What's new

A real revelation!

Alan Applegate

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
Messages
262
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a couple of kiddie lots today, and came home with a bunch of clad, but not enough to talk about. Then I realized that I hadn't dumped out the coins from the last kiddie lot hunt! Lo and behold, I have enough coin to buy a new set of batteries!
 
he he, he haw haw/ he he, he haw haw haw. Keep up the good work.
 
Nice!

mountainman6.webp
 
That's what I usually use my clad for.
luvsdux
 
Awesome-pays to play!
 
Why not rechargeable batteries…..more cost upfront but overall should pay for itself
 
Funny you should ask that Doc.

The upfront cost of rechargeables including the charger isn't all that significant, and they do last a long time. However, that isn't the whole story. Depending on the detector, the operational life of any specific rechargeable can be as low as half that of alkaline batteries. In the case of my Garrett GTI-2500, a set of alkalines last at least 40 hours of operation. A set of fully charged NiCads last about 24 hours. A set of NiMHs about 18 to 20 hours. It isn't so much the capacity of the rechargeable batteries, but one of the voltage over time vs. discharge percentage.

Alkalines stay fairly close to their design voltage (≈1.5), until their capacity drops to about 10%. At that point, under load they drop to about 1 volt which starts to cause erratic detection. Both NiCad and NiMH will drop to 1 volt at about 40% or so of the capacity. While they can indeed be recharged, doing so in the field is a bit cumbersome.

I do use NiMH when I'm in town, but if I take a trip, I always take a supply of alkalines, and leave the rechargeables at home.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom