What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED A railroad button I think

Fourman110

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2013
Messages
441
Reaction score
790
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at a house tear out not so far from our downtown (Marion, IA). Marion has quite a history of railroads, having two round houses at one time. More here about local railroads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_station_(Iowa). I was thinking this button is probably a railroad button by RR inthe last two letters. The first number is a puzzle due to corrosion of the button. The back is pretty crusty and I can only make out "Co". There's some gold gildilng stillon it! Must have looked sharp in it's day. Any suggestions would be really helpful.
 

Attachments

  • WIN_20221016_11_08_20_Pro.webp
    WIN_20221016_11_08_20_Pro.webp
    129.7 KB · Views: 138
  • WIN_20221016_11_09_52_Pro.webp
    WIN_20221016_11_09_52_Pro.webp
    168.2 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
You know that could be it, but really odd to find in Iowa. It's a long way from the west coast.
I find Railway Buttons from Belgium, so its not that odd a thing to happen.
 
Upvote 1
I think you're probably right on thr PRR. There is a little slant on the top right edge of the first letter and it doesn't look like there would e a leg for an R or loop for a B below it.

In doing some more research I'm wondering if it's not Pennsylvania Railroad though. I found some very similar buttons identified as Pennsylvania RR on Ebay. I also found an article on Iowa railroads that had a tie into PRR. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabash_Railroad
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom