🥇 BANNER A SOLID GOLD THIMBLE!

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Hi everyone,

I haven’t been very active lately but I do look at the finds dug and posted here! I just found something that just have to share with all of you! I was out with Buckleboy who is my husband, and I managed to dig this lovely 1876-S dime! I had never dug an S mint coin so this was my first.

21852FB7-F29F-482D-92FF-FB41637D34DC.jpeg 3C178D62-04CF-4D8E-95E8-BFD86EA14D9D.jpeg

(Buckleboy wasn’t finding anything the whole day long ). It was a long day in some pretty brutal heat. When I got back to the truck I was changing out of my boots and looked over and saw something gold shining right on top of the ground a few feet away! It was a Solid Gold Thimble which had washed out of the ground near where we parked in the field!!

EFBD661E-7A1F-49F8-A409-DCF47CB2DF43.jpeg

When I bent down to pick it up I could see that it was monogrammed! Buckleboy and I looked up the plantation ownership deeds and we figured out who this thimble belonged to! I won’t reveal a specific name due to secrecy of the site we are detecting, but the woman that the thimble belonged to was born in 1841 and married in the late 1850s to a wealthy planter. We imagine that this thimble was a courtship gift, as it bears her maiden name initials and was found at her parents’ plantation home site (now just a sugar cane field with no trace). So that dates this thimble to between 1857 and 1859, depending on the length of their courtship. I’m totally thrilled to dig this beautiful relic. Haven’t seen a gold thimble posted here before. It’s amazing that it survived the plow!

BA35083F-5EEB-4AEC-AE80-E0BF0F5BAD09.jpeg

All cleaned up at home:

IMG_2049.JPG IMG_2050.JPG

This is going to put a smile on my face all week!

F4C65DA2-8DD9-42C5-8575-1752208B9D94.jpeg

-Diggergirl

Last edited:
Upvote 212

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never seen a solid gold thimble. Not from that period or from any other period. That's a rare find! Big congratulations!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn, sweet eyeball find!!!!!!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite beautiful!! I think it was likely not a courtship gift, but a gift earlier in her life. Wealthy women in those days took needlepoint lessons and I would think it would have been given to her when beginning such lessons. Fantastic find!!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Quite beautiful!! I think it was likely not a courtship gift, but a gift earlier in her life. Wealthy women in those days took needlepoint lessons and I would think it would have been given to her when beginning such lessons. Fantastic find!!

Wow! So that would date the thimble in the late 1840s or early 1850s!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Gold thimble. Didn’t even know they were ever made. That’s a first for my eyes. Congrats!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful, and IMO, rare, find! I'm happy to be the first to say that it deserves the banner vote I am submitting now.

Congrats on such a beautiful find!

If my wife found that, I'd be getting quite an earful about it...

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
holy crap!! great find just voted banner!

OP
OP
diggergrl

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
That is one beautiful, and IMO, rare, find! I'm happy to be the first to say that it deserves the banner vote I am submitting now.

Congrats on such a beautiful find!

thank you so much for the banner vote, I’m honored!

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what kind of person is sewing with a gold thimble. I’m guessing a rich one.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you so much for the banner vote, I’m honored!

Its not only the beauty and rarity of this thimble that make it worthy of banner - but the fact that you did the research to identify the owner and gave us all a good story to enjoy and we can be happy for you. Congrats again!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
oooo that is a fantastic find. Don't ever recall seeing a gold thimble posted. Very cool. That relic is Banner worthy for sure.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is AWESOME! I have never seen a gold thimble before and can't remember any on this site in the last several years! Thanks for sharing what you could of the story! I'm voting banner on this one as it seems to be a rare find! Banner!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the first gold thimble I have seen and thankfully it wasn't squished by tractor tires. I'm giving that one a Banner vote.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting point. While we might think a solid gold thimble would be a very sweet courtship gift, such a gift could backfire. A wealthy young lady might think "Well, if he thinks I'm about to start sewing his buttons back on his shirt or coat..."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread