What's new

A non S mint mark proof?

thing

Full Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
120
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
I was goin through a box 2day and I roll out this super shiny mirror like finish 63 ben. I thought I had a proof but when I turned it around there was no mint mark. As I kept searching I came across 2 64 that were just as shinny but with no mint mark. I kept going and found a 65 that also had the mirror finish. As best as I can tell these coins were not buffed or diped. I can only see a few small random scratches on the coins. but that is it almost no ware.

Does anybody have any idea why they look as shinny and mirror like as proofs? Is that what silver oins used to look like right after they were minted?
 
Upvote 0
Proofs for those years are non-san francisco.. meaning there are no san francisco minted proofs for those years
 
All proofs prior to 1968 were made in Philly so they don't have MMs.
It very well may be a circulated proof.
 
All proofs prior to 1968 were made in Philly so they don't have MMs.
It very well may be a circulated proof.
correct...here is a breakdown:

Year Philadelphia Mint Denver Mint San Francisco Mint
1948 3,006,814 4,028,600
1949 5,614,000 4,120,600 3,744,000
1950 7,793,509 (51,386) 8,031,600
1951 16,859,602 (57,500) 9,475,200 13,696,000
1952 21,274,073 (81,980) 25,395,600 5,526,000
1953 2,796,820 (128,800) 20,900,400 4,148,000
1954 13,421,502 (233,300) 25,445,580 4,993,400
1955 2,876,381 (378,200)
1956 4,701,384 (669,384)
1957 6,361,952 (1,247,952) 19,966,850
1958 4,917,652 (875,652) 23,962,412
1959 7,349,291 (1,149,291) 13,053,750
1960 7,715,602 (1,691,602) 18,215,812
1961 11,318,244 (3,028,244) 20,276,442
1962 12,932,019 (3,218,019) 35,473,281
1963 25,239,645 (3,075,645) 67,069,292

Note: Numbers in parentheses represent coins which were distributed in proof sets
 
The proof sets were started in 1936.
There were years when sets were not issued as such.
1950 was the actual year the proofs were regularly issued in sets.

For the record there were 3,837 proof sets issued in 1936

But that is picking nits.
suffice to say your circulated proof is probably worth what an MS grade coin of the same year is worth.
 
interesting mistergee, I never knew that. I learn a lot on here
 
The proof sets were started in 1936.
There were years when sets were not issued as such.
1950 was the actual year the proofs were regularly issued in sets.

For the record there were 3,837 proof sets issued in 1936
correct :thumbsup:
i only gave the dates for the Ben Franklin halfs since thats what we were talking about.
here are the mintages of proofs for the Walking Liberty halfs:
1936-3,901
1937-5,728
1938-8,152
1939-8,808
1940-11,279
1941-15,412
1942-21,120
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom