What's new

A student of mine found this when it fell on his head...Im envious.

TrpnBils

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
873
Reaction score
1,234
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A student of mine found this when it fell on his head...I'm envious.

One of my 12th graders brought this into school on Monday for me to take a look at.... he's working on renovating a cabin built in 1807. Last weekend they tore out a ceiling and when they pulled out one section he had something hit his head and then clang onto the ground. He found it a few minutes later while they were moving debris out to the dumpster.... 1807 draped bust half dollar! The theory is that the original owner put it there as a commemorative thing so the coin would have been brand new when it was left there. Why am I not this lucky? :headbang:

On the other hand, he was able to get me in contact with the owner and I've got permission to hunt the yard in the spring!
 

Attachments

  • obv.webp
    obv.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 494
  • rev.webp
    rev.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Upvote 98
Beautiful! :thumbsup: Good luck next spring on the yard.

HH
 
.... Why am I not this lucky? ...

History if full of accidental finds like this. And each one makes us sick ! :) Gardener/construction worker finds something good, etc.... :)
 
Very cool. As to it being new when placed there I'd say that based on the condition it was probably not new or freshly minted but placed there within a few years of being minted.
 
When I zoomed in on the obverse (to the degree that was possible ) I could see tons of detail in the hair - that coin is in nice shape !
What a dream come true find !!!
 
Awesome find .Good thing he searched for the item that struck his head,it was certainly a lucky boy there.
 
I think I would have been glad to have it give me a black eye.
 
I'd say he hid it on a ledge or in a tight space and it just stayed there. I can only imagine all the 1970s treasure here!
 
Wow! Lucky he was paying attention and found it. It was really awesome of him to help you get the permission.
 
That's amazing!!! Our house was built in 2008. I put in an extra phone jack a year ago and I dropped a handful of 1940's Canadian pennies and 40's-50's Wheaties down into the wall. In 100 years, when someone hunts my cellar holes, they'll have something cool to find...or it will screw with their heads a bit lol
 
Very cool. My first 1700s coin was found between the top two stones of the foundation wall. These rough foundations were a great place to hide coins. They also thought it was good luck to put a coin over the front door. I have a few cellar holes that I need to scan. That's a killer coin that found him
 
So did you offer him a dollar for that half? I remember when I was a teenager walking along the Miami-Erie Canal in Minster Ohio, I bent over to pull a weed out of the ground. It came out easily and I noticed something in the roots. It was an 1865 3 cent coin. I knew my father collected both coins and stamps so I gave it to him. I wish you the best when you detect the new permission.
 
Best of luck on the permission, let us know what you find! :thumbsup:

Dave
 
Great toning on the half, and what cool way of finding it.
 
Awesome ! Take note of the patina from being hidden in an interior of the home . More dark tone than the dug silver I see here :dontknow:
 
I can't write my initial reaction full of colorful words, but needless to say I'm shocked and awed! That's absolutely amazing.

Are you going to advise him on cleaning/selling and possibly slabbing?
 
How many of us have actually dug draped bust silver? Id take one of these over most gold coins any day.
 
I'm throwing my detector away & going into the remodeling business ! Great find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom