A smokin privy!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
A smokin' privy!

I've been detecting an old home site in the neighborhood where I grew up; a 90 year old man who still lives nearby was just born when the site was abandoned by his parents. When I asked him if he remembered where there might have been a privy, he described another location, closer to the house he grew up in. That area is overgrown a bit right now, and it made sense to me that there should have been one closer to the original site. Last Sunday, I was doing some detecting there and noticed the telltale depression in the ground where a privy should have been. I had my probe with me and pushed it easily into the ground almost four feet; BINGO! Today was the day I chose to dig it; it was sunny, with a high about 62. Not too hot, that's for sure. The dirt was dry and almost powder all the way down (which, in this case, was between 3-4 feet). In the pit were lots of bottles and pieces of pottery; the intact ones are shown here. Left in the hole were three or four of the old "Patented Nov 30, 1858" aqua Mason jars; unfortunately, they were all broken :'(. What I was able to salvage made it a good day, however. A clay pitcher with a little nick and a crack: keeper. Two bottles from druggists in nearby communities: Rochester and New Brighton, PA. These are firsts for me, after about a dozen or more privies in the last year. A Carter's ink bottle, unfortunately broken :'(. Another first, for me, were five clay pipe bowls; what happened to the stems, and what they were made of, I don't know. I don't know how well the pictures will turn out, but there were at least three other embossed bottles: " F Browns Ess(ence) of Jamaica Ginger PHILA, Billings Clapp & Co. Chemists, Boston and a small Brown bottle HK Milford & Co Chemists, Philadelphia. It was a very interesting dig! I was able to sift and refill the hole in less than four hours. No coins, no clay marbles, but I'll take what I got!

Attachments

• albertsprivy 001 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 001 (Small).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 344
  • albertsprivy 002 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 002 (Small).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 352
  • albertsprivy 012 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 012 (Small).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 342
  • albertsprivy 010 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 010 (Small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 346
  • albertsprivy 008 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 008 (Small).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 348
  • albertsprivy 007 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 007 (Small).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 348
  • albertsprivy 006 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 006 (Small).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 349
  • albertsprivy 005 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 005 (Small).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 357
  • albertsprivy 004 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 004 (Small).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 354
  • albertsprivy 013 (Small).jpg
    albertsprivy 013 (Small).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 342
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: A smokin' privy!

Oops, I almost forgot: this dark green (wine?) bottle. It has a concave bottom like a modern day wine bottle and no other identifying marks, not even seams.

Attachments

• albertswine 001 (Small).jpg
    albertswine 001 (Small).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 339
  • albertswine 002 (Small).jpg
    albertswine 002 (Small).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 355

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Nice job Halfdime!!! That green one might have been an Ale bottle too. But who really knows. Those have cool tops. I have found a few and they are on the cabinet in the kitchen. They sure do clean up nice. Looks like ya grabbed a pumpkinseed flask. Those are usually 1880-90 or earlier. Looks like a bitters or sarsaparilla in the basket as well. I love the first clay pitcher. Those are hard to come by as intact as this one is. There are surely more pits out there. I would be probing that general area where this one was and you should find more. I don't know if you are familiar with privies much but I find that the sunken ones are generally coal ash types(newer) and the wood ash ones are older. The coal ash ones would make the tell tale depressions in the ground as well as possible cistern areas.

I hope ya go grab up some more because by the looks of what ya started with you might just jump into a pontil pit!!! :thumbsup: Nice digs buddy. ;D jgas

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

We have an older site the other direction we're trying to find the privy for. Wish us luck!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sunday, lets get back out there on Sunday!!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

You don't need luck.....you need a shovel and a ticket for me to come down there and sling some dirt :tongue3: Seriously though, goodluck, stay safe, dig in pairs and you will find some great things. :thumbsup: jgas

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

halfdime nice work. That cream pitcher reminds me of one some Boston privy guys got a few years ago. The bottom was broken out of it and it had cobalt designs, and was made in the early 1800's by a prominent Boston stoneware maker. It was so rare and important that it sold for $65,000 at auction, broken. This is not a typo. Keep at it, you never know when you will hit big paydirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread