monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article244400197.html. My cousin's son was with the guy when this was found and sent me a video of it, I knew it was an old bow but just not how old. So I set them up with a friend of mine in Jackson MS.by the name of James Starnes and the rest is history if to say a pun.https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3619736321374658&id=100000149771716 This is the video that was sent to me the day it was found.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a rare find anywhere. An amazing perishable artifact rescued and in incredible condition.

I’d be very interested in the dating process and means and methods used to preserve it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a rare find anywhere. An amazing perishable artifact rescued in incredible condition.

I’d be very interested in the dating process and means and methods used to preserve it.

At the moment it is still in the water that it was found in, just to keep it stable.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since you know that area preserves stuff so well, I would go back and bury some modern stuff for the future! who knows, maybe in 500 more years someone will pull it out and marvel over it like we do this bow

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Just wish we had better pictures of it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool as can be. I remember when I joined here a guy had found a canoe in the mud. Mud will preserve things a long time. Thanks for sharing that.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful find! Very happy it was donated to the NA.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is very cool. I'm glad he's donating it somewhere simply because if he doesn't, the odds of it surviving another 20 years is slim. Bone relics are relatively easy to stabilize and preserve with Gomer's solution, or one of the other methods. Waterlogged wood though... As it dries it contracts and splits, mold, mushrooms, etc. The real problem though is bacteria when it's exposed to oxygen again. It's a more complicated of a task, and something museums can better handle. The bow is pretty thin, but I'd still guess it'll take several months to preserve it.

Those big canoes they find are often more of a headache than anything else. In Florida they record them, and rebury them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions