🥇 BANNER A SOLID GOLD THIMBLE!

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Hi everyone,

I haven’t been very active lately but I do look at the finds dug and posted here! I just found something that just have to share with all of you! I was out with Buckleboy who is my husband, and I managed to dig this lovely 1876-S dime! I had never dug an S mint coin so this was my first.

21852FB7-F29F-482D-92FF-FB41637D34DC.jpeg 3C178D62-04CF-4D8E-95E8-BFD86EA14D9D.jpeg

(Buckleboy wasn’t finding anything the whole day long ). It was a long day in some pretty brutal heat. When I got back to the truck I was changing out of my boots and looked over and saw something gold shining right on top of the ground a few feet away! It was a Solid Gold Thimble which had washed out of the ground near where we parked in the field!!

EFBD661E-7A1F-49F8-A409-DCF47CB2DF43.jpeg

When I bent down to pick it up I could see that it was monogrammed! Buckleboy and I looked up the plantation ownership deeds and we figured out who this thimble belonged to! I won’t reveal a specific name due to secrecy of the site we are detecting, but the woman that the thimble belonged to was born in 1841 and married in the late 1850s to a wealthy planter. We imagine that this thimble was a courtship gift, as it bears her maiden name initials and was found at her parents’ plantation home site (now just a sugar cane field with no trace). So that dates this thimble to between 1857 and 1859, depending on the length of their courtship. I’m totally thrilled to dig this beautiful relic. Haven’t seen a gold thimble posted here before. It’s amazing that it survived the plow!

BA35083F-5EEB-4AEC-AE80-E0BF0F5BAD09.jpeg

All cleaned up at home:

IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG

This is going to put a smile on my face all week!

F4C65DA2-8DD9-42C5-8575-1752208B9D94.jpeg

-Diggergirl

Last edited:
Upvote 212

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is awesome big congrats. Really cool you can track down who owned that thimble.

You had to have some money back then to own a piece like that. I'm sure you guys will go over that site hard.

Jer

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still looking for a silver one great find some rich person lost that bad boy

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible!! Congrats on an EPIC find!!

Never seen one before.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggergirl that is a fantastic find!!! The fact that you were able to do some research and identify the original owner is amazing. I can see from the smile on your face how excited you are! Congrats on a well deserved BANNER!

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my wife has solved why it was outside on the ground. She said if I gave her a gold thimble She would have chucked at me as I was running out the door to get a new gift. :dontknow::laughing7:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I haven’t been very active lately but I do look at the finds dug and posted here! I just found something that just have to share with all of you! I was out with Buckleboy who is my husband, and I managed to dig this lovely 1876-S dime! I had never dug an S mint coin so this was my first.

View attachment 1724534 View attachment 1724535

(Buckleboy wasn’t finding anything the whole day long ). It was a long day in some pretty brutal heat. When I got back to the truck I was changing out of my boots and looked over and saw something gold shining right on top of the ground a few feet away! It was a Solid Gold Thimble which had washed out of the ground near where we parked in the field!!

View attachment 1724536

When I bent down to pick it up I could see that it was monogrammed! Buckleboy and I looked up the plantation ownership deeds and we figured out who this thimble belonged to! I won’t reveal a specific name due to secrecy of the site we are detecting, but the woman that the thimble belonged to was born in 1841 and married in the late 1850s to a wealthy planter. We imagine that this thimble was a courtship gift, as it bears her maiden name initials and was found at her parents’ plantation home site (now just a sugar cane field with no trace). So that dates this thimble to between 1857 and 1859, depending on the length of their courtship. I’m totally thrilled to dig this beautiful relic. Haven’t seen a gold thimble posted here before. It’s amazing that it survived the plow!

View attachment 1724542

All cleaned up at home:

View attachment 1724561 View attachment 1724560

This is going to put a smile on my face all week!

View attachment 1724547

-Diggergirl

Great Eye Diggergirl .

Machines are not always needed , (you have proven ) Just Rain with a bit of wind.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my wife has solved why it was outside on the ground. She said if I gave her a gold thimble She would have chucked at me as I was running out the door to get a new gift. :dontknow::laughing7:

Oh certain Wives / ladies , don't they know it's the thought that counts ?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still looking for a silver one great find some rich person lost that bad boy

I don't recall ever finding a silver one , most are aluminum , & maybe a few brass or pewter types.

I have bought a few cool silver ones at "Spot" prices .

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply breathtaking!! Ive found two silvers but never even dreamed about a gold thimble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
I've only seen one such recovery before in my home state of RI. Congrats on an impressive banner find. Your research paid off. A gold thimble is certainly impressive, but a gold thimble dating pre-Civil War is off the charts! :notworthy:

thank you so much silver tree!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
That’s got to be a BANNER. I’ve never seen any thimble anywhere CLOSE to that, and as far as artifacts go, along with the provenance...BANNER!! You have officially used ALL of your luck for this month and part of nexts....

hahaha we will see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread