What's new

A real REALE good day!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
9,863
Reaction score
7,127
Golden Thread
3
Location
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn't start out as a real good day. The spot I was planning to hunt was more than an hour from my house and about half way there I realized that I forgot my shovel and digger at home. I had to make a pit stop and spend $20 that I really did not want to. After buying a new shovel I continued on and arrived. This spot I had hunted a few weeks ago but found nothing but a couple crusty large cents. The property owner told me that it had been hunted before so I did not hold out much hope but it is right on the water and it is blasting hot here today. Not to mention this is near the spot where a friend had dug a British marked cannonball.

I had hunted for a couple hours and really had nothing to show except a couple musketballs. I decided to hit a part of the field where I had not hunted as it was very difficult to swing due to the low cut off vegatation. I told myself that I was going to dig one more target and then go home. About five minutes later I dug the end of a pewter spoon or firk which was hallmarked...thinking this was as good as it was going to get I started making my way back to the car. About 50 yards from the car I get another signal. I dig with the shovel and open the plug. I use my Sunray probe to find the target...it is really close and I just missed it with the shovel. I didn't have a digger so I was using my fingers...risking glass injury all day and I clear a little away from the target...that's when I see silver! It was the right size for a silver quarter so I move a little more earth away and that's when I see the pillars! REALE!!! I grab my camera and snap a pic of the reale in the hole! Can you see it in the first pic?

This is the second reale that I have dug...the first being the 8 reale from last year. Earlier this week I was telling a couple digging friends that I would like to dig a smaller reale so that I can have a bezel made for a pendant...I think that is what I will do with this one.

It is a 1784 1 reale. I'm not sure of the mint yet...don't have my loupe...I'll check it later! Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • reale hole.webp
    reale hole.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 914
  • dirty reale.webp
    dirty reale.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 921
  • dirty reale 2.webp
    dirty reale 2.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 917
  • clean reale.webp
    clean reale.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 927
  • clean reale2.webp
    clean reale2.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 898
Upvote 0
I guess this makes you a two-timer! Nice find!
 
very nice find! Always a thrill to unearth one of these coins! WTG!
 
Not only is it a fantastic find, it's in great shape too!

Congratulations!



Ridley
 
A "realey" good day! Congrats on that fantastic find!
 
Wow, that's a Great find. I find heading back to the car I find my best finds. Thanks for posting your story and pictures.

My partner found one almost like yours a couple weeks back in a dried up creek bed we where hunting here in Ohio. His was dated 1788, go figure. Right here in Ohio in a creek bed. We think maybe a trapper from way back might have dropped it along the creek, or maybe an Indian dropped it. Either way it was a great find. I'm including a picture of his find.

HH, Ringfinder
 

Attachments

  • Gary\'s finds for the day1.webp
    Gary\'s finds for the day1.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 520
  • Another view of Gary in  Creek Bed1.webp
    Another view of Gary in Creek Bed1.webp
    85.2 KB · Views: 492
  • Gary\'s finds for the day1.webp
    Gary\'s finds for the day1.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 506
The thrill of finding one of those must be a 15 on the scale of 1 to 10...Congrats on the stellar find!
 
Beautiful old coin. I can't even imagine.
Congrats,
MM
 
Super nice find, Congrats!!!
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~
 
Old Dog said:
Romeo,

Super coin!!!
Got to love those once in a lifetime finds.

Congrats

OD

I hear about people's happy dances but have never done that...until yesterday...it was a real thrill to find this and now I am out for more!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom