A tiny wet gold & silver from the weekend, wheat & Costa Rica at the festival grounds

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tiny wet gold & silver from the weekend, wheat & Costa Rica at the festival grounds

I went camping with some of the family over the weekend. There is a decent sized swimming area I can detect in the early morning before the beach gets busy. It was cool overnight (down to 60) and up to almost 90 during the day. The water was a little cooler than expected, but the ATPro and I went to work. I have it set on pro zero with the iron audio on and the iron discrimination set at 30. I use markers and do a grid pattern and scoop up everything with a mid or high tone and some of the bigger low tones just to clean the place up and because they sometimes mask the smaller gold target. The beach and the water were a little quieter than usual. Fewer coins and less nonferrous targets to scoop. I noticed not many people were wearing jewelry and the concession stand now takes all kinds of non cash payments so I guess that?s why the target number is down. It used to be cash only at the stand, everybody had jewelry on and when I got done 4 hours of hunting my goody bag was full and heavy. But you take what you can get.

In 8 hours (2, 4 hour hunts) of gridding the swimming area with the ATPro I did manage to find 42 coins with a face value of $4.90, some tabs, 3 selfie stick retainers, a metal swimwear tag, a zipper, a pile of sinkers, a fish hook, a fishing swivel snap, earring backs, a butterfly pendant, 3 rings, earrings, a nose piece from a pair of glasses and bits of foil.

6F3538A9-5626-4088-B326-82E67EBBA4FB.jpeg

The cute little gold earring with the 2 dangling hearts gave only a whisper of a signal, but I managed to scoop it up and it is marked 585 which means it is 14k. The little silver turtle earring and silver earring back were not strong signals either. When I first scooped up the little ball earring and the hinged one I thought they might be gold, but the test came back negative so no luck on those.

3CCD0014-B423-4FD4-8371-7325BCE80C25.jpeg 1D4847F5-6EC5-4FD8-815F-E7F30050FBFA.jpeg

The markings on the earring back are easy to read, but the marks on the smaller earrings are usually on the post. You need a good magnifying glass, the right light and patience to slowly turn the earring until you can see and read the markings. Because of the wear and tear on the post sometimes they are really weak. This gold one is nice and strong for a change. You can clearly see the Pro Club 585. So if you find an earring that looks good and can?t find a mark on it look very closely at the post. You might have a winner.

A15EBC79-82CD-46B0-8DA5-3F10EA8817BA.jpeg

I spent 5 hours with the CZ21 at the festival grounds hoping for more precious metal, but no luck. I did manage to find 106 coins with a face value of $6.67 (3 coins got hard kisses from the lawn mower), a cheapie bolo tie slide, 2 wheaties, a Costa Rican coin, a kiddie ring, a mushroomed copper clad bullet, can slaw, whole cans, some aluminum tent pegs and the ever present can tabs.

C61CF068-CAF3-486A-AFDE-9E88C76B9749.jpeg

The wheaties are 1927 and 1936 in fair shape. The Costa Rican coin is a 2008 5 colones. The kiddie ring has been mashed. It can probably be straightened. When the bullet came out of the ground I thought it might be a mushroomed civil war cleaner bullet. But after I got the dirt off I could see the curled back copper coating in addition to the base that was visible when it was dug. So just a hunk of lead with no real history.

D8F6F131-94FF-4D4A-996B-6C87C1F12FB9.jpeg C178CF60-49EF-4843-8142-FFBCDF508951.jpeg

So not the super hunt I was hoping for in the water and an ok hunt on land. At least I did well on coins and scored some silver and gold (number 8 gold and numbers 43 and 44 silver since my year started May 1). I doubt this silver bonanza will last, but I have gotten a couple of good permissions that have helped a lot. I just have to enjoy it while it lasts. With out of town guests and an anniversary trip coming up it may be a week before I get out again. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 10

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing!