What's new

A student of mine found this when it fell on his head...Im envious.

TrpnBils

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
873
Reaction score
1,234
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A student of mine found this when it fell on his head...I'm envious.

One of my 12th graders brought this into school on Monday for me to take a look at.... he's working on renovating a cabin built in 1807. Last weekend they tore out a ceiling and when they pulled out one section he had something hit his head and then clang onto the ground. He found it a few minutes later while they were moving debris out to the dumpster.... 1807 draped bust half dollar! The theory is that the original owner put it there as a commemorative thing so the coin would have been brand new when it was left there. Why am I not this lucky? :headbang:

On the other hand, he was able to get me in contact with the owner and I've got permission to hunt the yard in the spring!
 

Attachments

  • obv.webp
    obv.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 494
  • rev.webp
    rev.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Upvote 98
I would suggest letting him borrow a metal detector and bringing him along, his luck may rub off on you and you may introduced someone to a future hobby. Amazing Coin, tell him Congrats for me.
 
Awesome! At lest you have a new opportunity now!
I hear Ya on that one, I'm never in the right place either when money falls out if the sky! :confused::eek::D
 
All I ever get hit in the head with are acorns and walnuts. Some guys have all the luck!
 
WOW! That is incredible. Hopefully he searches around that cabin for anything else that was maybe left behind. That thing has a really nice tone to it :notworthy:

...Are you going to advise him on cleaning/selling and possibly slabbing?

I was actually thinking the same thing. Its GREAT that he left it as it is with that tone on it. Hopefully he knows not to clean it with anything harmful. I collected coins when I was his age, so I knew not to clean, but I bet the majority of kids would not. He really found something incredible.

Best of luck detecting this site and cant wait to see what you dig up.
 
That's quite the find....on the PCGS site in AU condition that coin is going for $6250.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Beautiful coin! Awesome story! Best of luck with the permission hunt!
 
Beautiful silver half!
 
That's so crazy! Lucky guy!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom