? About post 2001 halves

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
I see some of you guys and gals save all post 2001 halves saying they were not intended for circulation. But when I look in my 09 red book it says that only 02,03,04,06, and 07 were NIC coins. Are the 05 and 08 worth hanging onto as well? On the crhing front I did 3 halve boxes this weekend. 1st box 1 40%er, 2nd box 3 40%ers and one gold plated 71, and the 3Rd one lone 40%er again. Happy holidays and happy hunting to everyone at TNET. PS. I wish I went through the boxes slower ,it's snowing like crazy here in CT and now I'm stuck inside with a girlfriend with the flu and bored as hell! Please bring me some coins to play with.

Upvote 0
I too found a gold plated 71 the other night out of 2 boxes otherwise they were skunks. Anyone know what the story is on the 71 gold plated halves?

If the gold plated halves are double date stamped, they were put out by I believe the Danbury mint to commemorate Kennedy's assassination. There is a 20 year and a 25 year double date span. When originally put out, there were in a little sealed piece of cardboard with info on it and a serial number.

If there is no double date stamp, then it is simply a random gold palted half, just as you find silver plated, chrome, mercury, etc.

And about the NIFC... to the best of my knowledge the 05's and 08's are also in that category. As far as mintages, the 05 is a little higher than the other NIFC, but the 08 is very low. It is the lowest mintage yet of any kennedy half.

Though you are wrong that all of us keep every one we come across. ;)

I only keep one of each for my own set and then dump the rest back for otther CRH'ers to find.

~Dave

Great finds in those boxes!!! I found a gold plated half the other day but mine was a 1976.

I always think about how you can get anything platinum dipped in the right part of town.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Now I'll go through my dumps and pull out the 05s and 08s before i dump em !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back