A piece of Georgia history

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in my yard yesterday and thinking it was a block-off plate I almost tossed it until I saw a raised bit of writing on the edge. After cleaning it off, I actually found a piece of Georgia history. This is a large (approx 5 inches across) medallion/plaque? of Walter F. George, who after I researched it a bit, turned out to be one of Georgia most celebrated Senators from 1922 to 1957. This guy was apparently known as a Vocational Educator advocate, was a strict constitutionalist and a staunch segregationist and signed the Southern Manifesto in 1956 to oppose segregation in public schools. He started the Walter F. George School of Law (now Mercer University). He has a Historical Marker in Dooley County Georgia, a Lake and Dam named for him and the Post Office honored him with a 4 cent stamp.
So why this was in my yard, your guess is as good as mine, but an interesting find. If anyone knows anything about this piece, let me know, I can find all sorts of data on the guy but not the piece and why it may have been made and what it was originally part of.
Good hunting everyone!

20220720_114330.jpg

Upvote 29

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I found this in my yard yesterday and thinking it was a block-off plate I almost tossed it until I saw a raised bit of writing on the edge. After cleaning it off, I actually found a piece of Georgia history. This is a large (approx 5 inches across) medallion/plaque? of Walter F. George, who after I researched it a bit, turned out to be one of Georgia most celebrated Senators from 1922 to 1957. This guy was apparently known as a Vocational Educator advocate, was a strict constitutionalist and a staunch segregationist and signed the Southern Manifesto in 1956 to oppose segregation in public schools. He started the Walter F. George School of Law (now Mercer University). He has a Historical Marker in Dooley County Georgia, a Lake and Dam named for him and the Post Office honored him with a 4 cent stamp.
So why this was in my yard, your guess is as good as mine, but an interesting find. If anyone knows anything about this piece, let me know, I can find all sorts of data on the guy but not the piece and why it may have been made and what it was originally part of.
Good hunting everyone!

View attachment 2037797
Wonder how dude could be a staunch segregationist and oppose segregation at the same time?

Nov 16, 2022
Good hunting everyone!

View attachment 2037797
Nice find !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread