What's new

A Saxon Site - Day 4 - BIG Hammered!

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,314
Reaction score
48,596
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We gridded on for another 5 hours 15 minutes. This year we decided to cover an area at the far end of the field that produced very little, hence only done once. Glad we did because thats where the big hammered was hidding. We have also now covered 90% of the good Saxon Area & are unlikely to get a Sceat or other Saxon artefacts.:sadsmiley: Still we had plenty of bonus finds we never expected.

17th C Buckle
Lead Dog
Medieval Horse Pendant
Jetton
Poor quality Hammered
Charles I SHILLING 1641-3 It's only our 4 ever Shilling of any King/Queen.
Also I got a 1677-79 Scottish Copper Turner - Another FIRST!

That gold colour 10 Cent Euro made me swallow my tongue.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    207.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    148.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    149.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    103.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    145.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 6.webp
    6.webp
    114 KB · Views: 172
  • 7.webp
    7.webp
    158.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 8.webp
    8.webp
    153.5 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 28
I like the lead Dog.
I assume when you say 4th only shilling that you mean "hammered" shilling ?
Ignorance accounted for (on my part) Congrats on a great find. I love those early portraits.
 
Fabulous looking coin...but what about that hottie in the blue and red?....:laughing7:
 
Another outstanding day for you guys, and congrats on that big silver. I can't believe you don't find many of those shillings over there with all the hammereds you dig. I've personally dug 3 from Charles I over here plus a half crown, and others have been recovered by some of my friends. Very strange indeed!

We now have 2 Charles I Shillings & 1 Halfcrown. For the most part I search farm fields where the labourers were, I don't do any high status Medieval Sites, although we tried 1 & found very little. This loss is probably associated with a major roadway stop.
I think those that could afford to flee to your area had wealth & took it, so the percentages of small to large change is the opposite of the sites I do.
 
I would love to find a Charles I coin over here. It was an important time in American history too that's rarely written about. A lot of our prominent Virginia families were Royalists who fled to here and they really changed our political landscape. I think Bill D. found a Commonwealth hammered a year or so ago, that's another one I would love to find. Great finds as usual Cru!

You just highlighted the reason that the larger coins turn up more often in the US.
 
Nice big hammered! I had a good laugh with your 10 Eurocents. My Lady had the same last week with the 10 Cents. They really look like gold in the ground...

My exact thoughts were as follows, I'm doing a very trashy edge that backs onto Gardens & I look up left to a treehouse & think, 'some kid may has thrown down a coin'. At that very moment I dig a Gold looking coin, my first thought flys out my head & I think 'I don't believe its a gold coin, odd size, what type...' Then I do believe because its a 2000 dated coin thrown by the kid I just imagined!
 
I like the lead Dog.
I assume when you say 4th only shilling that you mean "hammered" shilling ?
Ignorance accounted for (on my part) Congrats on a great find. I love those early portraits.

Yes, our 4th Hammered Shilling; 2 Lizzies & 2 Charles I.
 
We now have 2 Charles I Shillings & 1 Halfcrown. For the most part I search farm fields where the labourers were, I don't do any high status Medieval Sites, although we tried 1 & found very little. This loss is probably associated with a major roadway stop.
I think those that could afford to flee to your area had wealth & took it, so the percentages of small to large change is the opposite of the sites I do.

You're absolutely right Cru. As you may remember, the site where I found all my coins was owned by a wealthy settler who was a supporter of Charles I, and who had fled England to avoid imprisonment or death. But we don't find sites like that around here too often, as most are small, remote settlements where the occupants had little in the way of coinage. But if you hit enough of these sites the totals start adding up.
 
Nice going on the shilling not a often dug hammered for sure, I know the ticker would of skipped a beat seeing the edge of that 2000 coin in the dirt, and the mind would of been screaming No Way!. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom