What's new

19th Century Bottle Collection

robertk

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 16, 2023
Messages
7,089
Reaction score
34,385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three distinct memories from my childhood that sparked my interest in treasure hunting. Two were coins that I found (a Franklin half and an Indian Head penny), but the other was bottles. I found some old soda bottles one time that were all embossed with designs and logos and I thought those were so cool. Even back in my youth (the stone age, if you ask my kids), nobody was making cool bottles like that. I just thought they were the neatest thing. I don't know what ever became of those soda bottles, lost again to time, but the love of them has stuck with me. Fast forward several decades, and my digging at the mystery house has found lots of glass. So I have pieced together a few old bottles and rekindled the interest. And now, thanks to @Limitool, my collection just got a huge boost.

bottletable.webp


I'm especially excited because these share the same timeframe as the mystery house (late 1800s/early 1900s), and there are some connections! There are some intact versions of bottles that I have found broken here, and a piece of china from England with a hallmark very similar to a fragment I found here. I'm stoked to start learning the history behind them!

My thinking is to start a thread for each bottle I can identify (over time), then edit this post as a sort of "index" to them all. With so many, that seems like the best approach. So, here we go, with the first of many (over time, I'm not rushing this). The titles will link to the individual threads

Medicine Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Dr. Pierce's Golden Medical Discovery1871AquaRectangular with tall neck8.5" x 3" x 1.75"
Dr. Sage's Catarrh Remedy1868TealSquare with neck1.25" x 2.375" x 0.75"
Dr King's New Discovery for Consumption1880AquaRectangular with tall neck2" x 6.5" x 1"
Ely's Cream Balm1870BrownRectangular with short neck1.25" x 2.5" x 1"
Dr S B H Co Pr1885TealRound (Cylindrical)9.5" x 3"
Mexican Mustang Liniment1849TeakRound (Cylindrical)4" x 1.5"
Hires Improved Root Beer1890AquaSquare1.5" x 4" x 1.5"
Otto's Cure for the Throat & Lungs1890AquaRectangular flattened1.125" x 2.75" x 0.75"
Lydia E Pinkham's
Vegetable Compound
1880AquaRectangular flask3.75" x 6.5" x 1.875"
Brant's Pulmonary Balsam1890ClearRectangular with neck2" x 6.5" x 1.5"
L M Green's German Syrup1890GreenRectangular with neck2.75" x 6.75" x 1.5"
JBL Family Remedies1890ClearRectangular flask2" x 5.25"x 1"
JBL Family Remedies (Sample)1890ClearRectangular1.25" x 4.25" x 0.75"

Cologne and Perfume Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Hoyt's German Cologne1870ClearRound (Cylindrical)3.5" x 1.25"

Food, Drink and Condiments

EmbossingPurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
HJ Heinz Company 93Ketchup1890ClearSix-sided tall9" x 2.5"
HJ Heinz Co 13Pickles1890ClearRectangular with short neck2.25" x 7" x 1.75"
(none)Whiskey1880sClearPumpkin Seed Flask3.75" x 5.5" x 1.25"
Hoppe & Strub Toledo OBeer or Mineral Water1880sAmberRound (cylindrical wine)12" x 3.5" dia.

Other
EmbossingPurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858Canning1880sAquaRound jar7" x 3.5"
Six-Pointed Star with MODoll Toy1885ClearRound flask with neck1.5" x 2.75" x 0.75"
 
Last edited:
Apparently after a while I can no longer edit the original post. So I'll continue the listings here.

Medicine Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Modjeska Derma-Balm1890sClearRectangular4.75" x 1.5" x 1.5"
Modjeska Cold Cream1890sWhiteRound (Cylindrical)1.75" h x 2.25" dia
Larkin Cold Cream1880sWhiteRound (cylindrical)1.75" h x 2.25" dia
Resinol Chemical Company1890sWhiteRound (cylindrical)2.25" h x 1.75" dia

Food, Drink, and Condiments
EmbossingPurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Diameter)
KPeppersauce1880sGreenRibbed or Beehive Round (cylindrical) with long neck8.5" x 1.875"
D.H. M. Co.Pickles1894GreenRound (Cylindrical)5.5" x 2.75"

Other:
Embossing (or name)PurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Windsor AnvilPaperweight1888ClearAnvil2.25" x 4" x 2"
Standard Oil Co FavoriteSewing Machine Oil1880sClearRectangular5.75" x 2" x 1"
 
Last edited:
I have three distinct memories from my childhood that sparked my interest in treasure hunting. Two were coins that I found (a Franklin half and an Indian Head penny), but the other was bottles. I found some old soda bottles one time that were all embossed with designs and logos and I thought those were so cool. Even back in my youth (the stone age, if you ask my kids), nobody was making cool bottles like that. I just thought they were the neatest thing. I don't know what ever became of those soda bottles, lost again to time, but the love of them has stuck with me. Fast forward several decades, and my digging at the mystery house has found lots of glass. So I have pieced together a few old bottles and rekindled the interest. And now, thanks to @Limitool, my collection just got a huge boost.

View attachment 2202971

I'm especially excited because these share the same timeframe as the mystery house (late 1800s/early 1900s), and there are some connections! There are some intact versions of bottles that I have found broken here, and a piece of china from England with a hallmark very similar to a fragment I found here. I'm stoked to start learning the history behind them!

My thinking is to start a thread for each bottle I can identify (over time), then edit this post as a sort of "index" to them all. With so many, that seems like the best approach. So, here we go, with the first of many (over time, I'm not rushing this). The titles will link to the individual threads

Medicine Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Dr. Pierce's Golden Medical Discovery1871AquaRectangular with tall neck8.5" x 3" x 1.75"
Dr. Sage's Catarrh Remedy1868TealSquare with neck1.25" x 2.375" x 0.75"
Dr King's New Discovery for Consumption1880AquaRectangular with tall neck2" x 6.5" x 1"
Ely's Cream Balm1870BrownRectangular with short neck1.25" x 2.5" x 1"
Dr S B H Co Pr1885TealRound (Cylindrical)9.5" x 3"
Mexican Mustang Liniment1849TeakRound (Cylindrical)4" x 1.5"
Hires Improved Root Beer1890AquaSquare1.5" x 4" x 1.5"
Otto's Cure for the Throat & Lungs1890AquaRectangular flattened1.125" x 2.75" x 0.75"
Lydia E Pinkham's
Vegetable Compound
1880AquaRectangular flask3.75" x 6.5" x 1.875"
Brant's Pulmonary Balsam1890ClearRectangular with neck2" x 6.5" x 1.5"
L M Green's German Syrup1890GreenRectangular with neck2.75" x 6.75" x 1.5"
JBL Family Remedies1890ClearRectangular flask2" x 5.25"x 1"
JBL Family Remedies (Sample)1890ClearRectangular1.25" x 4.25" x 0.75"

Cologne and Perfume Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Hoyt's German Cologne1870ClearRound (Cylindrical)3.5" x 1.25"

Food, Drink and Condiments

EmbossingPurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
HJ Heinz Company 93Ketchup1890ClearSix-sided tall9" x 2.5"
HJ Heinz Co 13Pickles1890ClearRectangular with short neck2.25" x 7" x 1.75"
(none)Whiskey1880sClearPumpkin Seed Flask3.75" x 5.5" x 1.25"
Hoppe & Strub Toledo OBeer or Mineral Water1880sAmberRound (cylindrical wine)12" x 3.5" dia.

Other
EmbossingPurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858Canning1880sAquaRound jar7" x 3.5"
Six-Pointed Star with MODoll Toy1885ClearRound flask with neck1.5" x 2.75" x 0.75"
Have you had a chance to clean/profile this one up as of yet?

Screenshot_20250501_073850_Chrome.webp
 
Not yet. That one is definitely interesting. I don't think it has any identifying marks on it, other than the distinctive shape. It reminds me of an old Orange Crush or Fanta soda bottle, but those don't match. I haven't looked very hard yet though. Maybe I'll move that one to the front of the line.
 
And now I can't edit my second post. Apparently ten days is the edit cutoff. Anyway, continuing on... (I feel like I'm going to have to collect these all into a complete index when I get done. Which may be a while yet.)

Medicine Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
The C G Clark Co
New Haven CT
(Coe's Cough Balsam)
1880sGreen12-sided cylindrical
(dodecagon)
5.5" h x 1.75" dia
Hood's Sarsa Parilla1880sGreenRectangular9" x 3" x 1.75"
JR Nichols & Co.1870sAquaRectangular10" x 3" x 2"
Dr J Hostetter's Stomach Bitters1880sBrownTall Square9" x 2.75" x 2.75"
Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root Kidney Cure1880sAquaRound cylindrical3" h x 1" dia

Other:
Embossing (or name)PurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Cantata Kerosene LampLamp1880sClearLamp, one-piece, bell base8.875" h x 5" dia
Hobbs Brockunier & Co (?) Kerosene LampLamp1880sClearLamp, two piece, milk glass base11" h x 4" dia
 
Last edited:
robertk It appears to me that there may be 2 totally different ways to look at your planned cataloging of the jackpot wind fall collection of old bottles I have over the years found a fair amount of old at least to me items And quiet a few are old soda /beer bottes from the 1890 to 1920 time framed The embossed bottles are my favorites They where produced in such a wide number of variations and colors At the same time I am a sucker for any bottle that has an embossing that references a local company The economy at that time was all small town business And they all carved out their place and made a profit or went away never to be heard of again And many of those bottles show how the technology changed and how that changing methods where required to keep up with the methods that where often in demand by the customer During the time frame from 1890 to 1920 there was the HUTCHISON Stopper the Boob top the Crown top and others Then there the neck the color of the glass land of course the embossing In some cases the embossing was a work oF art In others it was just the company logo on the bottle in some fashion IT is almost and unending number of variation . That is what makes it so much fun YOU never know what may come to the light of day to show it's unique design after being covered over by simple garbage for the last 100 years LI And finding what you hope to see and ending up with a box full of the same items also is part of liking what you dig and digging and learning lie like what you come home with I have found several really nice Lyda Pinkham's bottles after spending about 45 years of never having put my hands on even a broken piece I got 4 total Pinkham's all in good condition and embossed with different contents in the bottle You have hit a gold mine of bottles that will keep your attention and imagination occupied for a long time Have fun and when you find something that i s a little more to your liking send us a story about it here
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
I have three distinct memories from my childhood that sparked my interest in treasure hunting. Two were coins that I found (a Franklin half and an Indian Head penny), but the other was bottles. I found some old soda bottles one time that were all embossed with designs and logos and I thought those were so cool. Even back in my youth (the stone age, if you ask my kids), nobody was making cool bottles like that. I just thought they were the neatest thing. I don't know what ever became of those soda bottles, lost again to time, but the love of them has stuck with me. Fast forward several decades, and my digging at the mystery house has found lots of glass. So I have pieced together a few old bottles and rekindled the interest. And now, thanks to @Limitool, my collection just got a huge boost.

View attachment 2202971

I'm especially excited because these share the same timeframe as the mystery house (late 1800s/early 1900s), and there are some connections! There are some intact versions of bottles that I have found broken here, and a piece of china from England with a hallmark very similar to a fragment I found here. I'm stoked to start learning the history behind them!

My thinking is to start a thread for each bottle I can identify (over time), then edit this post as a sort of "index" to them all. With so many, that seems like the best approach. So, here we go, with the first of many (over time, I'm not rushing this). The titles will link to the individual threads

Medicine Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Dr. Pierce's Golden Medical Discovery1871AquaRectangular with tall neck8.5" x 3" x 1.75"
Dr. Sage's Catarrh Remedy1868TealSquare with neck1.25" x 2.375" x 0.75"
Dr King's New Discovery for Consumption1880AquaRectangular with tall neck2" x 6.5" x 1"
Ely's Cream Balm1870BrownRectangular with short neck1.25" x 2.5" x 1"
Dr S B H Co Pr1885TealRound (Cylindrical)9.5" x 3"
Mexican Mustang Liniment1849TeakRound (Cylindrical)4" x 1.5"
Hires Improved Root Beer1890AquaSquare1.5" x 4" x 1.5"
Otto's Cure for the Throat & Lungs1890AquaRectangular flattened1.125" x 2.75" x 0.75"
Lydia E Pinkham's
Vegetable Compound
1880AquaRectangular flask3.75" x 6.5" x 1.875"
Brant's Pulmonary Balsam1890ClearRectangular with neck2" x 6.5" x 1.5"
L M Green's German Syrup1890GreenRectangular with neck2.75" x 6.75" x 1.5"
JBL Family Remedies1890ClearRectangular flask2" x 5.25"x 1"
JBL Family Remedies (Sample)1890ClearRectangular1.25" x 4.25" x 0.75"

Cologne and Perfume Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Hoyt's German Cologne1870ClearRound (Cylindrical)3.5" x 1.25"

Food, Drink and Condiments

EmbossingPurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
HJ Heinz Company 93Ketchup1890ClearSix-sided tall9" x 2.5"
HJ Heinz Co 13Pickles1890ClearRectangular with short neck2.25" x 7" x 1.75"
(none)Whiskey1880sClearPumpkin Seed Flask3.75" x 5.5" x 1.25"
Hoppe & Strub Toledo OBeer or Mineral Water1880sAmberRound (cylindrical wine)12" x 3.5" dia.

Other
EmbossingPurposeDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858Canning1880sAquaRound jar7" x 3.5"
Six-Pointed Star with MODoll Toy1885ClearRound flask with neck1.5" x 2.75" x 0.75"
Wow what an impressive bunch of bottles. Looks like you have your work cut out for you researching, cataloging and organizing.. have fun with it, wish I were that organized!
 
You step away for a couple of weeks and you can't edit old posts anymore. Sigh. So here is yet another restart of the "index" thread. I'll collect them all into a single index one of these days.

Medicine Bottles:

EmbossingDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Scott's Emulsion1880sAquaRectangular9.25" x 3" x 2"
Hebblewhite Mfg Co1890'sAquaRectangukar4.75" x 1.5" x 1.5"
Dr Miles Restorative Nervine1880sAquaRectangular8.25" x 2.75" x 1.5"
Bixby Shoe Polish1880sAquaRound (Cylindrical)3.75" x 2.5"
Bixby Royal Polish1880ClearRound. (Cylindrical)3.75' x 2"
Tall Caswell Apothecary Bottle1880sClearRound (Cylindrical)10" x 3.25" dia.
 
Last edited:
Medicine Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Parker's Hair Balsam1880sBrownRectangular10" x 2.5" x 1.25"
Rex C Merritt Drug Store1906ClearRectangular3.75" x 1.5" x 0.875"
Modjeska Tooth Powder1880sClearRectangular3.25" x 2.25" x 1.25"
Dr D Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge1880sAquaRectangular5.5" x 2" x 1"
Chamberlain's Cough Remedy1880sAquaRectangular6" x 2" x 1"
Ayers Ague Cure1880sAquaRectangular7" x 2.25" x 1.5"

Food Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
JBL Flavoring Extract Co1890sClearRectangular5.75" x 1.75" x 0.75"
 
Last edited:
Medicine Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Haslett & Gladding, Druggists1876ClearRectangular5.75" x 2.25" x 1.25"
T. Mansfield's Capillaris1880sClearRound3" x 2.25" dia.
William S Merrell Fluid Extract1880sClearFlattened Round5.5" x 2" x 1.25"
William S Merrell Pill Bottle1880sBrownRectangular5.5" x 2" x 1.25"

Other Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
JJ Butler Ink Bottle1850sGreenSquare Semi-Cabin2.5" x 1.5" x 1.5"
Carter's Ink Bottle1910sClearRound2.5" x 2" dia.
 
Last edited:
Medicine Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Parke Davis Cinchona Aromatics1880sClearRectangular3.5" x 1.75" x 1.25"

Other Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Whittemore Shoe Polish1880sAquaRectangular5.5" x 2.5" x 1.5"
 
Last edited:
An impressive collection of bottles.
I also have to say that your posting is also very well done. The link presenting more detail and image is very nice. Well done.

My main collecting interest is native American relics. In the 70s and early 80s, during days were hunting relics was not possible I bottle hunted in the Ozark foothills. My record for a single day was 30. This was a location of a late 1800's early 1900's dairy farm where I was able to find bottles in a dump on the sides of the cliffs. The dairy tossed refuse over a cliff area for many, many years. In some areas I was able to find bottles simply by moving leaves and sticks.

In the late 60s through the early 70s we used to walk old railroad tracks and check the ditches on both sides. It seemed folks used to toss bottles out the windows back in the day.
 
My record for a single day was 30. This was a location of a late 1800's early 1900's dairy farm where I was able to find bottles in a dump on the sides of the cliffs. The dairy tossed refuse over a cliff area for many, many years.
That must have been a common way to deal with the trash. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

In the late 60s through the early 70s we used to walk old railroad tracks and check the ditches on both sides.
That's an interesting strategy. But wouldn't you have to be constantly probing the ground to find them (buried over with mud and silt)?
 
That must have been a common way to deal with the trash. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.


That's an interesting strategy. But wouldn't you have to be constantly probing the ground to find them (buried over with mud and silt)?
the ground was crazy rocky and probing was not possible. never did probe. it is in the Ozarks after all.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom