A newbies find over the past week of MDing. Plus some finds from work.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings All,

I thought I'd take a moment and introduce myself and also show off some of my finds. I'm a relative newbie to MDing. It's something that I had always wanted to do but for one reason, or another, I just hadn't brought myself to the point of buying a detector, that is until a few weeks ago. The push actually came from my Doctor. You see my Doctor had been on my case to get more exercise in my weekly routine because my cholesterol and triglyceride levels have been running pretty high (unlucky for me this is partly genetic). I thought, well I'm approaching 40 I'd better start listening him before something bad does happen to me. I tried to figure out what it was that I could do to increase my activity above what I'm already doing. Now you have to understand I'm just not one for going to the gym and working out hours on end (though I do have a membership). Thats when lightning struck and I decided I try this hobby (I also started going Geocaching too). Anyhow, I've really enjoyed my time MDing (big time). Although despite my enthusiasm for MDing, I haven't really had all that much to report on, no silver coins or intriguing relics, so what I thought I'd do is just combine a weeks worth of finds to share with the group. I've spent some time going to a local beach (Revere, MA.) with only modest success, I did find a small amount of clad and a fairly new Hot Wheels car. I've also gone to a couple of local parks, again the results were similar, I found only a small amount of clad, one very worn out wheat penny, a few keys (one of them looks pretty old) and a vintage Hot Wheels Car - circa 1975. However, I'm happy to mention, I did meet with pretty good luck finding clad around the grounds of some of the local area high school football & baseball fields, where I found about $8.00 worth of coins including a very nice looking bicentennial Kennedy half dollar that really
made my day (I guess I'm easily pleased).

In addition to the finds mentioned above I also wanted to share my story on some neat bottles I found at the construction site I've been working on. I'm an engineer who typically works on road and bridge reconstruction projects in the metro Boston area of Massachusetts. My work generally takes me anywhere from about 20 miles south of Boston to around 30 miles north of the City (and No, to my credit, I have never worked on that mess of a project they call the Big Pig, or was it the Big Dig). In any case, I found these bottles during the excavation of some streets in the City of Cambridge. We replaced approximately 2 lane miles of roadway, which involved the full, or partial, rehabilitation of about 11 streets over a three block area. We also changed the physical layout of one of the roadways, which in turn brought the new roadway layout right over the remains of several old building foundations. Unfortunately, I hadn't started MDing at this time. Boy I can only dream about what I might have found considering all the material we hauled out of there. I can tell you that the bottles were comming out of the ground like daisy's. Oh well, at least now I know enough to look when we excavate. I have a couple of interesting projects scheduled to start up this spring. Two very old bridges, one in Boston and one north of the City. The Boston bridge is roughly 100 +yo and the other bridge is around 80yo, hopefully I can find an old coin or two at one of these sites.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Its been real nice reading everyones posts and I look forward to conversing through the forum messages with you all again soon. Best of luck and happy hunting! :)

Attachments

• DSCN0c.JPG
    DSCN0c.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 575
  • DSCN1c.JPG
    DSCN1c.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 572
  • DSCN2c.JPG
    DSCN2c.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 570
  • DSCN4c.JPG
    DSCN4c.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 572
  • DSCN5c.JPG
    DSCN5c.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 565
  • DSCN6c.JPG
    DSCN6c.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 552
  • DSCN7c.JPG
    DSCN7c.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 546
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum and hobby Johnny Cache Hunter. Great introduction we enjoy good details whenever possible. (Especially about where you are currently pulling out gold and silver later ;) LoL..). It is a good hobby for exercise. I think you are off to a great start. I just got my first half dollar last week. You got one right off.

Congratulations on your finds. And yes would have been awesome to have swung a coil over the dirt hauled out of there. In hindsight there are so many places I would have loved to hunt its nuts. So I just put it out of my mind and move on.

Postalrevnant

You got a man.

You got a Metal Detector

Now, You have a mission.

Go get'em cause it sounds like you may be on to some good spots.

I love doing street tear ups and sidewalk tear ups. ................AND

WELCOMEand congrats on those finds.

Not bad for a Tenderfoot Johnny! Congratulations and welcome to Treasure Net, the BEST metal detecting on the WWW!

Try working with the "resize/crop" features ;D

HH/NS

Attachments

• Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 518
  • Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 515
Thanks Night Stalker, I wasn't sure what had happend to the images. Playing with the image size worked out. At least now we can see the whole image. Thanks Again

johnny with your pull and connections with city gov you should be a killer talk about missuse of power i expect great finds from you mike in Atlanta ::)

Welcome to the forum and hobby! Nice finds for just getting started. Boston Mass, what a prime place for old relics, good luck, post your finds and HH, Mike

JCH,

well welcome to the board.

Nice intro.

Some nice finds also, love those bottles.
Heck, if you want the exercise to stay healthy,
just spend the winter trying to get them bottles
clean. ;)

Again, nice finds; hope to see many more.

have a good un.........................

cool bottles!

Bitters bottles are worth some cash.
Like "postal", I shudder at the missed
sites, or even sites I see in mid-construction
that I can't find the time to detect--such is
the life of a working stiff-LOL ;D
Good job on the finds- -You have a "in"
for detecting-- hope to see many good
finds!!
HH

Welcome to TN and Thanks for the great post. Those bottles are sweet.Looking forward to more posts and pics from you!

Johnny,
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. It might not give you a ton of exercise but it will help. I know that when I go out with another person I tend to not eat much for the whole day. It can become a fairly "consuming" hobby. I think you picked a good hobby based on where you live and the type of work you are involved in. I see you are good at picture taking/posting. Your pictures look great! :) I like this forum cause you get all kinds of people at all levels of experience. Sometimes the better posts are the Newbie's showing off their meager finds. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mirage

Nice BOTTLES!!!! A bitters bottle and a Dr. Kilmers swamp root bottle?? Is that a sample bottle?? Looks like $$$$ to me! WOW- get some more of them bottles!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I love that bottle! I have pulled several oldies out of the bay in Cape Code. That place is like a time capsule. We try to make it up there in June every year. You are in a very historic part of the country!!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the very warm welcome.
I hope to learn all I can from you folks. I plan to carefully read through as many of the Tnet forum posts as I can during winter so I'll be ready to find the good stuff come next spring.
Happy Hunting everyone and thanks again.

Johnny :)

Johnny Cache Hunter said:
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the very warm welcome.
I hope to learn all I can from you folks. I plan to carefully read through as many of the Tnet forum posts as I can during winter so I'll be ready to find the good stuff come next spring.
Happy Hunting everyone and thanks again.

Johnny :)

Gets depressing in the winter. You see all the warm weather folk still posting neat stuff, and you go outside and find the ground is still a frozen brick :(

Those bottles are very nice. I only ever find broken embossed bits. Happy hunting. It is quite addictive.

Welcome to the forums! I got into MDing for the same reason, Dr. said to get more exercise. Looks like you're off to a blazing start and you are in a very good historical area to make some outstanding finds. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back