halfdime
Silver Member
- Joined
- Oct 31, 2006
- Messages
- 4,518
- Reaction score
- 1,499
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Zelienople
- Detector(s) used
- White's XLT
- #1
Thread Owner
A smokin' privy!
I've been detecting an old home site in the neighborhood where I grew up; a 90 year old man who still lives nearby was just born when the site was abandoned by his parents. When I asked him if he remembered where there might have been a privy, he described another location, closer to the house he grew up in. That area is overgrown a bit right now, and it made sense to me that there should have been one closer to the original site. Last Sunday, I was doing some detecting there and noticed the telltale depression in the ground where a privy should have been. I had my probe with me and pushed it easily into the ground almost four feet; BINGO! Today was the day I chose to dig it; it was sunny, with a high about 62. Not too hot, that's for sure. The dirt was dry and almost powder all the way down (which, in this case, was between 3-4 feet). In the pit were lots of bottles and pieces of pottery; the intact ones are shown here. Left in the hole were three or four of the old "Patented Nov 30, 1858" aqua Mason jars; unfortunately, they were all broken
. What I was able to salvage made it a good day, however. A clay pitcher with a little nick and a crack: keeper. Two bottles from druggists in nearby communities: Rochester and New Brighton, PA. These are firsts for me, after about a dozen or more privies in the last year. A Carter's ink bottle, unfortunately broken
. Another first, for me, were five clay pipe bowls; what happened to the stems, and what they were made of, I don't know. I don't know how well the pictures will turn out, but there were at least three other embossed bottles: " F Browns Ess(ence) of Jamaica Ginger PHILA, Billings Clapp & Co. Chemists, Boston and a small Brown bottle HK Milford & Co Chemists, Philadelphia. It was a very interesting dig! I was able to sift and refill the hole in less than four hours. No coins, no clay marbles, but I'll take what I got!
I've been detecting an old home site in the neighborhood where I grew up; a 90 year old man who still lives nearby was just born when the site was abandoned by his parents. When I asked him if he remembered where there might have been a privy, he described another location, closer to the house he grew up in. That area is overgrown a bit right now, and it made sense to me that there should have been one closer to the original site. Last Sunday, I was doing some detecting there and noticed the telltale depression in the ground where a privy should have been. I had my probe with me and pushed it easily into the ground almost four feet; BINGO! Today was the day I chose to dig it; it was sunny, with a high about 62. Not too hot, that's for sure. The dirt was dry and almost powder all the way down (which, in this case, was between 3-4 feet). In the pit were lots of bottles and pieces of pottery; the intact ones are shown here. Left in the hole were three or four of the old "Patented Nov 30, 1858" aqua Mason jars; unfortunately, they were all broken
. What I was able to salvage made it a good day, however. A clay pitcher with a little nick and a crack: keeper. Two bottles from druggists in nearby communities: Rochester and New Brighton, PA. These are firsts for me, after about a dozen or more privies in the last year. A Carter's ink bottle, unfortunately broken
. Another first, for me, were five clay pipe bowls; what happened to the stems, and what they were made of, I don't know. I don't know how well the pictures will turn out, but there were at least three other embossed bottles: " F Browns Ess(ence) of Jamaica Ginger PHILA, Billings Clapp & Co. Chemists, Boston and a small Brown bottle HK Milford & Co Chemists, Philadelphia. It was a very interesting dig! I was able to sift and refill the hole in less than four hours. No coins, no clay marbles, but I'll take what I got!Attachments
-
albertsprivy 001 (Small).webp20 KB · Views: 391 -
albertsprivy 002 (Small).webp17.9 KB · Views: 392 -
albertsprivy 012 (Small).webp29.6 KB · Views: 391 -
albertsprivy 010 (Small).webp23.7 KB · Views: 382 -
albertsprivy 008 (Small).webp23.5 KB · Views: 387 -
albertsprivy 007 (Small).webp21.3 KB · Views: 391 -
albertsprivy 006 (Small).webp36.9 KB · Views: 384 -
albertsprivy 005 (Small).webp53.9 KB · Views: 394 -
albertsprivy 004 (Small).webp58.2 KB · Views: 397 -
albertsprivy 013 (Small).webp31.5 KB · Views: 378
jgas
Seriously though, goodluck, stay safe, dig in pairs and you will find some great things. 






