What's new

19th Century Bottle Collection

Nice collection. The Mexican Mustang Liniment is a later example than 1849, likely closer to 1880-1890s. The J.J. Butler's Ink is probably the best bottle in the bunch, and dead on with the date. Really nice find.
 
The Mexican Mustang Liniment is a later example than 1849, likely closer to 1880-1890s
That would make sense and fit better with the other bottles from the sitE. I’ll have to take another look.
 
That would make sense and fit better with the other bottles from the sitE. I’ll have to take another look.
This site had it as early Victorian
Mexican Mustang Liniment – For Man & Beast | Peachridge Glass https://share.google/Cui7uccBF6WBHoSbo
I haven't looked at any other references.
The bottom picture I can't make out if it's a rough pontil break.
 
The bottom picture I can't make out if it's a rough pontil break.
Well it's a bit hard to make out, but here are a couple more photos (click to enlarge). One is "straight on", the other at angle. There does appear to be a scar or mark or something in the middle, irregularly shaped, depending on the angle it almost seems triangular or perhaps pentagon shaped. It's also pretty flat (definitely not embossing or a maker mark), maybe even a bit concave, fairly smooth, with just a little bit of rough texture.

IMG_3502.webp IMG_3503.webp

I also looked closer at the mold seams, and they do not extend onto the neck of the bottle at all on either side. Here's a closer look at that (again click to enlarge):

IMG_3504.webp

The mold seams go all the way down to the very bottom of the bottle (right to the edge) but there does not appear to be a mold seam on the bottom itself.

So maybe not super old, but at the very least, seems mouth blown. Not sure about the pontil though.
 
Last edited:
Medicine Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Sanford's Jamaica Ginger1880sAquaRectangular6.75" x 2.375" x 1.125"
 
Medicine Bottles:

Embossing or nameDateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)
Foley's Honey & Tar1890sAquaRectangular4.375" x 1.25" x 0.5"
Foley's Cream1890sClearRectangular4.125" x 1.5" x 1.5"
 
Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom