coin falls off the bottom.My IDX reads silver dimes on a bounce between dime and quarter.They stand out pretty well even in the junk.On the down side youll notice I dont have any nickles in the pile.I cant get a consistant recognisible signal.So if Im not diggin everything Im not diggin Nickles.Thing was , I was often getting 4,5,6 tones to a swing without disc...enough to drive a guy nuts!....Thanks to everyone for thier supportive comments and good huntin to all....Joe

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Jopher.....Plenty of great finds including the motor oil token....We have something in common when it comes to that.....I happen to find 2 of them on my property here in NY .... Great job!

CAPTAINKIDD

Greenie
May 6, 2006
Great finds! What a heady feeling to stumble upon an untouched place! I was gonna say I hope you find your pot of gold, but you're already ahead of the game.

S

southbound

The silver and gold is awsome!!!! Congrats on the coins too!!!!
Vern

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread