What's new

A Pretty Decent Comeback Dig

Oh man that flask is awesome and you found it with the top on it? I imagine it was wrapped in wicker.
 
Yeah RelicDude it still had the pewter cap screwed on! Once I saw the cap I realized it was a flask and not a big med.
 
if you look at the first picture look at the amber med on the far right. You will see a ghostly image. Looks like Ben Franklin. See it? Weird!


That's totally Ben! Most ghost images are all blurry, but that's an HD ghost right there.
 
Big congrats on making the banner. That's a fine insulator specimen if I ever saw one. Love the old bottles as well.
But......

Okay maybe I'm missing something but what makes this particular insulator a banner find?? Not that I have anything whatsoever against it because I do not but I know where I can pick up so many of these things you wouldn't believe it. They're still relatively plentiful along the railroad in my area if you're willing to walk a ways and poke around in the dirt and weeds for a little while. I have a few nice ones myself and my favorites are the blue/green variety.

We used to shoot them all the time along the tracks back in the 70's. They made excellent targets for BB's and .22's. Glass is always fun to shoot as opposed to metal. At least it was in those days.

I also have a few glass bottles that were used to hold battery oil for crossing signal lights. They're marked "Edison Electric Inc." (as I recall; I know the name "Edison" is definitely on there). They had a metal cap like an old soda bottle. Here's an example pic from Google that's similar to mine:

Edison Electric.webp



I know where I can pick up at least a dozen more on a bad day. Apparently they used millions of these bottles back in the day and they were typically just tossed aside and like the insulators, aren't too difficult to come across if you know where to look. A friend of mine found about 100 of these in one spot a couple of years ago.

So anyway, I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the insulator.
 
I don't think the insulator alone was why it was nominated, but yeah I was just as surprised, because there was a lot of other great stuff happening on this forum when this went up.

You're right, there are plenty of nicer insulators out there! And yes they must make good targets, I've spotted them from the ground and climbed up the pole only to find that they had been shot up!

And I've dug one of those little Edison battery oil bottles, a different variant though.
 
Some great looking glass you dug.
I always had a liking to insulators as at Xmas time we put lights under them on the window sill and lit up the different colours.
The pumpkin seed flasks-what more can one say-but they're awesome.
 
Nice dig! haven't seen this post. Must have been before my time here. How did you get this dug glass so clean??
 
Nice dig! haven't seen this post. Must have been before my time here. How did you get this dug glass so clean??

Hey, sorry I didn't see this earlier, No gold!

The glass is so clean because it came out of the right kind of soil, this site was pretty much just pure clay - no ash, no nasty crusty rust layers, and very little or no exposure to the elements. Hard heavy clay is a son of a gun to dig in, backbreaking work, but, you can bet that whatever comes out is going to be pretty darn clean. I like to dig clay in the spring and fall. In the summer, it's like chipping at concrete!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom