What's new

A What is it and Why is it - I just dont get it

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
A What is it and Why is it - I just don't get it

I have been hunting a place that has REALLY weird soil. It is a very old site - 17th century - for us on this side of the pond. I dig musket balls in certain areas and they are coated with a brown almost rusty surface. Underneath, they have the "correct" smooth and tan patina. Most have been holed to use as fishing sinkers or seine weights.

There are, however, some that just make no sense. I know there was a house/building that burned in the area but lead usually just melts and I find rough blobs. But I am finding ones in this site - not in the burn area - and the lead is very brittle and crumbles when I try to clean off the crud. Brittle lead? I don't get it.

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • brittle.webp
    brittle.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 612
Re: A What is it and Why is it - I just don't get it

Makes sense to me. Clean out the scrap bin and make yourself some fishing/seine weights. Leave 'em in bad ground for about 200 years and this is what you get.

Wish I had know this before I gave them the lead cleaning method. :tongue3:

Thanks!

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Re: A What is it and Why is it - I just don't get it

:read2:

lead is none ferrous and doesn't dekay, so I guess what you have is something that's like lead, and crumbles...pewter crumbles :)

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom