A productive day at the camp.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Hey guys,

I headed over to the camp this morning, driving through a very ominous white fog. I met up with TreasureFiend and we headed up to the same area we've been pulling oldies out of. Almost right away I pulled a 1940 wheat cent, so I knew this was going to be a good area. However, after a little while hunting and not finding any other coins, we headed over to an area I know has been hunted many, many times. I've seen guys in this particular area working it to "death", so I didn't think much of it. Within about ten minutes I had a really nice solid quarter signal amongst a bunch of huge, thick roots at the base of a tree. I carefully dug and retrieved a mercury dime. I called over to TF and told him what I found. As he was walking over, I used the Sunray probe and was still getting a good signal. Bam, merc # 2. Right before TF got to me, I pulled merc #3 out of this hole. So far, my only three-merc coin spill! Later, I was detecting under a fallen branch and got a good signal again. Out of this hole was merc #4. Not too much longer later, I dug my first camp buffalo nickel.

A while later, I got a strange bouncing signal on the M6. It was shallow and bounced from the 20's to the 70's. I figured it was junk but dug it anyway. Good thing I did, as it was a coin spill consisting of buffalo nickel #2, war nickel, '46 clad Jefferson, and a 1909 wheat (no S, sorry guys). I thought TF was going to kill me. I don't know why I was so lucky today. After I showed him what I found, I detected the area around that coin spill and pulled up another silver war nickel about a foot away. Then not too far away, another buffalo (#3). A few more wheats (including one laying right on the surface), and I was done!

We ran into Des Plaines Silver Bob (actually, he ran into us), he was detecting with us for a bit and I believe he pulled a few wheats. TF found a buffalo nickel, a bunch of wheats, and a 1961 nickel coin spill (how frustrating!). Total coins for the day as follows:

1939, 1941, 1943, 1944 mercs
1945 P, 1943 P war nickels
1929, 1930, 1936 buffalo nickels
1946 Jefferson nickel
1909, 1938, 1940, 1944 D wheat cents

I also picked up another 1911 scout pin.

I posted scans of the better coins.

Without a doubt, the most productive hunt for me so far at the camp.

Good luck this weekend guys, hope you find the good stuff!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 164

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Thats a great hunt in anyones book!! All I got today in a hour was a handful of clad a1901 indian and a 1926 buffalo..

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Awesome digs Joe! You guys up for it tomorrow? I might get a free day and a vehicle.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you had an exceptional day!!! Great job bud, not too shabby for a hunted out place. :icon_pirat:
Oh, congrats on your first camp buffalo!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
twistidd

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Thanks for the compliments guys, appreciated. We've been working this place hard and it has finally paid off for me in a most generous fashion.

Lowbatts, TF and I will out out tomorrow am. Stop by, if we're already out in the woods, call me, you've got my number.

Joe

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can you say...You had a fantastic day... 6 silver day with buffalos and wheats is Fantastic in my book

Good to see you guys out there..

Congrats to both on your finds...

TF The other bottle dump is big It was about 200 feet from where we were standing. Unless that is the 3rd one out there besides the one I was telling you about.

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 166
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 146

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, Thanks for the heads up on that bottle dump. I'll take a walk down that old trail in the morning. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread