A record spill found, a couple of old Wheats, Lucky Lindberg token

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was only an hour and a half hunt. The record spill was found at the base of a large oak tree and is only newer pennies but it is the most coins I have found in a spill. There was an area with some sawdust about 6 feet in diameter that I swung the detector over and it went crazy with targets. I just put the detector down and used the pinpointer to recover all the pennies. IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0008.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPG78 pennies recovered. Go figure. Not one dime or any other coin. I also found a 1910 Wheat and a really toasted green blob that I could not tell what it was, so I used electrolosis and it turned out to be a 1920 Wheat. Not very good shape, but I just wanted to know what it was. I found a cheap Scotty dog pin and also found a Lucky Lindberg token at about 8 inches. It is a little larger than a half dollar and commemorates Lindberg's crossing of the Atlantic dated 1927. Happy hunting and thanks for looking.

Upvote 31
I m a Huge Charles Lindbergh fan. Both of them. The first solo Atlantic flight and the flag raiser on Iwo Jima.
This token is very very cool! I saw the only example I have seen in the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian Air and Space museum Annex at Dulles International. Definitely cool.

Hello Johncoho. Nice digs!! That LL token is too right...got your wheaties too I see...well done. Thanks for the post and Good Luck out there. C9

it is a really cool feeling when your pin pointer is sounded off on coins everywhere, especially on better coins. The token is very cool of course as tokens are always welcome at my house

nice token - I have found 2 so far - one little bigger than a quarter - the other size of a half :icon_thumright:

Great finds after a lot of digging. The token is fascinating. I also liked seeing what an unidentifiable green coin looks like after elelectrolosis. Thanks!

Well done sir. I am liking that Lindbergh token.

GL to you!

What you "found" was a penny hunt for kids. When I was young, we did these all the time at family gatherings and Church picnics. Someone would get a pile of sawdust and throw a bunch of coins (usually pennies) in it for the kids to find. They were never all found and what was left was thrown out with the sawdust when it was over. When I was a little older and got my first metal detector, I'd go through the pile of sawdust after everyone was done pawing through it to find what they missed.

My best find of these was an old picnic area from the 1940's and 1950's. I found six of these penny hunt areas, but they were mostly wheats. I could tell what they were because of the huge concentration of coins in a relatively small area, plus each coin still had sawdust around it, even after 20 to 30 years in the ground.

Scott

Great finds after a lot of digging. The token is fascinating. I also liked seeing what an unidentifiable green coin looks like after elelectrolosis. Thanks!

I should have done before and after pictures on the green blob.

What you "found" was a penny hunt for kids. When I was young, we did these all the time at family gatherings and Church picnics. Someone would get a pile of sawdust and throw a bunch of coins (usually pennies) in it for the kids to find. They were never all found and what was left was thrown out with the sawdust when it was over. When I was a little older and got my first metal detector, I'd go through the pile of sawdust after everyone was done pawing through it to find what they missed.

My best find of these was an old picnic area from the 1940's and 1950's. I found six of these penny hunt areas, but they were mostly wheats. I could tell what they were because of the huge concentration of coins in a relatively small area, plus each coin still had sawdust around it, even after 20 to 30 years in the ground.

Scott

I never thought about that, but I think you hit the nail on the head

Nice hunt! The token and pin are cool. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back