Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2muchstuff said:
Don't forget to pull the circuit boards out of TV's, VCR's, DVD players and what not. I have a place that will buy circuit boards and depending on how loaded the boards are I can get up to a dollar a pound for them.
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :thumbsup:
Absolutely! All that goes to the curb here are plastic cases with the picture tube.

Don't forget! older sets with tubes are a bonanza! The tubes bring good $$$ to restorers etc.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
jerseypicked said:
How much is a cord on a TV worth in scrap approximately? I have access to about 10 small TVs for 25 cents each. I just want to know if it is worth my time to buy them all for $2.50 JUST to cut the cords and then have to dispose of the rest later.

$1.10 a pound for #2 ins wire by me. As noted many other good stuff in them as long as you don't have to pay a fee to get rid of them legally....

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hobo finds said:
jerseypicked said:
How much is a cord on a TV worth in scrap approximately? I have access to about 10 small TVs for 25 cents each. I just want to know if it is worth my time to buy them all for $2.50 JUST to cut the cords and then have to dispose of the rest later.

$1.10 a pound for #2 ins wire by me. As noted many other good stuff in them as long as you don't have to pay a fee to get rid of them legally....
There's the word Legally. If they get "stolen ::)", it's on them :laughing7: ;D

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
I have no problem with scrapping broke or non working items, i have put good items on craigslist and put them in drive so people could pick, and someone drives by and cuts the cord off.

catbird

Oct 18, 2008
raleigh
Detector(s) used
whites XLT
here in raleigh,nc you can take you components, tv's and such to the dump, there is a special place there you set them and no fee. when i catch a tv or any other component setting with a cord it will mysteriously dissapear.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Well I guess I can chime in here. I beg to differ. I knew of a place a few years ago that did in fact crush old monitors and separated all the plastics, glass and metal. On a small scale load there was no payout, but I'm sure if a company was bringing in tons a week, there could very well have been a payment made. We never did business with them, as we were just taking all our CRT's to Best Buy and taking advantage of their recycling program they had at the time. You paid $10.00 to recycle a monitor and they gave you a $10.00 gift card. I bought many I-Pods, I-Pads, and Laptops with stacks of $10 cards. We still have a pile of them here in the office. One thing to remember about E_Scrap. If you have a pick-up load, you will get little interest from buyers. If you have a semi load, they will talk to you, and if you have a semi load a month, hell, they are calling you and taking you out to lunch. Been at it full time, 19 years this year. Right now we are processing about 30,000 pounds a month, just my wife, my son, and I.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leaded glass in the monitors make it very very difficult to process ( and yes the glass is crushed). Only a few places in the us have the right equip. Only people who I've found making money off monitors was a company that shipped the tube off to Malaysia and some company made $10 Tvs for south east Asian market. Monitors are generally considered a losing ewaste. For computers, the older the better. Modern boards have significantly reduced the amount of gold in them you want 286/386 and older. Also you might want to pull hard drives - many contain ruthenium. It's real tough to get it off the drives but folks are working on better ways to reclaim the metal. also the best waste to go after is catalytic converters from vehicles. They contain platinum, palladium and rhodium. You can get $200 bucks plus a pop for those.

In my previous life I helped to research and finance many of the largest ecycling companies in the industry. It's a neat business.

luxefaire

Dec 21, 2005
Jolly Corner FL
Detector(s) used
Any
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
barter is good. a lot of the federal reserve is about redefining your right to currency as a benefit, and thats how they tax you, because by taking advantage of this redefined BENEFIT provided by a foreign institution you are implying consent, whether you know it or not, whether you care or not, to the federal reserve government which means erosion of your liberty and your earnings and savings...which means the police state and its tax enforcement....just sayin....the only recourse you have is to reserve your rights whenever you sign your name (All Rights Reserved) and to barter and make record of all that...the takeover of our government began really with the takeover of our currency, look it up. Anyway, if you know your way, if you can see clearly, you will exempt yourself from a lot of federal reserve law making, the 90% which is superfluous, because you use alternative currency and insist on it and your rights....but you must insist...its like if a lawyer tells the jury it is not only their job to judge the case, but to judge also also the particular LAW involved, why, he or she will be found in contempt, but before 1929 every jury was briefed in that...its the foundation of our way, and it has been usurped....most prisons are full of debtors, check out the marijuana tax act of 1937, if you get busted for that its because you have not paid a tax, really...debtors prisons are as illegal here as police, and unrevealed contracts, and the monarchy, but they do not want anyone knowing any of this...state sponsored schools and tv have made a mockery of american learning....these lazy fools cannot even see what is going on in the skies now, it is a foreign power which has conquered us, and no one the wiser...the chemicals and EM make it worse as the days go by too.....its a vast dumbing down, its an ATTACK, slow but sure....fyi...also the electric motors are real expensive to buy new, you should peddle the working ones for 10 bux each or more, the GE motors out of ibm selectric typewriters are 90$ each new, and there are a lot of people building their own shop equipment, looking for motors at fleamarkets and such...dont overprice, just get a fair price, it will be a lot more than scrap however you do it....b

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread