What's new

A New Spot to Hunt

oldmxrat

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2020
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
47,436
Golden Thread
1
Location
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing some research trying to find a new place to detect. This place was quite a drive to get to, but if it hadn't panned out I know of a nearby spot to look for arrowheads. Didn't need to look for arrowheads this time!
This place started out as a traveler's station in the 1850's and later became a village and was occupied through the 1950's, so I really didn't know what to expect.
Needless to say, there's a lot of trash, a hundred years worth!
It was tough hunting, but I managed a few keepers, like:
a 1878 IHC,
1928-s buffalo nickel,
fancy round button,
other clothing fasteners,
cartridge cases,
harmonica reed,
watch parts,
and other random junk.
IMG_1429.webp


The cartridges included a 40-65 WCF and a rare 56-56 Spencer rimfire. The 56-56 is the first all metallic cartridge for use in a repeating rifle and was used primarily in the civil war, from what I read online (:dontknow:).
The 2 1/8" iron ball is likely from ore crushing rather than a wall gun, but who knows.

IMG_1432.webp

IMG_1430.webp
IMG_1431.webp


I would've dropped some pictures of the place, but I'm not done with it just yet and it would be too easy to identify by the remaining structures. Maybe after I give it a couple more looks.
 
Upvote 27
Been doing some research trying to find a new place to detect. This place was quite a drive to get to, but if it hadn't panned out I know of a nearby spot to look for arrowheads. Didn't need to look for arrowheads this time!
This place started out as a traveler's station in the 1850's and later became a village and was occupied through the 1950's, so I really didn't know what to expect.
Needless to say, there's a lot of trash, a hundred years worth!
It was tough hunting, but I managed a few keepers, like:
a 1878 IHC,
1928-s buffalo nickel,
fancy round button,
other clothing fasteners,
cartridge cases,
harmonica reed,
watch parts,
and other random junk.
View attachment 2255287

The cartridges included a 40-65 WCF and a rare 56-56 Spencer rimfire. The 56-56 is the first all metallic cartridge for use in a repeating rifle and was used primarily in the civil war, from what I read online (:dontknow:).
The 2 1/8" iron ball is likely from ore crushing rather than a wall gun, but who knows.

View attachment 2255288
View attachment 2255289View attachment 2255290

I would've dropped some pictures of the place, but I'm not done with it just yet and it would be too easy to identify by the remaining structures. Maybe after I give it a couple more looks.
You had a great day. It's always nice to discover new places.
 
Another great hunt ! Missed that 1877 by a hair.
I have a hunch that 1877 IHP could still be hiding around your new spot somewhere. Go get it !!
 
very low mintage buffalo, I think maybe the lowest of the whole series. That's an awesome find!
I was looking at that too. I still can't quite decide if it's a 1928S or a 1926S. 1926 would be a semi-key date for sure.
 
I was looking at that too. I still can't quite decide if it's a 1928S or a 1926S. 1926 would be a semi-key date for sure.
I feel it's definitely a '26. If you google image search a '26 and compare to a '28, you'll see the solid straight left side of the numeral 6 versus the indented left side of the 8. This one has the straight left side
 
I was looking at that too. I still can't quite decide if it's a 1928S or a 1926S. 1926 would be a semi-key date for sure.

I feel it's definitely a '26. If you google image search a '26 and compare to a '28, you'll see the solid straight left side of the numeral 6 versus the indented left side of the 8. This one has the straight left side
I agree it's definitely a 1926 S, looks nothing like the 8 .
 
very low mintage buffalo, I think maybe the lowest of the whole series. That's an awesome find!

I was looking at that too. I still can't quite decide if it's a 1928S or a 1926S. 1926 would be a semi-key date for sure.

I feel it's definitely a '26. If you google image search a '26 and compare to a '28, you'll see the solid straight left side of the numeral 6 versus the indented left side of the 8. This one has the straight left side

I agree it's definitely a 1926 S, looks nothing like the 8 .
I got out my loupe and put better lighting on it and you guys are right, it is a '6'!
Too bad it's not in a little better shape. Still, very happy to have it!
 
Been doing some research trying to find a new place to detect. This place was quite a drive to get to, but if it hadn't panned out I know of a nearby spot to look for arrowheads. Didn't need to look for arrowheads this time!
This place started out as a traveler's station in the 1850's and later became a village and was occupied through the 1950's, so I really didn't know what to expect.
Needless to say, there's a lot of trash, a hundred years worth!
It was tough hunting, but I managed a few keepers, like:
a 1878 IHC,
1928-s buffalo nickel,
fancy round button,
other clothing fasteners,
cartridge cases,
harmonica reed,
watch parts,
and other random junk.
View attachment 2255287

The cartridges included a 40-65 WCF and a rare 56-56 Spencer rimfire. The 56-56 is the first all metallic cartridge for use in a repeating rifle and was used primarily in the civil war, from what I read online (:dontknow:).
The 2 1/8" iron ball is likely from ore crushing rather than a wall gun, but who knows.

View attachment 2255288
View attachment 2255289View attachment 2255290

I would've dropped some pictures of the place, but I'm not done with it just yet and it would be too easy to identify by the remaining structures. Maybe after I give it a couple more looks.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom