xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been on here in a bit because I recently became a father! Better than any treasure I could ever find! I've turned into a lean mean diaper changing machine. My wife told me that as a fathers day gift I could go do some detecting so I met up with some friends the day before the big "F-Day". The spot was an old homesite and I didn't have particularly high hopes of any finds. Got there at Dad time (6:30 am) and started sweeping. The silver bandit showed up and wouldn't you know it right around 7:00 am about five minutes in for him he found a copper! It was a Mass copper in great condition. That was exciting maybe there were more! Within about three minutes I had a copper too! It turned out to be an 1827 Matron head! Nice!!!! My day was absolutely made! The bandit announced that he believed that he had found a rare version of the Mass copper that was worth big money. We are talking 15,000 in the lowest grade in PCGS. We were all shocked. Maybe even just a little jealous of the bandit. Maybe with a professional cleaning it would grade higher. The sky was the limit. We were all riding high of that find. That's more valuable than a gold coin I exclaimed! 4 hours later we were ready to wrap it up. I looked at PCGS and quickly realized that it was the wrong version of the coin. I had to break it to the bandit that his coin wasn't quite record book coin we thought. Damn better luck next time. Still pretty lucky though I have yet to find a Mass copper in Ma. I tooth picked this one and used some Andre's Pencils action. It has some nice detail but didn't come out quite as pristine as I thought it would. Still it's a great find for me! Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_6949.JPG
    IMG_6949.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6948.JPG
    IMG_6948.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 72
Upvote 26

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story and largie!!! Happy first father’s day!!!!!!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a real nice find. Congrats. I think someone on here will let you know how to clean it even more to show more detail without any damage. Good luck.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great finds. Well done also on earning a difficult to obtain permission... not on the property, I mean from the wife! :laughing7:

Any chance you could post a pic of the Mass copper? That would be cool to see. Had to be heart-stopping for a bit on that one.

Congrats on the great copper and a terrific day out! :skullflag: :occasion14:

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a real nice find. Congrats. I think someone on here will let you know how to clean it even more to show more detail without any damage. Good luck.

Thanks Hawks88. I am not sure it can be cleaned any more as those areas that look like dirt are corrosion. I think that maybe a light tumble would make it look more appealing but I don't want to lose detail. I have a club meeting coming up so I'll see if any one with more exp has advice. It's just a beat up largie but every one is special to me!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great finds. Well done also on earning a difficult to obtain permission... not on the property, I mean from the wife! :laughing7:

Any chance you could post a pic of the Mass copper? That would be cool to see. Had to be heart-stopping for a bit on that one.

Congrats on the great copper and a terrific day out! :skullflag: :occasion14:

Getting the permission was almost as good as making the find! ha! I'll see if I can get a pic of the Mass copper.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Fatherhood & congrats on the copper, very nice save, be careful cleaning, they spoil easily

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the old copper and and "Bandit's" Mass copper! :occasion14:

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Fatherhood & congrats on the copper, very nice save, be careful cleaning, they spoil easily

Thank you Inspector!!! I am always careful but it always involves a little guesswork on my part what the best cleaning method is. Sometimes I want more than the coin can give without taking away from the integrity of the coin surface. It's always better when the coin is in really nice condition!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on being a Father smoke a cigar from me nice finds as well

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on becoming a father. Babies sleep a lot, so you should still get to detect:laughing7:. I have four school age boys myself, which makes it difficult to go detecting, as I am usually driving someone somewhere. Oh well, it is worth it. Nice large cent, though I would love to see the Mass copper. That is high on my bucket list too. Again, congrats on the baby-those are exciting days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread