What's new

A New Source For Coins

tnfishdaddy

Full Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
219
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upper East Tennessee
I am a high school teacher. We were talking in class today and I asked anybody if they had any pennies. Of course the girls get their purses out and I offer to trade their coppers for newer pennies. Half just said here take them. All we ever do is throw them away. The other kids said we have a bunch in the car, can we go get them? I offered to buy everybody's but at least half said here, we don't want them. I did this all morning and people were tickled to get rid of them. T ;Dhey kept telling me how they hate pennies. Kids seem to toss a lot of them away. One even suggested that I put up a container in the cafeteria for penny donations. Seemed to work. I think what I am going to do is keep this up and buy all the copper out of it and around Christmas, make a donation somewhere with what I raise. Is this bad of me?
 
Upvote 0
That's not bad, but I think I would clear it with administration before you do it. Also, select a school related club or function to donate the money to. I wish I was in a position to do that. Sounds like a lot of potential for wheaties.
 
I have a club but the more I think about it, the more I think I am going to pick out a charity and give it to them.
 
my wife school had a penny war fund raiser -- each class put in pennies in its container -- a coin other than a penny counted "against" your pennies so other classes say put a nickle in your classes coin holder --it killed off 5 of your pennies -- they raised over $1100 bucks in pennies --- 110,000 cents !!! ) my wife told me that they deposited it with a local bank ---well I went thru my first $25 worth --- 5 wheaties -- 45, 50, 52, 53, 55 get it oked by the boss and have at it so long as you swap out the cents on a coin per coin basis --no that doesn't make you bad -- it makes you smart --and since you'll be helping folks with the pennies nice too -- Ivan
 
I think you should start a program giving extra credit for silver. Just bring something in from your grandpa's coin collection and teacher will make everything easy for you!

Brian
 
I think it's a great idea. It's really a win-win situation for everyone involved.

I really liked Ivan's story about how his wife's school did it. That would be a real money maker. I'm going to suggest we do something like that at work between work groups! We could really brighten up someone's holiday with a large donation to a local charity.

That's why I love this forum. You've heard the old saying, 'Two heads are better than one'. Well, in our case, 'Hundreds of heads are MUCH BETTER than one!'

Thanks for sharing the great ideas, guys!
 
Taking money from students. Ahahaha! That's great---and I love the charity idea.
 
no "taking" is involved -- the kids give freely to charity--- its not mandatory -- they give only if they feel like it -- I go to the bank that the cents are deposited into and get $25 bucks at a time and run thru them --looking for wheaties---(I swap out zincs for the wheaties)----( by the way there cents not pennies -- the british use penny --and for more than one they say pence -- we americans use cents -- but oddly only we americans use the term "pennies" -- must be some wierd hold over from America being a former british colonial territory I guess) its a nice easy way to raise money to help others -- but some folks are just tight fisted money grunbbing misers that plan to take it with them by having a solid gold coffin when they pass away I guess, they see "giving" to others as a "humbug" bah -- Ivan
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom