What's new

A real REALE good day!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn't start out as a real good day. The spot I was planning to hunt was more than an hour from my house and about half way there I realized that I forgot my shovel and digger at home. I had to make a pit stop and spend $20 that I really did not want to. After buying a new shovel I continued on and arrived. This spot I had hunted a few weeks ago but found nothing but a couple crusty large cents. The property owner told me that it had been hunted before so I did not hold out much hope but it is right on the water and it is blasting hot here today. Not to mention this is near the spot where a friend had dug a British marked cannonball.

I had hunted for a couple hours and really had nothing to show except a couple musketballs. I decided to hit a part of the field where I had not hunted as it was very difficult to swing due to the low cut off vegatation. I told myself that I was going to dig one more target and then go home. About five minutes later I dug the end of a pewter spoon or firk which was hallmarked...thinking this was as good as it was going to get I started making my way back to the car. About 50 yards from the car I get another signal. I dig with the shovel and open the plug. I use my Sunray probe to find the target...it is really close and I just missed it with the shovel. I didn't have a digger so I was using my fingers...risking glass injury all day and I clear a little away from the target...that's when I see silver! It was the right size for a silver quarter so I move a little more earth away and that's when I see the pillars! REALE!!! I grab my camera and snap a pic of the reale in the hole! Can you see it in the first pic?

This is the second reale that I have dug...the first being the 8 reale from last year. Earlier this week I was telling a couple digging friends that I would like to dig a smaller reale so that I can have a bezel made for a pendant...I think that is what I will do with this one.

It is a 1784 1 reale. I'm not sure of the mint yet...don't have my loupe...I'll check it later! Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • reale hole.webp
    reale hole.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 914
  • dirty reale.webp
    dirty reale.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 921
  • dirty reale 2.webp
    dirty reale 2.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 917
  • clean reale.webp
    clean reale.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 927
  • clean reale2.webp
    clean reale2.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 898
Upvote 0
The stuff of legends!

Great find...

I can only imagine finding something like that in the souther Cal area...


HH from M2
 
Very nice dig.....So was that the last hole you dug i have to doubt it after finding that i would have stayed until dark..
 
NORTHEAST HUNTER said:
Very nice dig.....So was that the last hole you dug i have to doubt it after finding that i would have stayed until dark..

It was the last hole...too excited! I'll be going back this weekend and camping...
 
WOW WOW WOW!!! That's cool! I'm still waiting to find my first pre-1800 coin! WAY TO GO!!!!
 
Great find...I like the detail on the reverse.

HH

NJ
 
Cool coin!!!! Think some explorer drooped it? Now here you are finding it with todays fun technology.It's good being in the 21st century.


Good luck on your camp trip.
 
Sweet Reale!! Congrats on a great find!
 
Good work & excellent coin. ;D ;D ;D
 
You have had some luck with spanish silver! Really nice!
 
KirkPA said:
You make your Canadian ancestors proud, bud. How deep was he?

This one was actually deeper than the 8 reale...about 6 inches. I almost didn't dig because it was very erratic due to a chunk of iron nearby. I have been practicing hunting in heavy iron and I think it will pay off. I used to avoid the iron areas and concentrate on the peripheries but now I am going right into the centre of the stuff!
 
very nice find! theres something to be said about being the first person to hold a piece of silver that was lost 200+ years ago! its a great feeling! congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom