🥇 BANNER A Rare Find - 17th Century Pewter Pipe - Native American & Handmade

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A recent search of the woods has me reconsidering my preference for searching open fields. I had been scouting for a potential cellar hole but only located the ruins of a barn. Over an hour of searching produced two plain buttons and a more satisfying recovery, an ornate horse bridle rosette of pewter and brass (possibly dating early to mid-1800s). Here’s the rosette.

DSCN0696[1].JPG

I widened my search area to hopefully locate the house foundation but only came upon another barn site with old trash scattered about the brush. Retreating back to the first barn, I came upon a loud, high-toned signal near the opening of a stone wall. I figured that the target was a shotgun shell, rusted can, or other form of modern trash – I couldn’t have been more wrong. After removing a large cut plug, and loosened up some dirt, I fished around with my probe and uncovered a small, intact tobacco pipe that appeared to date from long ago. Digging into cellar holes and trash pits over the years, I've found a few nearly intact pipes – but never complete and certainly never so old. :hello2:

DSCN0574[1].JPG
DSCN0568[1].JPG

Such a surprising find triggers a number of thoughts in an instant: “How could it be complete? What are the odds of digging a pipe by chance? Pipes are clay – so what else was in the hole?” :icon_scratch: I picked up the pipe and was astonished by its heavy weight and solid feel! It was a metal pipe of lead or pewter! I was just ending my morning hunt, so I took some pictures and a short video. I searched for other associated finds in the immediate area and headed home eager to research my unique find.

I figured the pipe was Native American in origin, and a search online confirmed this beyond all doubt. The pipe was found along an old Indian trail in Rhode Island. The colony was founded by Roger Williams, the wayward minister who fled from the authorities in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1636 to avoid being shipped back to England. He spent the winter with a neighboring tribe, eventually settled, and traded with the powerful Narragansetts to the south of his settlement in Providence. His knowledge of the local tribes and their language resulted in his authoring a book published way back in 1643 - A Key into the Language of America. It was the very first study of a Native American language written in English; it’s this book that also confirmed that my recovered pipe was Native American in origin! In his book written in old English, Williams describes the metal working abilities of his native neighbors with the following: “They have an excellent art to cast our pewter and brasse into very neate and artificiall pipes.” I had found a specimen of one of these exact pipes! :icon_cheers:

Key_Into_the_Language_of_America[1].jpg

I’ve dug my share of pewter over the years, all of it reduced to bits and pieces, usually a spoon handle or a button, but somehow this pipe emerged from the soil nor worse for the course of 340+ years buried in the ground.

DSCN0625[1].JPG

I took the precaution of having the pipe checked out by a professional conservator who was very helpful and offered sound advice. I allowed the pipe to slowly dry as the conservator instructed, and it remains completely stable and solid. I still need to lightly brush off some of the surface dirt, but I’m going to leave the dirt in the bowl untouched. I’m making arrangements to have the artifact properly stored with inert material to minimize the chance of any future deterioration. Here's the pipe after thoroughly drying.

DSCN0685[1].JPG

The pipe dates as early as the 1630s and no later than 1676. The pipe most likely belonged to a Narragansett brave. So how rare are Native American pewter pipes? They are very rare. “Neat and Artificial”: Base Metal Trade Pipes of the Northeastern Indians is the title of a 2004 study of pewter pipes that I found online. This study could only account for a total of 43 pewter pipes in the holding of several museums. They are as follows.

DSCN0699[1].JPG

The study estimated that no more than 150 pewter pipes exist overall between museums and private collections. Nearly all of the 43 pipes from the study were recovered in the excavation of burial sites, as the pipes were deposited as grave goods. How it was that I came upon an apparent dropped pipe certainly seems highly implausible, but is it really so? This is one of my very best historical finds dating between the arrival of the English in New England and the inevitable conflict between the English and most of the Algonquin tribes of New England It was called King Phillip’s War, after the sachem of the Wampanoags, and the conflict all but consumed New England from 1675-1676. Interestingly, major fighting took place in the area where I recovered the pipe; moreover, colonial forces captured a large number of Narragansetts at nearby campsites. They were eventually sold into slavery in the West Indies. Perhaps these events are connected to the loss of pipe? It’s possible, but what’s certain is the overall identity of the pipe – dating to the mid-1600’s, fashioned from English pewter, Native American in origin, and fashioned by hand, as described by Rhode Island’s founder, Roger Williams.

I only recovered a single musket ball on a return trip to the site, but I’ll be going back sooner or later. My apologies for the long post, but the significance of some finds, if not many finds, is all in the details. :icon_study:

Good Hunting!

Upvote 140
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An absolutely mindboggling find Jim! I had no idea the Natives worked with pewter, especially for the fabrication of pipes. Usually pewter items are formed by pouring it in liquid form into a mold, but I didn't think they had that technology unless provided to them by the early settlers. Also, pipes that incorporated a pedestal heel like yours did not start to evolve until after the mid-1600s, so I would tend to place your example toward the end of the time frame you gave. That style bowl also did not appear until around that time as the earlier ones were more bulbous in shape. Regardless, I'm still flabbergasted with your amazing recovery. Great write-up too! Banner vote is on the way .....

Here's the link for an informative article on base-metal (pewter) pipes of the northeastern Indians if you or any other members are interested in taking a look.

"Neat and Artificial Pipes": Base Metal Trade Pipes of the Northeastern Indians | Richard Veit - Academia.edu

Here are some images and details on some other Native American pewter pipes found on 17th century sites on the east coast.

pipe 1.png

pipe 2 & 3.png

pipe 4.png

pipe 5.png
This pipe was excavated several years ago in Maryland.

Surprisingly, it does not appear that these pipes were made with molds. No two pipes from the 2004 study are alike, and they show no trace of mold seams. Native New England tribes became quite skilled at working with their hands on metals to take advantage of European technology and improving upon their own their own customs and habits. During raids on native villages at the time of King Phillip’s War, colonial forces found that tribes had their own forges for repairing firearms. These pipes came in a variety of styles and sizes. Only one other pipe has been apparently found in Rhode Island. It's excavation was published way back in the 1930s. It was a small pipe like the one I recovered. It's believed that these pipes were useful while hunting or journeying on foot, as clay pipes were to easy to snap while traveling.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Silver Tree Chaser; Here is something I think I just noticed. If you look at the cleaned pipe look up near the bottom of the pipe bowl. It does look like some type of Inscription or Lettering there. Please double check that and let us know ok. AWSOME.!! PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Silver Tree Chaser; Here is something I think I just noticed. If you look at the cleaned pipe look up near the bottom of the pipe bowl. It does look like some type of Inscription or Lettering there. Please double check that and let us know ok. AWSOME.!! PEACE:RONB

I believe that its only thick spall from oxidation that might appear as an inscription, but thank you for the observation. You just never know!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only a historical find of immense proportion, this post is one of the best organized, researched and explained I've seen on this or any other site. Congrats on your museum-level recovery and banner.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and, no, I don't "got Mass Silver" but I'm trying!

Steve

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing and educating us on your significant find. I enjoyed every sentence of your well-written post. IMO few recoveries reach this level of importance. With finds of this importance, however, comes the responsibility that this pipe remains preserved and eventually gets passed on for future generations to cherish. Surely very few of us will ever have that privilege. Congratulations again.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible recovery Silver Tree- always nice when you can add context to such a rare piece of history. Items like this is what relic hunting is all about...how many guys would have though that pipe was junk I wonder. Excellent research and well deserved banner

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a really cool find - congrats. Thank you for increasing my knowledge too!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A recent search of the woods has me reconsidering my preference for searching open fields. I had been scouting for a potential cellar hole but only located the ruins of a barn. Over an hour of searching produced two plain buttons and a more satisfying recovery, an ornate horse bridle rosette of pewter and brass (possibly dating early to mid-1800s). Here’s the rosette.

View attachment 1446978

I widened my search area to hopefully locate the house foundation but only came upon another barn site with old trash scattered about the brush. Retreating back to the first barn, I came upon a loud, high-toned signal near the opening of a stone wall. I figured that the target was a shotgun shell, rusted can, or other form of modern trash – I couldn’t have been more wrong. After removing a large cut plug, and loosened up some dirt, I fished around with my probe and uncovered a small, intact tobacco pipe that appeared to date from long ago. Digging into cellar holes and trash pits over the years, I've found a few nearly intact pipes – but never complete and certainly never so old. :hello2:

View attachment 1446979
View attachment 1446980

Such a surprising find triggers a number of thoughts in an instant: “How could it be complete? What are the odds of digging a pipe by chance? Pipes are clay – so what else was in the hole?” :icon_scratch: I picked up the pipe and was astonished by its heavy weight and solid feel! It was a metal pipe of lead or pewter! I was just ending my morning hunt, so I took some pictures and a short video. I searched for other associated finds in the immediate area and headed home eager to research my unique find.

I figured the pipe was Native American in origin, and a search online confirmed this beyond all doubt. The pipe was found along an old Indian trail in Rhode Island. The colony was founded by Roger Williams, the wayward minister who fled from the authorities in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1636 to avoid being shipped back to England. He spent the winter with a neighboring tribe, eventually settled, and traded with the powerful Narragansetts to the south of his settlement in Providence. His knowledge of the local tribes and their language resulted in his authoring a book published way back in 1643 - A Key into the Language of America. It was the very first study of a Native American language written in English; it’s this book that also confirmed that my recovered pipe was Native American in origin! In his book written in old English, Williams describes the metal working abilities of his native neighbors with the following: “They have an excellent art to cast our pewter and brasse into very neate and artificiall pipes.” I had found a specimen of one of these exact pipes! :icon_cheers:

View attachment 1446981

I’ve dug my share of pewter over the years, all of it reduced to bits and pieces, usually a spoon handle or a button, but somehow this pipe emerged from the soil nor worse for the course of 340+ years buried in the ground.

View attachment 1446982

I took the precaution of having the pipe checked out by a professional conservator who was very helpful and offered sound advice. I allowed the pipe to slowly dry as the conservator instructed, and it remains completely stable and solid. I still need to lightly brush off some of the surface dirt, but I’m going to leave the dirt in the bowl untouched. I’m making arrangements to have the artifact properly stored with inert material to minimize the chance of any future deterioration. Here's the pipe after thoroughly drying.

View attachment 1446983

The pipe dates as early as the 1630s and no later than 1676. The pipe most likely belonged to a Narragansett brave. So how rare are Native American pewter pipes? They are very rare. “Neat and Artificial”: Base Metal Trade Pipes of the Northeastern Indians is the title of a 2004 study of pewter pipes that I found online. This study could only account for a total of 43 pewter pipes in the holding of several museums. They are as follows.

View attachment 1446984

The study estimated that no more than 150 pewter pipes exist overall between museums and private collections. Nearly all of the 43 pipes from the study were recovered in the excavation of burial sites, as the pipes were deposited as grave goods. How it was that I came upon an apparent dropped pipe certainly seems highly implausible, but is it really so? This is one of my very best historical finds dating between the arrival of the English in New England and the inevitable conflict between the English and most of the Algonquin tribes of New England It was called King Phillip’s War, after the sachem of the Wampanoags, and the conflict all but consumed New England from 1675-1676. Interestingly, major fighting took place in the area where I recovered the pipe; moreover, colonial forces captured a large number of Narragansetts at nearby campsites. They were eventually sold into slavery in the West Indies. Perhaps these events are connected to the loss of pipe? It’s possible, but what’s certain is the overall identity of the pipe – dating to the mid-1600’s, fashioned from English pewter, Native American in origin, and fashioned by hand, as described by Rhode Island’s founder, Roger Williams.

I only recovered a single musket ball on a return trip to the site, but I’ll be going back sooner or later. My apologies for the long post, but the significance of some finds, if not many finds, is all in the details. :icon_study:

Good Hunting!

That ones been waiting for you.

GREAT HISTORICAL FIND , A BIG! CONGRATZ.
Davers

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn my friend....this would have been one of the easiest BANNER nominations I've ever given! Anytime I get an education on an early piece that I didn't know existed it's a great post. But this thing is at a whole other level of incredible. Congrats buddy. From one lover of the early stuff to another I commend you on this find

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn my friend....this would have been one of the easiest BANNER nominations I've ever given! Anytime I get an education on an early piece that I didn't know existed it's a great post. But this thing is at a whole other level of incredible. Congrats buddy. From one lover of the early stuff to another I commend you on this find

Ahab - Thanks pal and good luck to you up in your neck of the woods.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I just read this post! I would take that pipe over a double eagle any day! I have always loved finding intact pewter, thought it is extremely hard to manage, anything intact is quite hard to find. That pipe though! Such a unique find, I had no idea that they even made pewter pipes, I have only found pieces of 18th century clay pipes. Probably one of the coolest finds I have seen on TreasureNet. Also, I hope you find a good way to keep it preserved, I was recommended Elmer's glue for my sundial, which worked great (please get second opinions though, you don't want to risk ruining such an amazing find!)

Again, Congrats on such a great find, and well deserved banner! :occasion14:

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! A complete pewter pipe is absolutely incredible. I may have come close to one myself, but without the stem. This was found at a small fort/campsite along the Forbes Road in PA. Forbes Road was built in 1758 as a means for the British to move in on the French stronghold at Fort Duquesne (later named Fort Pitt). Although this site dates to the middle 1700's, there was a Indian Trading Post pretty close by that dates to the early 1700's. Your research is to be commended. 0504172116-1.jpg 0504172118-1.jpg

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Rare Find - 17th Century Pewter Pipe - Native American & Handmade

Great great research. How many times should I say banner.

Man if the pipe could talk

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great save!!! Congrats sir!!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! A complete pewter pipe is absolutely incredible. I may have come close to one myself, but without the stem. This was found at a small fort/campsite along the Forbes Road in PA. Forbes Road was built in 1758 as a means for the British to move in on the French stronghold at Fort Duquesne (later named Fort Pitt). Although this site dates to the middle 1700's, there was a Indian Trading Post pretty close by that dates to the early 1700's. Your research is to be commended. View attachment 1447528 View attachment 1447529

Tom - Your pipe bowl recovery follows the known distribution of these pewter pipes, for the vast majority of the pipes in the referenced study from my IP came from PA. That distinction largely reflects the systematic study of native burials in PA that is absent in other states; nonetheless, these pewter pipes were clearly used among tribes in PA (Susquehannock sites from south-central PA). Certainly, it could have made its way to your place of recovery through trade. You can find a link to the study on page 3 of this thread if your interested. I'm glad to see that others have been found. Great Recovery! :occasion14:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a magnificent find!

Top Member Reactions