A vote for a Shriners Hospital patient

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Greetings, This email came to me from a brother Mason who got it from Tampa unit Shriners Hospital and are trying to
spread the word.

Vote for Ben

It's the campaign season and we want you to vote for Ben- 15 year old Ben Carpenter, patient ambassador of Shriners
Hospitals for ChildrenR and upcoming ambassador to the East West Shrine game, Jan. 2011, is a finalist in the Sports
Illustrated Kids, Sports Kid of the Year award nomination.

The SI Sports Kid of the Year award nomination is such an incredible opportunity to get the word out about the ability
and desire to go beyond disabilities and obstacles and to overcome in the face of adversity. Ben exemplifies those
traits! Ben has always said that his mission in life is for people to come away from meeting him saying, "Wow!.. You're
not who I thought you would be."

The ability to carry this message across the country would be such a huge benefit to all those with disabilities. The
exposure to power soccer, and the Shriners Hospitals for ChildrenR cannot be understated. I know that there is a
boy or a girl out there that would benefit from being introduced to Ben as a member of our Shriners family! Thanks
for whatever you can do to "get out the vote" Voting has just started today, Oct. 12, 2010 at

www.sikids.com/skoty10

This week (through the 18th), the finalists are able to receive votes on the website. Your vote for Ben is sincerely
and deeply appreciated!

Sincerely,

Bethanne Demas RN,C ONC
Director of Public Relations, Marketing and outreach Services
Shriners' Hospital for Children-Tampa
12502 USF Pine Dr.
Tampa, Fla 33612
813-975-7115

<http://www.shrinershq.org/hospitals/tampa>
http://www.shrinershq.org/hospitals/tampa

Follow Shriners Hospitals at <http://twitter.com/shosp>
http://twitter.com/shrinershosp

Follow Shriners International at <http://twitter.com/shriners>
http://twitter,com/shriners

Shriners Hospitals for ChildrenR is a health care system of 22 hospitals dedicated to improving the lives of children
by providing specialty pediatric care, innovative research and outstanding teaching programs. Children up to the
age 18 with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for admission
and receive all care in a family-centered environment, regardless of the patients' ability to pay.

Share your heart for giving with others by creating your own personal fundraising web page to benefit
Shriners Hospital for ChildrenR-Tampa.

To learn more or to get started, visit http://www.donate2shc,org/personalfundraising

voted
Shriners have done multiple surgeries on my grandson's feet. He will receive more as he gets older. They aren't charged a dime and they get put up in a Ronald McDonald House when needed. Donating pulltabs to them is not an "urban legend", it's real.

Blacksheep. Thanks. I know he would appreciate your vote. That hospital sure helps a lot of kids and families. I am
glad that they helped your daughter. Thank you for your reply.

Packerbacker, wow. it sounds like your grandson has had a rough time of it and I'm wishing him all the best. Those
Shriners' Hospitals are a Godsend to do so much for the kids and not charge for it. Thanks for your comment.

Ray

voted and happy to do so....and those of us with Facebook pages should post it there too so more people can be exposed to it and maybe vote for Ben :-)

Hello. dpitt8, Yes. that would be great if one or more did that. The more exposure, the better. It might get a few
more votes for him.

Thanks for your response.

Ray

:icon_thumright: The Shriner's Hospitals do wonderful things for for so many at no cost. Another great Masonic charity is
the Knight's Templar Eye Foundation that has preserved or helped restore sight , again at no charge. Both are some of the
most caring of charitable organizations & most deserving of our donations, It's said that the Masonic Fraternity donates at
least one million dollars a day to help those less fortunate. Great post Bro. Ray. Hope Ben wins.

WinhHarvester, you are welcome and thanks for having a part in this.

Sally it sounds like they are well-known to you. Thanks for your response.

Tubecity thank you Brother for the information you put on here that some might not know about. The extra exposure is good
to get out before the public. Hopefully, for Ben, too, this extra exposure can help him to win. I know he would appreciate
all the votes he can get.

Ray

Many thanks for some wonderful work done for the kids, my vote is in. :thumbsup:

Fossis.........

Soupie good for you. Thanks a lot for looking and responding to it'

Sally I agree. I know how much just a small burn , like from a match or a hot pan or something like that, can hurt I
can't imagine all the pain one must suffer when burned over a good share of the body. They would require such
special care and consideration.

Thanks Fossis and thanks for your time to vote.

May God lay a special blessing on all of you who have taken the time to vote for Ben

Hello, Dpitt,, I don't know yet. I haven't been notified so I will try to find out and post it on here. Thank
you for your interest.

Ray

When my son first took my grandson to Shriners he came home with a different outlook on life. My grandson's feet were grossly disfigured but my son said that he was normal compared to some of the other kids there. I have to agree. I went down for a couple visits/treatments and when you walk into that hospital it's like walking into a fantasyland. There are kids lying face down on gurneys with large wheels propelling themselves around the "hospital". There are kids that you can't see their faces because of the bandages but you can see the slight smile through the mouth holes and the sparkle in their eyes. I talked with a little guy, about 10 or so, from Mexico. He was born with one leg longer than the other and he was in there to get his short leg broken again. They break his leg and then pin the bones away from each other. That encourages the healing bones to grow towards each other and will eventually have 2 legs the same length. He told me stories of how the other kids always made fun of him. When I told him that, when he gets back to Mexico, he can kick their butts with his new leg he got really tickled. :D
Something magical about that place; it has a calming, soothing effect on you. I'd go so far as to say "spiritual".

Thank you, Gord, you are right it looks like Ben is now out of the running. I was really hoping that he would get
it. Well, may the best one win.

Packerbacker, that is quite a story. I hope your grandson is having some good progress with his feet.That would be
hard for a little guy to put up with. I'll pray for him and the doctors and everyone that has anything to do with him.
I have never visited the Shriners Hospital but have talked to a few that have and have read some brochures on it.
From that, I would think that it could give a visitor a new outlook on life after viewing in person the patients that
are being treated in there. It would take a real special person to work there.

Ray

When they first got there the doctor told my son that my grandson would never be a marathon runner. My son asked, "How many people are?....all I want him to be able to do is walk behind me with a fishing pole". my grandson can now run although he will need more surgery down the road. Thanks for the prayers Ray, can always use extra prayers but, like my son said, there are others that need them much more. (Might pray that he doesn't hurt himself running into something :icon_thumleft:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back