A Relic Day in the Field and a Cautionary Tale

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Today, I went out for a couple of hours in between the many house chores. I visited a permission farm field in my home town. I spoke to the farmer (he was walking around in the fields) and he said “you and your friend are the only one with permission to detect…who are these other people I see all the time?” I just looked at him and he said; “I will be calling the police if I see any other vehicle than yours”. After digging a bit deeper, the root of the problem is people are detecting his fields leaving unfilled holes, junk metal and trash (coffee cups, cigarettes…etc.) everywhere; otherwise he doesn’t care. I would imagine this problem exists in other locations around the country, probably the world. Not good for our hobby!

Anyway the keepers were all relics with a very ornate button, buckles, pottery and a few other trinkets. Interesting, no coins were found; this rarely ever happens. The weather was beautiful for detecting with only a slight breeze, cooler temperature with full sun…awesome!

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

Tom  11_12_18.jpg

Upvote 37
Hate to hear that.

Glad to know he didn't revoke your permission!

They’re lucky they didn’t catch some rock salt in the arse, the world is full of inconsiderate idiots.

These people make all of us look bad he should post some no tresspass signs nice relis Doc and good post

Nice finds! :icon_thumleft:

I hope they come back and get arrested. This looks really bad for the rest of us. The owner is probably telling all his neighbors about this, so probably anyone who asks for permission will be denied.

Nice finds proff! I'd suggest the farmer put out some game cameras and try and catch the "nighthawks" and pass the info on to police!

I am running into the same problem in my area. I even have two guys that have been kicked off of one of my permissions fields and yet they are still hitting it. They leave really bad plugs everywhere they go. This is a small town and it has caused me to lose other permissions.

Great Finds Doc! I'm glad the guy knows not everyone is disrespectful by seeing your actions!

Kace

We weren't so lucky this past weekend, GREAT permission, farm fields. Dug my first what appears to me my first KG there this summer. We hit one field, patiently waiting for the beans to come off the other...omg I SWEAR that field was the last one in my county to be cleared. But anyway, BEANS ARE OFF!...we haul a** out there and talk to the farmer. Turns out, the last time we were there, a group of 4-5 vehicles showed up the next day with 8-10 dunder-heads putting around with detectors. This is one of those standing permissions we have, we just have to notify Mr. Farmer when or before we go, and he thought that that was us out there, with a bunch of un-invited, unwelcome friends. Nope, not us...but WE are surely paying the price for it. I CANNOT comprehend that many people showing up without permission and not one of them asking. PRIMO site...down the crapper. Ddf.

Unfortunately things have changed over the years and we live in a society that thinks if you can do it I should be able to do it too. It doesn’t matter that you worked hard to keep on the owners good side. They think they have the right and it doesn’t matter that they leave a mess and don’t share finds with the owner.

When people see you detecting it makes them think it’s ok for them. Lucky for me I live in an area where there aren’t a lot of other detectorists and I only had a problem once on a public field. They turned it into a parking lot a month later so it didn’t make a lot of difference.

I do have to get written permission to detect some parks and I have to renew it yearly. In some places I have to call ahead of time to let the owner know I am coming. If someone shows up without the call or the written permission they know it isn’t me.

I can see things getting tougher in the future if this keeps up. Unfortunately there is no cure for stupid and inconsiderate.

Nice relics Professor. I think we have all related to a situation like that one time or another. I know I have. I always get permission from people who own the property. Farmers will tell me that they thought it was me in the field, and it turns out to be someone else they had to run off. Luckily, I know the community and not one farmer or land owner has revoked my permission because of the stupidity of a trespasser.

Nice finds Pro. I'm sure the problem will get fixed.

Well Done on the relics Doc. Congrat's to you with Continued Success to you on your permission sites.

I recently got permission for a small cornfield after several days of trying to contact the owner. She was very impressed when I told her that simply seeing other MDs in a field doesn’t imply permission for everyone and that I DO NOT go on private property without explicit permission. I don’t bring others along without permission and I tell the owners the names of those I will bring. I didn’t find anything banner worthy but I may have opened the door to some large fields she owns nearby. I’d hate to lose this place because some sh—heads left holes and trash.

On occasion I also get the farmer who has no problem with folks in his fields, but I still like to let him know who I am and that I’m a responsible MDr.

Unfortunately, the “poachers” who get a thrill out of sneaking onto properties ruin it for the rest of us.
HH
dts

No code of ethics will kill this hobby for us all if I ever see it I will confront them myself. Nice finds my friend..:icon_thumright:

Ugh, that sucks. I'm sorry about the PoE. Not what you want to hear. Unfortunately there are bad apples in this hobby like there are everywhere else :-/

Andy Sipowicz said it best-----"you're on MY block" :angry4: :cussing: now:walk: away

hope they don't wear a mask like THOSE OTHER unwanted MOBS:BangHead:

Nice Doc
Glad you still have your permission. We always try and leave any place we hunt cleaner then we found it I have found that it always pays to respect others property fill all holes and take junk with you Thanks for your post may wake some folks up

Yep, it is a shame but the mentality is prevalent in our so called "society" these days. Its based on jealousy. If you're seen detecting a field, more than once then you * must* be on a gold mine! And it just ain't fair!! That just cuz you go thru all the proper hoops. Locate the owner, get permission, etc. It ain't fair *you* should have *ALL* that to your lone self!

Another correlation is the concept of: You go ahead, do the right thing. Get educated, get a job, work hard, make that money! When I need some....I'll just come and take yours.

Sad commentary on life as its becoming. But, as I see it? Hang on to your shorts...its going to do nothing but get worse. Bad thought? Maybe, but I suspect, closer to the truth than we ever want to admit.

Anyway, glad you have an understanding owner and he didn't just pull the plug, for *everybody*!

Keep on keeping on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back