What's new

✅ SOLVED A slew of mystery items from near civil war encampment

OhioTrevor

Full Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2020
Messages
137
Reaction score
549
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any help identifying these mystery objects would be much appreciated. The token with a "1" on one side and J M Decky's , 165 Ace Street, is the biggest mystery. It's written in cursive on the opposite side but is very hard to read, let alone photograph.

PS: learned that the 1914 wheat would have been worth $$$ with a D mint mark.

IMG_0026.webpIMG_0024.webpIMG_0028 (3).webpIMG_0028.webpIMG_0028 (2).webpIMG_0028 (1).webp
 
Last edited:
The first item you have circled is an organ reed. The gear from the lower photo is from a Bendix rear bicycle hub from the middle 60's. Gary
 
Upvote 0
The cylindrical item above the row of coins on the bottom right, is a Ford Model T valve stem cover.
 
Upvote 0
The threaded one I believe is a keyring pill box cap
 
Upvote 0
The threaded cap looks like it goes to one of these. it's a vile to put a loved ones ashes in. images (1).webp
 
Upvote 0
Your "1 token" piece IMO is what would be called a "merchandise" token...

Also known as a "business" token. its age looks Civil war era but I am not in any way an expert in these... and only an opinion from this angle.

Anyway... is there anything on the back > ?
 
Upvote 0
Here is a "similar"...

imagesHVJJ32MW.webp
 
Upvote 0
The threaded cap looks like it goes to one of these. it's a vile to put a loved ones ashes in. View attachment 1862036


A friend of mine suffered from angina and carried something similar on his key-chain with nitro pills. They've been around a since the mid 1800's.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks ToddsPoint. Much appreciated. Any clue on this one?

IMG_0022.webp
 
Upvote 0
Thanks CaptEsteban, I thought is was the handle of a screw driver. Really appreciate all you guys pitching in to help educate me! :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
Thank you Icewing! That makes sense! Appreciate it very much.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info AARC! I'll take a picture tonight and send it to you. The inscription is visible under a microscope but my attempts to photograph were unsuccessful. I'll try again.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks Charlie!! Very helpful. I'm pretty sure this one is sterling.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you Charlie P. (NY)
 
Upvote 0
A friend of mine suffered from angina...

Sorry. My dyslexia kicked in and I thought it said "suffered from Angelina". There are no pills to alleviate that suffering...
 
Upvote 0
A friend of mine suffered from angina and carried something similar on his key-chain with nitro pills. They've been around a since the mid 1800's.
;;

That's right. I carry a small vial like that to hold nitro pills for my heart pain. So far I've never had to use one... working on 22 years now!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom